Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

itunes 5 crashes machines

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Nata1

first it was my home machine, I upgrade to itunes 5, and right at the end of the install, the machine shuts off.  Flat out off.  I thought it must be me, I have alot of wierd stuff installed, and some Embedded C++ drivers are sketchy.

But at work a guy with a brand new box gets the exact same thing!  Don't they test their software?  Shutting the entire machine completely off - its not the API call "SystemShutdown" but the power to the system goes off

Anyone have Itunes 4? and what on earth could cause the entire PC to just turn off?  SCARY

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

And you're sure it's iTunes causing the system to crash?

• User profile image
    Nata1

yeah - verified on both machines - the ITunes install crashes the machines right before its finished.

could that possibly be something else?

• User profile image
    Manip

Nata1 wrote:
    yeah - verified on both machines

How did you "verify" ?

• User profile image
    Nata1

by installing ITunes 5.0 - right at the end of the install, the machines shut off.  On my home PC, and on this animators new PC too - its probably a dell like mine, hmmmm

wonder if apple knows about this one?

• User profile image
    Cairo

There's a chance it's conflicting with other cd-burning software on your machine.

• User profile image
    Nata1

none Sad

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

Cairo wrote:
    There's a chance it's conflicting with other cd-burning software on your machine.

hmmmm, If it's crashing at the end of the install I'd say it's not a conflict with the CD-burning software.

Might be a bug with the install program. I don't remember which one they use. Looks like they are working on a fix though. Googling for "install program itunes 5 crash" brings back a lot of hits.

I didn't have a problem during my iTunes 5 install and I haven't had any problems with the playlists or library. But I have had some weird crashes related to multimedia. Not sure if they are iTunes related though.

Don't ya wish there was something in the bios that would detect a frozen OS and dump out the memory to HD or flash memory somewhere for you?

• User profile image
    Nata1

great  - so by mid next week, I should have an itunes that doesn't shut my pc off....

now what do I do without ITunes in the meantime!!! Windows media player sucks.

• User profile image
    Cairo

I have an issue with iTunes when running CD Creator at the same time (and using it to burn CDs). I hit the "burn cd" icon accidentally. It hung, and I had to reboot the PC. I figured it was the iTunes drivers vs the CD Creator drivers fighting over the hardware.

Perhaps the iTunes installer tries to install its drivers at the end of its installation, and that part fails because it's conflicting with existing drivers.

Just an idea.

Are you upgrading a previous version of iTunes? You could uninstall it first. Are you running another CD-buring program? Can you disable it beire you install iTunes 5? Do you get anything in your event log? Try running sysinternal's debugout program while you install. You might get some interesting messages.

• User profile image
    Nata1

hey Cairo - thanks!

How do I run that debugger?

this one is scary because it gets right up to the end and then 'no power' just shuts off - on several systems!!!

I found alot on the link above, best to wait till next week!  This is the most serious software bug I've ever seen!!!!

I've seen lost of GPFs, lots of crashes, but shutting your PC off!!!

I don't have any cd/dvd burning software, any ideas what is blowing up?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Did you try iTunes 5.0.1?

• User profile image
    Cairo

It's called DebugView and can be found here:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/DebugView.html

• User profile image
    Nata1

that looks promising except the entire system Shuts OFF!!!!

save all work before installing Itunes 5.0.1!

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I havent had this problem, the only Application that gives me probs is Firefox 1.0.6 on my Tabet, it keeps crashing and sometimes freezes up the system.  I quit using Firefox and went to Maxthon, it works and looks great.  I heard about Maxthon from my sons school librarian , she uses it on the school systems.

• User profile image
    Cairo

You can use DebugView remotely, if you have two windows machines and a network.

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

Apple has release an update to iTunes 5.0 today for both Windows and OS X.

• User profile image
    brussell

I have used iTunes on multiple machines, one with Embedded C++ and a bunch other developer stuff with no problems.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.