Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Product Lifecycle

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So me and a coworker came up with a great application that I want to write. It has huge commercial appeal maybe not so much personal appeal. It would probably take 50% of the effort in this one position and completely eliminate it...however one drawback.

I don't know really how to write it (Well I do just not line per line code). And I want to ask for suggestions/thoughts on it...however with the world being what it is, I can see someone else taking the idea...coding it and claiming it as theirs. So let me ask all the great developers in here...

At what point in a products lifecycle do you determine "This is good enough I might want to protect it"? Also maybe another question of "How do I ask for help on a project without giving enough away to do what I want to do on my application...so no one can steal it, but that I can get the help I need?". Maybe also how do you protect an "idea" if the actual product doesn't exist yet?

Something offensive to someone: I don't wanna hear any "Linux"..."release it open source" junk....while it is a nice idea...I've got bills and unless your gonna pay them...well I can't give stuff away for free now can I?

• User profile image
    Manip

You can't protect an idea, that is a fundermental concept of the American and British legal system.

• User profile image
    leighsword

Manip wrote:
    You can't protect an idea, that is a fundermental concept of the American and British legal system.

i wonder how our brains encrypt our ideas, whatever , my ideas is safe until i got enough abilities to implement it. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Minh

Manip wrote:

Of course you can protect an idea. To be precise, it has to be a novel idea for a method or mechanism that's not obvious to someone else in the industry.

• User profile image
    Manip

Minh wrote:
    Of course you can protect an idea.

No you can't... Otherwise we would have one producer of cars, one producer of computers, one producer of word processing software, one producer of paper... etc etc etc

You CAN protect a method or manufacturing process but that really isn't the same thing, a concept/idea might be achievable using alternate methods..  

• User profile image
    JChung2006

It becomes worth protecting when it is more than just a idea.

• User profile image
    Minh

Manip wrote:
    Minh wrote:Of course you can protect an idea.

No you can't...

You didn't really read what I wrote, did you?

Manip wrote:

Otherwise we would have one producer of cars, one producer of computers, one producer of word processing software, one producer of paper... etc etc etc
    Those things were all patentable (if you've got enough lawyers involved) -- except paper -- well maybe. But I wonder what would happen if the patent mentality existed back then.

• User profile image
    Manip

Minh wrote:
    Manip wrote:
    Otherwise we would have one producer of cars, one producer of computers, one producer of word processing software, one producer of paper... etc etc etc
    Those things were all patentable (if you've got enough lawyers involved) -- except paper -- well maybe. But I wonder what would happen if the patent mentality existed back then.

You think that it is possible to patent the concept of a car -- a motor vehicle? Name one that *has* been patented?

• User profile image
    leighsword

JChung2006 wrote:

It becomes worth protecting when it is more than just a idea.

i think the world is unfair, a ton of people cann't gains from their idea, for example, Xerox invented GUI(graphic user interace), but MS(windows) gains from it.
    it really stop us to thinking, why we not try to steal others idea, and do a better job(product) on the idea than others did.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

The thing is, Leighsword, Xerox's idea wasn't worth anything until Apple sold their first Macintosh (or Lisa).

• User profile image
    Minh

Manip wrote:

You think that it is possible to patent the concept of a car -- a motor vehicle? Name one that *has* been patented?
    That's the thing. Once the first car wasn't patented, it's prior art & can't be patent. But I don't see why the very first car isn't patentable.

• User profile image
    Manip

Minh wrote:
    Manip wrote:
    That's the thing. Once the first car wasn't patented, it's prior art & can't be patent. But I don't see why the very first car isn't patentable.

I'm not going to argue with your ignorance, you'll just have to look it up yourself.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh wrote:
    But I don't see why the very first car isn't patentable.

Because the idea of a car isn't original.

A car is just a wheeled platform with some kind of motor.

You can, however, patent a particular design of car, especilally if its innovative.

• User profile image
    limalicas

Hi, I'm only a programmer in my spare time - in my 'real' life I'm a producer for a famous British Broadcaster Wink

Part of my job (a big part) is concerned with trying to find ways to protect ownership of concepts. For instance, TV show formats.

It's NOT possible to protect an idea for a quiz show, you can employ an old-fashioned method for proving you came-up with it.

(Do this by posting a detailed synopsis to yourself using a courier, so the date and time of the delivery are on the envelope. Never open the seals on the envelope. Just deposit it in a bank safety deposit box. That way you have a time-stamped irrefutable record of when the idea was developed by you.)

But broadcasters around the world rip-off each other's shows and ideas all the time and it's a pain in the backside for lawyers to have to try to prove that an idea has been stolen. More often than not, it's not worth going to court!

I'm currently working on a software project of my own that I know will tap into a previously-untapped section of the online market, and I'm protecting that by just not telling people too much about it!

Good luck though!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

limalicas wrote:
    Hi, I'm only a programmer in my spare time - in my 'real' life I'm a producer for a famous British Broadcaster Wink

Part of my job (a big part) is concerned with trying to find ways to protect ownership of concepts. For instance, TV show formats.

It's NOT possible to protect an idea for a quiz show, you can employ an old-fashioned method for proving you came-up with it.

(Do this by posting a detailed synopsis to yourself using a courier, so the date and time of the delivery are on the envelope. Never open the seals on the envelope. Just deposit it in a bank safety deposit box. That way you have a time-stamped irrefutable record of when the idea was developed by you.)

But broadcasters around the world rip-off each other's shows and ideas all the time and it's a pain in the backside for lawyers to have to try to prove that an idea has been stolen. More often than not, it's not worth going to court!

I'm currently working on a software project of my own that I know will tap into a previously-untapped section of the online market, and I'm protecting that by just not telling people too much about it!

Good luck though!

...can I blame you for The Weakest Link then? Big Smile

Admittantly, it was great when it started out, what with the proper, high-school head teacher-style humilation, but she toned it down afterwards.

It was kinda funny seeing the contestants break down into tears, but now its no fun :/

• User profile image
    limalicas

W3bbo wrote:
    ...can I blame you for The Weakest Link then?

Tongue Out Sorry, that is one of ours! I accept all blame lol!

• User profile image
    Manip

Dude get Cluedo back on the frigging air! Smiley

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

limalicas wrote:

Do note that this is NOT a foolproof way of proving previous ownership - especially in the US:

http://www.snopes.com/legal/postmark.asp

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.