Coffeehouse Thread

48 posts

Windows Vista BETA 2 [Build 5219] Screenshots

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Andre Da Costa
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

Unlikely that this is beta 2 already, so close after beta 1 and months before we were supposed to get beta 2.

And before anyone says it, it has been quite common in previous Windows betas for interim builds to claim to be the next milestone even when they're not.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I'm just happy the sidebar's back. It's starting to look like MS has found the look they want, great thing they've moved away from the nauseating Fisher Price color scheme of Windows XP. Wink /Dave

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

Sven Groot wrote:

Unlikely that this is beta 2 already, so close after beta 1 and months before we were supposed to get beta 2.

And before anyone says it, it has been quite common in previous Windows betas for interim builds to claim to be the next milestone even when they're not.

Actually, I should make a correction, they "pre-release beta 2" screenshots. Its still officially the beta 2 milestone that technical testers will receive.

• User profile image
    Manip

So Microsoft have spend the last four years working on Vista with up to a thousand man hours if not more and they have added transparent windows and an ugly version of explorer?

Just for your information (Microsoft, Gnome et al) I am NOT impressed by transparent or translucent windows or controls... In fact in my opinion they are very counter-intuitive and there are far bigger problems facing the users than "Why can't I make Internet Explorer translucent with my background?".... duh!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

>So Microsoft have spend the last four years working on Vista with up to a thousand man hours if not more and they have added transparent windows and an ugly version of explorer?

That's not all. We rewrote the audio stack. The networking stack. The presentation stack. And a few other things.

Come back Tuesday and let's talk.

By the way, I LOVE the new UI. I can't stand XP's UI anymore after using Windows Vista for a while.

• User profile image
    Manip

Yes, but the audio stack, network stack and the new presentation layer have very little real impact on the end user. I mean on a normal workstation the networking stack is NOT something that limits by abilities.

I doubt you will be able to impress me enough at this point. Not to mention all the bad stuff I know about Vista already (DRM, 'Secure Computing', New Activation Service et al).

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

scobleizer wrote:
    >
    By the way, I LOVE the new UI. I can't stand XP's UI anymore after using Windows Vista for a while.

Well, I still have to use XP everyday, so I just have stand it. Wink

You talk about the new UI, it seems like what we are seeing now in the PDC pre-release beta 2 is actually it, "the final ui", nothing else except for the added sidebar and transparent taskbar.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Manip wrote:
    I doubt you will be able to impress me enough at this point. Not to mention all the bad stuff I know about Vista already (DRM, 'Secure Computing', New Activation Service et al).
    Well then what exactly would it take to impress you at this point in the game? There's been ample opportunity to give feedback on what you would like to see...

Edit: BTW, this task bar screenshot is a welcome addition! Good job! I absolutely love the new UI!

• User profile image
    priapo

scobleizer wrote:
    Come back Tuesday and let's talk.

Mmm, are you going to release beta 2 on tuesday? Tongue Out I bet you aren't Smiley

Thre seems to be thousands who never standed Xp's ui, why don't we make a MUG of 'XP ui haters'? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

Those screenshots can't represent the unique new features of the UI. Because if they do, Microsoft is sunk. That's just see-through, black XP with a skinned Google sidebar installed. Wink

Honestly, no one, except developers, cares about a re-written stack of anything. I'm waiting to find out about "Larry's feature". And  yes, even when they announce the official name of the feature I'm still going to call it "Larry's feature". Wink

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

Paul Thurrott posted an article with a table showing a list of whats in each edition of Windows Vista, Ultimate Edition has everything including the kitchen sink, it even has more than Enterprise Edition.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

• User profile image
    Manip

Tyler Brown wrote:
    Well then what exactly would it take to impress you at this point in the game? There's been ample opportunity to give feedback on what you would like to see...

I have been given NO opportunity to give feedback.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

So with the addition of a sidebar, I guess that means we'll have another set of "typical" browser widths to target.  OR, will it mean that a 1024 resolution uses 224 pixels for the sidebar, so we're back to 800?

Yeah. Yeah.  Flexible designs are good, but I would imagine that even C9 would have some horizontal scroll on a Vista machine at 1024 with a sidebar.

• User profile image
    Andrei P

Larsenal wrote:
    So with the addition of a sidebar, I guess that means we'll have another set of "typical" browser widths to target.  OR, will it mean that a 1024 resolution uses 224 pixels for the sidebar, so we're back to 800?

Yeah. Yeah.  Flexible designs are good, but I would imagine that even C9 would have some horizontal scroll on a Vista machine at 1024 with a sidebar.

I believe that one who will have the necessary hardware to run Windows Vista at the end of 2006, will also have a decent 17" or 19" LCD with a 1280x1024 resolution.

• User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

I hope the sidebar has a hover over feature which when selected hovers over a maximized window without the need to resize.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Manip wrote:
    I have been given NO opportunity to give feedback.
    Technically we've all been given the opportunity to give feedback. These forums are monitored by Microsoft, and it has been stated numerous times that the forums are being read by many people at Microsoft. Posting your point of view here would have been an opportunity to provide your feedback. Just like many of us have done.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Andre Da Costa wrote:

I feel obliged to point out that it's not the beta2 UI, but a preliminary snapshot.

There are MANY teams (including mine) who didn't get their code into that build (we went in about a week after the 5219 snapshot).

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.