Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is attending a conference worth less today?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shaded

Why go to PDC?  If you can see all the goodies from home...

Now downloading..... zzz

Scoble when are you guys going to torrent these bad boys?

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Conferences are (or it's better to approach them as) networking opportunities; places to meet people who are creating and using these technologies.

The idea of the PDC is for industry people to come and meet Microsoft employees, and to interact a bit. It's also a preview of upcoming technologies, so developers know about them and can plan for them.

Simply going to a conference and watching the presentations is (fairly) useless. It's the people you get to talk to that's really interesting.

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

I disagree that watching presentations are useless.  Its super useful to go to the presentation and then go talk to the person who gave it orhead up to the track lounges and discuss it with people on the team.  Its like an instant info digestion and feedback cycle, much easier for grokking.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

AdamKinney wrote:
    I disagree that watching presentations are useless. 

Except when us here at home are blocked for "Proprietary reasons"

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    AdamKinney wrote:I disagree that watching presentations are useless. 

You mean AOL blocks PDC streams?

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

AdamKinney wrote:
    I disagree that watching presentations are useless.  Its super useful to go to the presentation and then go talk to the person who gave it or head up to the track lounges and discuss it with people on the team.  Its like an instant info digestion and feedback cycle, much easier for grokking.

So how much would it cost me to bounce two hours worth of new language ideas off of Anders Hejlsberg? I'm not at the PDC, though. 

Where's his blog, eh?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

W3bbo wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote:
    AdamKinney wrote: I disagree that watching presentations are useless. 

You mean AOL blocks PDC streams?

No, the "Due to proprietary reasons we must stop audio and video" portion of Gates keynote.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Cybermagellan wrote:

No, the "Due to proprietary reasons we must stop audio and video" portion of Gates keynote.

This was during a spoof video of Bill and Napoleon Dynamite during the keynote.  Unfortunately, we aren't always granted rights to distribute videos that we create on the Internet.

Sorry you missed the but this was outside of our control

Thanks.
    -Jeff

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jeffsand wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote:

This was during a spoof video of Bill and Napoleon Dynamite during the keynote.  Unfortunately, we aren't always granted rights to distribute videos that we create on the Internet.

Sorry you missed the but this was outside of our control

Thanks.
    -Jeff

I'm not trying to argue the point...but instead you show hundreds if not thousands of developers the video? Also the product preview I think during Jims programming part was blocked out....that's lame.

• User profile image
    irascian

Cybermagellan wrote:

I'm not trying to argue the point...but instead you show hundreds if not thousands of developers the video? Also the product preview I think during Jims programming part was blocked out....that's lame.

As Jonathan has pointed out on a separate thread the terms of the engagement of the actor are that his services are used at a business conference. Getting clearance for worldwide distribution would be far more difficult and expensive.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.