Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can someone explain video to me?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Hi

Back when I was a wee laddie, I used to think "Quicktime format was their own compression, encoding, headers, and the like" as was WMA/V, DivX, etc.

...but then I noticed that Quicktime lets you "use" MPEG4, H.264, and the like. So now I'm confuzzled.

So what exactly "is" the quicktime format, and how does it compare to WMA/V, DivX etc when they all "support" H.264.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I think of the Quicktime format as merely a "container" that holds video of different compression/quality. Perhaps a standard/framework in itself which codecs made for Quicktime have to adhere to. 

WMV is a format and a technology/codec on its own, handling its own compression. 

DivX is a codec I believe.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Manip

Most codecs are a modification of MPEG (2, or 4) and of AVI in most cases too.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip wrote:
    Most codecs are a modification of MPEG (2, or 4) and of AVI in most cases too.

AVI's not a codec, it too is just a container. Commonly used codecs include Intel Indeo and nowadays more common, DivX.

EDIT: To answer the original question:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime#QuickTime_file_format

• User profile image
    Manip

Sven Groot wrote:
    Manip wrote: Most codecs are a modification of MPEG (2, or 4) and of AVI in most cases too.

AVI's not a codec, it too is just a container.

Right, and in most cases containers are based on a modified AVI format.

DivX is based on MPEG 4 version 2.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote:
    Manip wrote: Most codecs are a modification of MPEG (2, or 4) and of AVI in most cases too.

AVI's not a codec, it too is just a container.

Right, and in most cases containers are based on a modified AVI format.

DivX is based on MPEG 4 version 2.

Yep, DivX is a rewrite of DivX Wink which was a hacked version of the Microsoft MP4 codec. Quicktime videos also tend to use an MP4 based codec.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

What about Xvid and 3vid (spelling?)?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Xvid (from xvid.org)

XviD is an ISO MPEG-4 compliant video codec, so designed to compress/decompress digital video. It's a open source project, which is developed and maintained by a handful of skilled and interested engineers from all over the world.

3ivx (from 3ivx.com)

3ivx is an MPEG-4 toolkit that supports MPEG-4 Video, MPEG-4 Audio and the MP4 File Format.  Around these 3 Technology Cores (Video, Audio and File Format) various front-ends have been built. A front-end is a shell around a core. The core communicates with the user through a front-end. Examples of front-ends include DirectShow Filters, QuickTime Components and Video for Windows codecs.

• User profile image
    SvendTofte

In the past, when QT "was it", for the net (and IMO still is), it had the Sorenson codec, which was QT only, and was pretty sharp about compressing. This was a long time ago though.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

mVPstar wrote:
    I think of the Quicktime format as merely a "container" that holds video of different compression/quality. Perhaps a standard/framework in itself which codecs made for Quicktime have to adhere to. 

WMV is a format and a technology/codec on its own, handling its own compression. 

DivX is a codec I believe.

mVPstar

WMV files are WMV data wrapped in an ASF file format, I believe.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.