Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Downloadable video file size blow out

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • PeterHay

WTF is with the size of the downloadable videos these days?

The latest Anders Hejlsberg vid is 37:58 mins long and 147MB in size.  But the Julie Larson vid at 41:47 mins, but is 618MB! 

I know they're coded at different sizes and bit rates, but is the improvement in quality worth it?  It ain't for me coz it takes about 5 hours to suck a 600MB file thru the tiny straw that attaches my PC to the interweb.

Is it possible to have vids at lower and higher quality to choose from for downloading?

See ya,
    P

• Manip

Because a bunch of jackasses said they wanted to write the videos to DVDs or something and Scoble gave in. There needs to be an extra "High Def." button on selected videos, that way those of us with crappy connections can download and watch without lag and those people that want to write it to DVD or watch it on their TIVO can do that also.

PS - I don't *REALLY* think you're all jackasses, just 98% of you. Smiley  

• PeterHay

Damn that Scoble and his weak spine. Wink

I agree, a choice of hi or low def sure would be nice.

• Manip

I said to Scoble that he should request a dedicated movie rendering machine, that way he can be editing on one and rendering on the other.

• Maurits

Manip wrote:
    I said to Scoble that he should request a dedicated movie rendering machine, that way he can be editing on one and rendering on the other.

Crazy idea...

Channel9 screen saver for users to download that donates spare CPU to the rendering effort.  A free render farm for Microsoft, a "sneak peek" feature for the participants.

• The Channel 9 Team

We'll work on this. For the meantime I'm going to go back to 500kbps downloads for the rest of the videos.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.