Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Too many Videos!!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Nata1

You guys remember when I was whining about not enough videos?  Now we got more videos to keep me busy for a month!  Awesome - Scoble wasn't kidding.

think they'll keep coming like this?  That Marc McDonald video was Awesome BTW - I was rocking out to that one, about 5 times!  That one was in my five favorite Channel9 videos list.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I'm still in the midst of downloading the .NET CLR Security Team video, as well as the Software Factories video. It'll keep me busy for a while, thanks guys! I don't think the flow of videos will stop. There might be a dry spot for a day or two at the beginning of PDC, but I'm guessing after that Scoble will be motivated to get some of those videos out the door to show us all the cool things being shown there.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Tyler, actually the dry spot will probably come about a week after the PDC. I'm wearing myself out and will need some time off. Monday will be the low point, with three videos.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

What kind of video do you like? I'll tell you which ones to watch based on that.

The CLR Security one is a good one. I thought the Virtual Earth hacks one was fascinating. There's lots of innovation coming in maps, so that's one area I am watching very closely.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

scobleizer wrote:
    Tyler, actually the dry spot will probably come about a week after the PDC. I'm wearing myself out and will need some time off. Monday will be the low point, with three videos.
    Guess I got it the wrong way around then, heh. Figured you'd take a couple days to enjoy the PDC, as well as the night life, before you started working away at the videos!

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

javamaker wrote:
    ones that aren't boring like Google maps. the lighting in "source code control" is hideious, don't you read up on camera techniques or something?

What's boring to you is fascinating to others...

And Scoble intentionally has bad camera technique - it makes things look more real.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

>not bad camera technique, the lighting , cameras..especially consumer ones arent good in darkness, thats why you get noise.. but I think you know that alreadyy

Yes, I do. But I'm not gonna use lights, sorry. Crappy video is one of the hallmarks of what I do. I don't use lights, microphones, makeup, or anything other than a camcorder and a tripod (which I usually handhold).

Why does this matter?

1) I get access. No one else does. Most people don't like lights, makeup, microphones and even if they put it up with it they start acting rather than just have a conversation.
    2) I have enough to worry about. I run the camera as well as do the interviews. Ever tried to do this? It's not as easy as it looks. Even for Bill Gates I was the only one touching the camera. Now you want me to setup lights? Sorry, it's already too much for one guy.
    3) My videos are about the conversation and not about the quality.
    4) I wanna show that anyone can videoblog using a low-cost camcorder and Windows Movie Maker. Even a big company.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

scobleizer wrote:
    4) I wanna show that anyone can videoblog using a low-cost camcorder and Windows Movie Maker. Even a big company.

Over here, a £1,000 camera is hardly considered "low-cost" Wink

Most of the cameras used to ship videos off to "You've Been Framed!" cost about £400 from your local Dixons...which means you can get them for £300 if you know where to look.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

We use both a $300 and a $650 camcorder. The $650 one I usually use and it's a Panasonic 3-chip model.

But, most of the professional video cameras that MS Studios uses are many times the cost of these.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

>we are the audience, the video is bad, sorry to tell you, you shouldn't use a excuse that you want it that way, you can't even see the people.

I didn't do that video.

Unfortunately when you hand camcorders to beginners they need to learn the basics.

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

Channel 9 - with makeup, lighting, microphones etc etc.  That's not Channel 9.  Channel 9 is some guy wandering around Microsoft with a video camera pouncing on developers!!!

It's gotta be like that or it just feels like standard marketing nonsense, the developers don't seem like developers they seem like actors pushing some company line.

Yes there's been a lot of videos, I'm still fighting my way through them, the Media Center one with Ian in was good stuff!!!

• User profile image
    PaintedBlue

I love the Channel 9 videos as-is, although I wish that the audio faded out at the end of the clips. Specifically, I am worried that the buzzing sound might harm my speakers and/or ears.

Other than that, please keep up the great work!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Yes, actually, decent lighting IS too much to ask for. Most of the videos are OK. This one wasn't up to my quality bar, but I ran it anyway.

• User profile image
    Nata1

Scoble, you should get a production crew, record in Hi-def, and have all the videos sent through a telliciny, and lots of post production compositing.

And there should be a makeup artist.

"...Ok Cut!!! Lets pick that up from the top. Common people"

And don't film in peoples offices, build a set, just move the props around a little bit.  It would be like one of those canned reality shows.  How many ways to describe how that would suck.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Scoble, ever thought about making a huge action film about Microsoft?  Forget Halo, this would be a hit! Tongue Out

mVPstar

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.