Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What Anti-Virus Software do you have?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Spitfire15

    'lo

    A good question to ask you all. What Anti-Virus do you use? The reason being, is that there are different ones out there, and they have different features and other functionalities in them.

    At the moment, I use Norton Internet Security 2005. Perplexed

    Oh, and if anyone still uses Microsoft Anti-Virus, then I would say "Good Luck" with living with a virus in your machine. Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    McAfee Virus Scan (Brought to you by AOL) for Free, and then Windows OneCare.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Norton Anti-Virus (Not* Security Centre).

    How come everyone else got OneCare; I filled out the survey too... Crying

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Myself, I don't have any anti-virus software installed on any of my home boxes.

    I do, however, have Norton Systemworks 2003 and Norton Internet Security 2004 (I got Systemworks when I thought I needed it, and NIS came with my sister's laptop, but it slowed it down too much so I took it off)

    As for firewalls, I'm content with my hardware firewall, works fine.

    If I need to scan a file, I use Kasperly's online virus scanner, saves me installing bloatware just for scanning the odd file.

    I regularly audit my system processes and services, however, so I spot anything going wrong.

  • User profile image
    Spitfire15

    W3bbo wrote:
    Myself, I don't have any anti-virus software installed on any of my home boxes.

    I do, however, have Norton Systemworks 2003 and Norton Internet Security 2004 (I got Systemworks when I thought I needed it, and NIS came with my sister's laptop, but it slowed it down too much so I took it off)

    As for firewalls, I'm content with my hardware firewall, works fine.

    If I need to scan a file, I use Kasperly's online virus scanner, saves me installing bloatware just for scanning the odd file.

    I regularly audit my system processes and services, however, so I spot anything going wrong.


    Wow, you must be very vigilant with your PC's then.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    I could perhaps get away with doing that (I can't remember the last time Norton stopped a virus -- if ever); but I like to be on the safe side.

    I also use TCPView to monitor outgoing connections and watch services / startup etc stuff. Not to mention googling rouge processes.

  • User profile image
    AFO#

    Norton Antivirus, without Internet Security Center.

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    I use Avast!

    http://www.avast.com/

    It runs fine on my PC and, best of all, it's free for home use.

  • User profile image
    Zolk

    Mac OS X

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    none.

  • User profile image
    Wells

    I don't use one, only MS Anti-spyware beta.

    I was running AVG for a long time, but the only *2* hits I ever got were some dodgy javascript files in my temporary internet files.

    I keep a close eye on my processes/services etc, although with a *real* virus, it'll inject its code into other executables, so you can't rely on spotting some random "sysctrl32.exe" process Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Work we use eTrust and Pest Patrol, Home I use AVG, MS AntiSpyware and ZoneLabs Zone Alarm Firewall.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    I use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i. I could probably run without a virus scanner, but I'm just not prepared to deal with the possibility of an anomalous infected download. And I occasionally still get warnings from floppy disks I haven't used in years that are infected with the Form or Junkie virus. Smiley

    I do run without Anti-Spyware, never had a need for that.

  • User profile image
    sheeeng

    JChung2006 wrote:

    I use Avast!

    http://www.avast.com/

    It runs fine on my PC and, best of all, it's free for home use.



    Me too!! Avast is the BEST (IMO)! Update files are small and regularly connected to the avast DB.

    Norton always crashes my system after sometimes... I don't use Norton anymore.

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    sheeeng wrote:
    Norton always crashes my system after sometimes... I don't use Norton anymore.
    If I recall correctly, poorly-written anti-virus software is the #2 cause of bluescreen crashes. #1 is poorly-written display drivers!

  • User profile image
    nlinus

    I use Norton Corporate here at the office, but at home I just run regular scans at Trend Micro HouseCall.  It's free and I've always been virus free.  Plus it's a secondary spyware check.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    jonathanh wrote:
    sheeeng wrote: Norton always crashes my system after sometimes... I don't use Norton anymore.
    If I recall correctly, poorly-written anti-virus software is the #2 cause of bluescreen crashes. #1 is poorly-written display drivers!


    What is firewalls? I have had more problems with firewall hooks than anything else.

    I know this is a stretch but does anyone else worry about the kernel drivers installed by things like DRM software on audio CDs? I stop autorun but how do we know those things don't cause system instability?

  • User profile image
    Andrei P

    None. And the last virus I got was CIH... back in 1998 or 1999.
    Last month I accidentally got a browser hijacker but which I disabled from "Manage Add-Ons" in Internet Explorer. That's my history of system infections. And I'm not using any firewall either (except the Windows XP one).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.