Coffeehouse Thread

55 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Favorite Classic Game?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

Rules: You get to pick one 'classic' game, any game but it can't be anthing on the Playstation 1, N64 or newer ... Sage Megadrive, SNES and older are acceptable, old PC and Atari games are also acceptable (nothing as new as RedAlert 2).

And just to liven things up you have to post a picture of your game. Smiley

Favorite Classic: Doom 2

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Street Fighter 2

Used to play this all the time on SNES.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Andrei P

Duke Nukem. Then I started building my own levels. Then I started programming.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

hehe, me and my brother stayed up for two straight days and beat this...anyone else remember?

Dragon Warrior Cover
    Red Slime!!! OMFG

Oh, how I miss those days

• User profile image
    JChung2006

King's Quest

Favorite classic game that I still play:  NetHack

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

That's a tough one. So many great games from that era...

Space Quest, Commander Keen, Wing Commander 2 and Sim City are just some of the examples of games that I wasted many of my childhood hours on.

• User profile image
    bsilby

This one is kind of predictable.

The reason I chose this was because it was ground-breaking in 1980. It contained gameplay elements never before seen. And it is still considered one of the most popular games of all time. Even in this day, the gameplay is engaging and really hard.

The game came out in the arcades in 1980. The name of this game is:
    "DEFENDER"

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:

Favorite Classic: Doom 2

That's the original Doom, a screenshot from Level 3 I believe, "Toxin Refinery".

As for my favorite "classic game", I'd have to say either the original Doom (which to me, when first played was much scarier than Doom3)

Either that, or the original Command & Conquer (yeah, death to EA)

I also have a soft-spot for "1997-Era" games, back in the day when games were judged on gameplay value and not graphical brilliance. Games like Urban Assault, Outwars, Streets of SimCity, Quake 2, etc.

• User profile image
    Manip

I never got into the original Sim City, but I did create some very nice (and time consuming) cities in Sim City 2K.

Red Alert 1 is an amazing game, which I owned before I got C&C so I didn't play much C&C even *when* I did get it.

I still play Doom 1, 2 and final doom today... I have the collectors edition with the doom 95 front end that works well on Windows XP.

Duke Nukem 1, 2 and 3D are all very good games with the first two becoming almost addictive. The third has some great one liners and some funny scenes in it...

I never did get into Quake 1 and 2, I guess I just don't enjoy the theme all that much.. However I did play Doom 3 and Unreal Tourny for a bit.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    I never got into the original Sim City, but I did create some very nice (and time consuming) cities in Sim City 2K.

Check out this city I made in 4 hours. Screenshot.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Dunno if it's my favorite, but when I got Populus II for christmas one year, I played it for something like 28 hours solid, only stopping for nature calls Big Smile

Other classic amiga games I loved are:
    Syndicate
    Speedball II  (ice cream, ice cream!)
    Monkey Island
    ..and lots of others that elude me at the minute!

• User profile image
    TimP

I'd have to say the pre-SimCity 3000 line of Will Wright games were probably my favorite. SimCity 2000, SimCopter, Streets of SimCity, and SimTower. I played SimCity 2000 on my PC Computing Power Mac clone. Last week I was able to get OS 8 installed on the Basilisk II 68k emulator and got SimCity 2000 running. I'll take a picture of my flagship city next time I run it.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

UlsterFry wrote:
    Dunno if it's my favorite, but when I got Populus II for christmas one year, I played it for something like 28 hours solid, only stopping for nature calls

Fool!

Die-hard gamers wear diapers!

• User profile image
    pikatung

Chess. The greatest classic game ever.

Check and mate.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Populous, Utopia (Intellivision), Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Select-Start, Double Dragon (though frustrating), Sonic, Final Fantasy I, etc.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Doom? That's a bit new fangled isn't it? Give me a good old game of Jet Set Willy any day.Big Smile

• User profile image
    Karim

pikatung wrote:
    Chess. The greatest classic game ever.

Check and mate.

Yeah!  Chess rocks!  My favorite part is when get your opponent in Check, and then he does something stupid, and you hear this voice that says, "FINISH HIM!" and you reach across the chessboard and rip your opponent's skeleton RIGHT OUT OF THEIR BODIES so that nothing is left of them but a bloated sack of protoplasm.

I think Fischer first did that to Spassky back in '71.

• User profile image
    reedracer

Marble Madness on my Amiga 1000.  I can still hear the psychotic violins when my 'other' self takes control.

I liked defender, too, but I only played the arcade version.  Must have dumped $1000 on that game.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.