Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Decrypting strings

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brussell

    Is there a program that takes an encrypted string and tries to find a way to decrypt it?

  • User profile image
    Manip

    No; there is no such thing as magic.

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    google?

  • User profile image
    brussell

    Manip wrote:
    No; there is no such thing as magic.


    I can hope (Well, for testing I can hope there is. For releasing software, I hope there isn't)

  • User profile image
    brussell

    harumscarum wrote:
    google?


    I have been trying all sorts of searches on google and haven't come up with anything yet.

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    brussell wrote:
    Is there a program that takes an encrypted string and tries to find a  way decrypt it?


    I'm sure there is.  Can you post the string?

    Depending on the kind of encryption, and the kind of the data, there are various tricks that can be tried.

    Brute-force works surprisingly often.  It helps if you have a zombie army at your beck and call, too. (I mean, I would assume.)

  • User profile image
    brussell

    Maurits wrote:
    I'm sure there is.  Can you post the string?

    Depending on the kind of encryption, and the kind of the data, there are various tricks that can be tried.

    Brute-force works surprisingly often.  It helps if you have a zombie army at your beck and call, too. (I mean, I would assume.)


    It is a home made encryption and I'm hoping it isn't easy to decrypt.

  • User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

    brussell wrote:
    Maurits wrote: I'm sure there is.  Can you post the string?

    Depending on the kind of encryption, and the kind of the data, there are various tricks that can be tried.

    Brute-force works surprisingly often.  It helps if you have a zombie army at your beck and call, too. (I mean, I would assume.)


    It is a home made encryption and I'm hoping it isn't easy to decrypt.


    Unless you're a hard-core cryptographer, the answer is that it's easy to decrypt.  Of course, that assumes that there are enough samples to work from, but that usually isn't a problem.

    You're WAY better off sticking with one of the known good crypto algorithms and spending your time ensuring that your encryption key is a strong key.

  • User profile image
    Manip

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.