Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

'Express' Edition installer

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

These express edition installers (VB.net express beta etc) are not very well designed in my opinion. They ask you where you would like to install the application to and then goes about downloading and storing the temporary data in your Windows/Profile partition. Wouldn't it be logical to download the data to the install location and then extract the data? I mean just some common sense really.

Also are these 'Express' editions going (after the beta) to be cheap or free?

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

That makes sense though.. listen why...

Sandboxing.., which you would not want your users adding data to your Programs directory! The whole point of the profile/user data section is for data that is brought down/used/owned by the user...

Just my 3 cents..

Jake

• User profile image
    jonathanh

According to the FAQ at
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/faq/
    "We have not announced pricing and licensing and will not do so until next calendar year. For the time being, we can tell you that the Express Editions will be low-cost and will continue to be easy to acquire."

• User profile image
    travis

Anyone else having problems using the installer(s)?  I've tried both vcssetup.exe and vwdsetup.exe - both crashed on the screen where it tried to d/l the stuff (never gets past 0K of the .Net 2.0 beta).  Should I post more crash details?

• User profile image
    travis

travis wrote:
    Anyone else having problems using the installer(s)?  I've tried both vcssetup.exe and vwdsetup.exe - both crashed on the screen where it tried to d/l the stuff (never gets past 0K of the .Net 2.0 beta).  Should I post more crash details?

I think I may have found the problem:
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/readme/
    msdn wrote:
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
    Issue: Download will fail on a computer that does not have BITS (Background Intelligent Service) installed. To to verify that BITS is installed on your computer, open Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

Workaround: Install and enable the BITS service. You can download and install BITS from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c6ef6c8-2abf-43c7-ab51-e0c53303086d&DisplayLang=en"> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c6ef6c8-2abf-43c7-ab51- e0c53303086d&DisplayLang=en.

I had the BITS service disabled.  Really though, this shouldn't crash the installer.  It should test to make sure BITS is running before it tries to use it.

• User profile image
    Rafa®

I had this problem, I saw this workaround and even this way it doesn't work...
    Does it have something with Windows language? Or proxy?

Plz reply...  

• User profile image
    eddwo

I tried to install the C# Express and I selected MSDN and SQL Server to be included. It downloaded the whole lot, about 270mb, and then installed the .Net Runtime 2.0 before asking for a reboot. However when I restarted it had installed .Net 2.0 but did not continue with the setup.

I restarted setup and this time asked for just C# and it installed that part ok. Just seems a waste of time to have downloaded the whole  lot.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Good places for feedback:
     - post a comment to Daniel's blog
     - submit a bug report to the feedback center

Ohhh, and now apparently we've got Channel9 Express forums too Smiley

• User profile image
    Dan

Just a quick update on the Express installation issues some people have been having. While I posted this on my blog, I'll repeat here: Thank you to everyone for sending in the Watson setup issues and adding bugs to Ladybug. The setup team is working *hard* on releasing an updated Express installer that should resolve the installation issues. The new installer could be up as early as tomorrow night, I'll blog about and update this page once it's up, and thanks again for sending in the feedback!!

• User profile image
    Dan Vallejo [Microsoft]

Travis,

I'm investigating the download failures. Can you send me the BITS.log and BITS.bak files from %windir%\system32?

thanks.

danval(at)microsoft.com

• User profile image
    jamie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.