Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Ballmer: I've never thrown a chair in my life

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • irascian

Full story here

• maxharris

"Steve ballmer is obviously lying."

Why are you bashing Microsoft here? (Bashing the CEO is effectively the same as speaking out against the company.)

If you want to post trash like this, please pick another place to do it.

• Manip

The reporters couldn't ask him hard hitting questions because they were concerned for their safety (there was a chair in the room!). :O

• Nata1

So Manip, when are you going to create some software, or are you really all talk?  (yeah you ARE all talk, and a big talker at that)

• maxharris

"I (stare) DID NOT HAVE (look away) sexual relations with that woman."

But Mr. Ballmer, we asked you whether you threw a chair into a desk in front of Lucovsky or not?

I wish you would not post garbage like this. You probably relish the idea that Microsoft is hosting a forum that you can troll, but I think they should just kick you off and be done with it.

• jmacdonagh

maxharris wrote:

But Mr. Ballmer, we asked you whether you threw a chair into a desk in front of Lucovsky or not?

I wish you would not post garbage like this. You probably relish the idea that Microsoft is hosting a forum that you can troll, but I think they should just kick you off and be done with it.

Calm down. It was a joke.

• JChung2006

Regardless of whether or not it was true, the story pretty much did the damage it was going to do.  Let it go.

• Sabot

Hmmm ... and chair throwing is news?

I hope that Steve Ballmer does throw chairs, he's a passionate kind of guy it seems to me ... why not, his chair, his office.

... better than a cat or an ex-employee.

• Jaz

if Steve ballmer ever moves offices, does he judge the office on how much room there is for throwing a chair.

Developers!Developers!Developers!  Theres not enough room to throw a chair in here

• Cairo

Sabot wrote:
    Hmmm ... and chair throwing is news?

I hope that Steve Ballmer does throw chairs, he's a passionate kind of guy it seems to me ... why not, his chair, his office.

... better than a cat or an ex-employee.

If I threw a chair, I would be "counseled".

• Sven Groot

Considering it's the US, if Ballmer had thrown that chair, he would probably have been sued and would've had to pay the family of the chair $200,000,000 in damages.

• Jeremy W

People keep forgetting that the whole story is unconfirmed, is only related by one incredibly disgruntled ex employee and is a little bit out there in the first place (even for someone like Ballmer).

It could have happened, but to believe that Ballmer is somehow LESS trustworthy in this case than the ex-employee is silly. Nobody's ever reported violent tendencies about him in the past.

Now, if someone said Steve Jobs had thrown a chair...

• Karim

You know I've played it out in my head a few times and I just can't seem to make it seem natural: throwing a chair?

A coffee cup -- ok, believable.

Something small, like a book, a phone -- less believable, but plausible.

A chair?

How do you even throw a chair?  Across a room, hitting a wall?

You have to lift the chair over your head to do that -- at the very least, above your CG if you are throwing underhanded.  And lifting that kind of weight over your head, it's not a REFLEX.  It's not something one would do in the heat of the moment.  Chair-throwing is not a crime of passion, it's premeditated.

LAWYER: And then what happened?

LUCOVSKY: A-and then, he like, freaks out and picks up a credenza, and then he throws it across the room.  And then, he punched his way through the wall, and walked into the parking lot, and he picked up a blue car -- I'm not sure but I think it was a late model Toyota Prius -- and he THREW the car across the parking lot, I couldn't quite see where, there was so much dust from where he punched through the office wall.  Then he smashes his way back into his office, and I notice he looks all kind of green, like bright green, and he doesn't have any clothes on, except for some blue stretch pants, and he screams, "Hulk SMASH Google!  Hulk SMASH Eric Schmidt!  Hulk think Eric Schmidt is --"

LAWYER: (interrupting) No more questions, Your Honor.

• amotif

Beer28 wrote:

What... do you mean... by "chair?"

• Jeremy W

Is it possible maybe he kicked a chair into a desk? That sounds far more plausible to me. Or, maybe pushed it into the desk? Again, "over the head throwing" just doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd do whilst pacing around pissed off.

Kicking, pushing, shoving a chair does.

• Michael Griffiths

Jeremy W. wrote:

Is it possible maybe he kicked a chair into a desk? That sounds far more plausible to me. Or, maybe pushed it into the desk? Again, "over the head throwing" just doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd do whilst pacing around pissed off.

Kicking, pushing, shoving a chair does.

If he (1) stood up very rapidly or (2) kicked/pushed the chair with enough force to propel if off the ground, I suppose that could be called "throwing".

I still prefer the image of Ballmer lifting the chair over his head and throwing it out the window, though. Smiley

• Cairo

I imagine he could have pushed/flung/rammed a rolling chair really hard into something. If Ballmer grabbed the back of a wheeled desk chair and "flung" it, that could be described as "throwing" the chair, even if the wheels never left the ground.

• Karim

Cairo wrote:
    I imagine he could have pushed/flung/rammed a rolling chair really hard into something. If Ballmer grabbed the back of a wheeled desk chair and "flung" it, that could be described as "throwing" the chair, even if the wheels never left the ground.

The idea of pushing/shoving a chair certainly seems a LOT more plausible.

To "throw" though... that implies that, at some point, the wheels were off the ground.  It seems like (unless you're a lawyer, and unless you work for Google?) that "throwing" implies the chair was 100% airborne ("wheels up," one might say) for at least part of its journey across the room. 

Underhanded?  Overhanded?  Neither one makes much sense.  But I guess that's the great thing about a deposition -- you can say all kinds of crap and there's no cross-examiner there to call you on it.

so hope that this goes to trial.  <rubs palms in glee>

But Google will probably just wait until the last minute (December?) and then settle out of court with Microsoft.  They'll probably try to time it so that the news comes out on a Friday afternoon or holiday so it doesn't get noticed... sigh....

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.