Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Japan: Only 6% Next Gen Consumers Want Xbox 360

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

According to this article. Any Japanese C9 member here? Could you give input on the XB360's lack of interest?

• User profile image
    Nate​Furtwangler

That number doesn't surprise me since Xbox never really took off in Japan like it did in America so they are probably more excited about Playstation 3 as of right now.

Microsoft will have a chance to show the Japanese what the Xbox360's all about this week at the Tokyo Game Show (Japanese E3) so maybe that will change things a little bit.  The PS3 sounds great on paper but I doubt it will be playable at TGS, while the X360 will be for sure.  Playing is a lot more exciting than speculating.

I, too, would be interested in hearing from any Japanese C9'ers about how they percieve the Xbox and Xbox360 (or Microsoft in general) especially compared to the PS3.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Don't count out the Nintendo Revolution, too, though I think you may be right about the PS/3 being the bigger draw in Japan.

• User profile image
    iStation

Unfortunately, XBox is minority in Japan.
    The letter X does not have a good connotation in Japan.
    MS needs some strong marketing strategies.
    Cool

• User profile image
    Oberon

iStation:

Could you explain what you mean when you say that X does not have good connations in Japan? Is it related to the use of the letter X in reference to p0rn? That is the case in English but it doesn't stop the letter X from having good connotations in other contexts.

*Edited to bypass an overzealous language filter*

• User profile image
    sbc

Perhaps they should have called it an Obox then? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Could be worse...in Afghanistan (I was stationed there) they go by red rock white rock.

Red Rock = Landmine
    White Rock= Safe to pass.

It's all good except when your path runs out of red and white rocks.

• User profile image
    iStation

Oberon wrote:
    iStation:

Could you explain what you mean when you say that X does not have good connations in Japan? Is it related to the use of the letter X in reference to p0rn? That is the case in English but it doesn't stop the letter X from having good connotations in other contexts.

*Edited to bypass an overzealous language filter*

O = Good/Right
    X = NG/Wrong
    Tongue Out
    School teachers use these marks for test papers!

• User profile image
    Minh

iStation wrote:

O = Good/Right
    X = NG/Wrong

School teachers use these marks for test papers!
    Kinda like marketing the Chevy Nova in Spanish countries. "No va" translates to "it doesn't go". Doh!

But I suspect the approval ratings for the XB360 will improve once it launches in Nov. when people can actually SEE what it's capable of.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.