Coffeehouse Thread

55 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Favorite Classic Game?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    UlsterFry

W3bbo wrote:
    UlsterFry wrote:Dunno if it's my favorite, but when I got Populus II for christmas one year, I played it for something like 28 hours solid, only stopping for nature calls

Fool!

Die-hard gamers wear diapers!

Diapers are for amateurs, commodes are 1337 Tongue Out

talking of which.. remember Elite.. another true classic!

• User profile image
    Dr. Shim

Road Rash 2. I waited eons before I could play it because the installer would give me an error on my 486.

Then I discovered a workaround, and the game worked fine. Big Smile

But I am forgetting Super Mario World. That pwn3d.

• User profile image
    j0217995

Oregon Trail was the first computer game I really played.  I remember in 5th Grade the elementary school got a new computer lab.  Oregon Trail rocks!!!

Also Commander Keen the orginal was great.  Played that all the time.  In Middle school, our "Keyboarding" class was boring and I remember passing disks around w/ that on it and we would play instead of doing our "Keyboarding" assignments.

Note the quotes around keyboarding, the text book we used was an actual typing book.  "Computer Applications" had us create things in that great program Microsoft Works.

• User profile image
    BenZila

All older lucasarts games.

• User profile image
    Maurits

bsilby beat me to Defender. Smiley

Runner-up: Zork

Mmm... System 7...

Oh, and Civilization II as well (screenshot)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

BenZila wrote:
    All older lucasarts games.

Like Outlaws and Mysteries of the Sith?

• User profile image
    Sampy

Anyone ever play the networked version of Oregon Trail? I did at my school (7th grade I think so that was like 93-94). Each computer was a wagon in a caravan that was moving across the west. One team was the leader and they decided the big things: when to stop at towns, when to hunt, etc. Each other player could make requests that would be visible to all other players in the chat log.

We had 3 people to a computer and my team's captain was named BJ. We really liked to hunt so we spammed the chatlog with:

BJ would like to hunt.
    BJ would like to hunt.
    BJ would like to hunt.

until we got kicked out of the caravan. After we were out, we made it to Oregon waaaay before the caravan did and had tons of money and food thanks to all the hunting we did.

Cool games of the past:
    Doom
    Wolfenstien 3D (I used to play with joystick Smiley and I did the first level with just a knife to conserve ammo)
    Wing Commander
    Day of the Tenticle
    Final Fantasy 1 and 4 (American 2)
    Street Fighter 2 (Chun-li all the way!)

• User profile image
    tomault

A "classic" game is any game you remember fondly from those days when not having a job and living in your mom's house made you a normal human being rather than a pathetic loser. If your idea of a "classic" is Doom, Ocarina of Time, or anything with a real-time perspective view and more than a handful of 3-D polygons, you are just too d*mn young, and I hate you. Or rather, I will start hating you, as soon as they finish moving me out to the Old Programmer's home.

And for the record, my favorite classic games include "Ultima IV" and "Legacy of the Ancients"

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Sampy wrote:
    Wing Commander

Yay, another fan. Smiley

Which one do you like best? I like 2 and 4 most myself. I think I cried when Spirit rammed the space station after she learned her brother was dead. "Tengoku de omachishite imasu"... If sprites could win Oscars, that'd be the one for me. Smiley

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Sampy wrote:
    Anyone ever play the networked version of Oregon Trail? I did at my school (7th grade I think so that was like 93-94). Each computer was a wagon in a caravan that was moving across the west. One team was the leader and they decided the big things: when to stop at towns, when to hunt, etc. Each other player could make requests that would be visible to all other players in the chat log.

Wow.  I remember the original Oregon Trail, but I didn't think they took it that far.   I remember a networked version of Stellar 7, though, back in the early 90's.

I suppose you really couldn't have a networked version of Sabotage, though.

• User profile image
    FredCole

tomault wrote:
    If your idea of a "classic" is Doom, Ocarina of Time, or anything with a real-time perspective view and more than a handful of 3-D polygons, you are just too d*mn young, and I hate you. Or rather, I will start hating you, as soon as they finish moving me out to the Old Programmer's home.

Hear hear!!

To Mauritis:
    Didn't think Zork would ever get mentioned. But I played it on a Tandy 1000 (6 MHz, 2-5 /14 floppies, no HD). Just the thing to wyle away the time while riding the stagecoach to work.

I also must admit to still having a thing for Age Of Empires II, tho it seems to be finally fading. Mostly though, I turn to games when I need a break, so the mindless the better. These days I'm more likely to turn to card games. One of my enduring favs is Gin or Rummy500 by some folk called Meggie-Soft.

• User profile image
    jlowgren

reedracer wrote:

Marble Madness on my Amiga 1000.  I can still hear the psychotic violins when my 'other' self takes control.

I liked defender, too, but I only played the arcade version.  Must have dumped $1000 on that game.

Quoted for truth.

One of my all time favorites for the Amiga was IK+. Gotta love the sound and music in that game.

• User profile image
    Oberon

Bringing up Zork made me think of a couple text based games I used to play: Empire and Moria. Empire was a war game and Moria was a hack & slash dungeon exploring game.  I couldn't find any screenshots on the Internet so I ended up downloading them and making my own.

Empire

Moria

These games were addictive even though they didn't have any graphics. I blew way too many hours playing them when I should have been studying.

• User profile image
    leighsword

Zuma
    Explore the hidden temples and unlock the secret of Zuma! You control the stone frog idol of the ancient Zuma. Fire balls to make sets of three, but be quick, or you're history. This exciting action puzzler features Adventure and Gauntlet modes, 3d accelerated graphics, and over 20 temples to explore. Discover it now and let this arcade puzzler rock your world!

http://www.weaselcircus.com/games/detailed/294.shtml#

• User profile image
    leighsword

download the zuma

• User profile image
    Wells

Zelda for the snes:

Love it.
  • User profile image
    armbrat

Police Quest from... Sierra was my #1.  I remember being around 10 years old and asking what a 'hooker' was, because I ran into one in the game Tongue Out

And this game in Basic on my dad's first 8086 called 'Donkey'.  All that was involved was steering a car and not hitting the donkeys on the road.

• User profile image
    theogray_com

Frak!

Has to be Frak! from Aardvark Software. I never managed to get past level 3, but I kept trying over and over and over again... still trying on BeebEm to this day! (but maybe not quite so hard anymore...)

PS Anyone got any idea where to get a copy of the background music from?!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.