Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Speak up! Microsoft is listening.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    tLat

I month or so ago I posted my thoughts about Visual Studio. Basically, the idea was that the suite of tools rocked, but was priced wat too high for the hobbyist/entry level programmer to pay on their own.

Well, Microsoft stepped up big time and released express versions of VS 2005 (albeit betas right now) components this week. I've been testing them for a day now and all I can say is Kudos! Not that my post had anything to do with the release of these tools (I would guess at least 6 months worth of work went into setting up the express packages), but I sure feel like MS is listening to customers (developers in this particular case) and listening with intent to reply in good favor.

Thanks again Redmondians!

tLat

• User profile image
    Manip

Yeah. I'm in love with the new IDE. The two biggest things for me are first you can turn off the 'There were errors, continue?' dialog and second it doesn't force you to save a new project.

It is also less resource intensive and cleaner (simplier).

• User profile image
    Sampy

tLat wrote:
    I month or so ago I posted my thoughts about Visual Studio. Basically, the idea was that the suite of tools rocked, but was priced wat too high for the hobbyist/entry level programmer to pay on their own.

Well, Microsoft stepped up big time and released express versions of VS 2005 (albeit betas right now) components this week. I've been testing them for a day now and all I can say is Kudos! Not that my post had anything to do with the release of these tools (I would guess at least 6 months worth of work went into setting up the express packages), but I sure feel like MS is listening to customers (developers in this particular case) and listening with intent to reply in good favor.

Thanks again Redmondians!

tLat

It was killing me not to talk about Express while reading that (and if you go back and read the thread now, I think Charles was feeling the same way I was Smiley)

For the record, there was one official Express "leak" that I saw a few weeks before TechEd:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jaybaz_ms/archive/2004/06/04/148968.aspx

Note the title bar of the screenshot...

• User profile image
    chuawenching

Express was indeed a great product. Was amazed with the user friendliness.

Feel like neglecting the old vs.net 2003.

WOw!

• User profile image
    jaxSharif

I installed the full vs2005 enterprise beta 1 last night, and it blows me away. East to use, how-to articles IN THE IDE, easy database integration, no inetsrv footprint at all for web dev, etc. etc. etc.

And code snippets from a context menu? Good grief. I told my boss about this and she said "Now I don't have to hire programmers anymore, just cut&paste".

And the class builder competes easily with other tools (Rational XDE, anyone?).

This will be the tool that brings in the old VB6ers. Just watch.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.