Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

resx vs. common xml

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Pulse

Hi there

I'm planning to realize a multilanguage application with 1 to n supported languages. The strings should be editable with a simpley editor like Notepad, and they should be saved in a hierarchical structure... so i think the best way is to use xml-files...

Now my question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages (disadvantages ar more interesting Wink ) of using resx-files instead of common xml-files.

• User profile image
    object88

These are not well researched opinions, so make sure to check out the facts for yourself.

It looks like you're going to get a .resx file with your .NET project, so you "might as well" use it to store all your info.  .resx files essentially are XML.  If you go with .resx, you already have an API for handling the resources, including images, non-string data types, and whatnot.  If you do your own XML, you'd have to essentially do all that work over again.  OTOH, if you want to jump platforms or use the same string-file in another app, XML might be more immediately reusable.

Just a few thoughts.

• User profile image
    Pulse

object88 wrote:

Just a few thoughts.

Ok thank you!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.