Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

The copy act. Not isnt new anymore

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    smartguy

Hi guys.
    First i wanted to say. I got a mac. lol. But what i have noties 2years ago. When Msoft copyed Mac's gui. Then windows longhorn cameout with the dashboard. Now mac come out with this so called "dashboard" Dont mind the nickname. But noties that some of the things are the same. And I am a proud own of windows os and Mac iBook. I just dont see the point of  these two companys even going on and making new os. Or if they will. Make new things.

Mac 10.4

Stickies

Add, read stickies.

World Clock

Check world time.

iTunes Controller

Control iTunes simply.

Longhorn

Notes

Add, read notes.

Clock

Check time.

Media Controller

Control Media player.

• User profile image
    JParrish

They should go on.. Apple is touting that they are delivering functionality that MS has suggested would be in Longhorn, and they are saying it will be there well before Longhorn is realeased.

There are a couple areas for me to touch on when it comes to a Microsoft vs. Apple discussion, so please hear me though.

1. Apple has been ahead of MS in the GUI, usability aspects of the OS for many, many years.  XP was a non-copy/non-response to Apple even though it was meant to counter the Aqua look and feel.

part of the reason Apple has been ahead of the game is the fact that they have standardized on a window manager that utilizing PDF as a core rendering language. Until recently that has been unique, including Linux.

Tiger is starting to take advantage of the hardware available out there for the window manager, I'm not about to give either company credit, as they should have been more closely following this path all along.

Part of Longhorn is meant to create a vector based window manager, where new applications will be able to take advantage of never before seen windows applications graphics. They are achieveing that part of the OS, where other competetive OS's are concerned is in MS ability to deliver developer technology to support the new OS additions.

I have looked at objective C, because a very good friend who swtiched to Mac (was always a Linux guy) had decided that he would commit to that language, I want to see more comparisons between obj C and Java, C#.

• User profile image
    Keskos

The funny thing is the nick the guy chose "smartguy". Have you ever seen a smart mac zealot? It is funny to see these here.

I am really wondering who is going to commit to a dead technology and a doomed OS. Just look at what happens to those who do. http://www.konfabulator.com/

The only thing I have seen in the mac community is that there are simply too many losers with too many free time and they are simply obssesed with Microsoft bashing. Many of them pose as Linux users on the net, I think Manip is one of them here.

Apple is simply excellent in selling crappy software to millions of people by making it visually attractive.

• User profile image
    object88

Keskos wrote:
    Apple is simply excellent in selling crappy software to millions of people by making it visually attractive.

From what I've seen, Apple is simply excellent at selling great hardware to thousands of artistically-inclined people who do great audio and visual work.  Those people are generally too caught up in creating (be it for work or pleasure) to care about bashing other people's tools.

That's always going to be a niche market.  Apple isn't going to take over the world, but that doesn't mean the OS is "doomed" and the hardware is "dead" either.  Especially since the Mac uses the same graphics cards, memory, storage devices, and printers as Windows and Linux boxes (and I'm sure much more).

• User profile image
    manickernel

It is not "crappy" software...but it is not original either. It is BSD.

The more things change, the more they just keep repeating themselves.

• User profile image
    smartguy

I am starting to agree with Keskos. Btw to the person that comment to me saying "funny you picky your name smartguy" Funny your head is so small to even think of anything.

object88 wrote:
    Keskos wrote:Apple is simply excellent in selling crappy software to millions of people by making it visually attractive.

From what I've seen, Apple is simply excellent at selling great hardware to thousands of artistically-inclined people who do great audio and visual work.  Those people are generally too caught up in creating (be it for work or pleasure) to care about bashing other people's tools.

That's always going to be a niche market.  Apple isn't going to take over the world, but that doesn't mean the OS is "doomed" and the hardware is "dead" either.  Especially since the Mac uses the same graphics cards, memory, storage devices, and printers as Windows and Linux boxes (and I'm sure much more).

• User profile image
    Manip

Keskos wrote:
    that there are simply too many losers with too many free time and they are simply obssesed with Microsoft bashing. Many of them pose as Linux users on the net, I think Manip is one of them here.

But I do use Linux, maybe not on the desktop but I do operate a Linux server and use SSH/Shell access constantly. I have also been a Linux user for around two years.

I am not obsessed with Microsoft bashing, I am even critical of Linux especially on the desktop and have said so many times.

Examples:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=10147#10147

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2322#2322

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=11571#11571

This shows that I don't run into my opinions blindly and I am very aware of Linux's short-comings.

• User profile image
    infrared

Keskos, you seem to be so paranoid about Microsoft-bashing that you're starting to see it where it doesn't exist.  Eg., this thread: smartguy says that he is not seeing much innovation in BOTH companies.  How is this MS-bashing???

Personally I agree.  On a superficial level there doesn't seem to be much innovation in these alpha releases IMO.  I'm not a programmer so I don't know what changes are being made on the programming front however.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.