Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft's Birthday

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

As I'm sure you've read, it is Microsoft's thirtieth birthday today. My question to the other 9ers and to Microsoft employees is: What can we expect from Microsoft by the time it hits its sixtieth birthday?

Will Microsoft go out of business?
    Will Microsoft buy google?
    Will the C9 guy jump ship to google?
    Will Microsoft add Office for Linux to its line-up?
    -- What do you think?

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Manip

Shmuelpro wrote:
    could you imagine Vista back then?

Frankly, yes I could. Windows has not advanced very far since Windows 95 with the exceptions of perhaps the speech technology and the tablet (handwriting) technology.

If the power existed at the time you could have just as easily added transparent windows and a search box on the start menu to Windows 98 and nobody would have been too shocked.

• User profile image
    Manip

Power == Hardware you dolt.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    eagle

Microsoft will alert British Police and put an end to all your nefarious internet activity.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    Microsoft will alert British Police and put an end to all your nefarious internet activity.

Our police force doesn't engage in civil issues, only criminal. Our courts outsource bailiffs to do stuff that instead thesedays.

• User profile image
    billh

W3bbo wrote:
    Our police force doesn't engage in civil issues, only criminal. Our courts outsource bailiffs to do stuff that instead thesedays.

Bailiff? Did somebody say bailiff? As in, Rusty the Bailiff from the People's Court?

"Don't take the law into your own hands: you take 'em to court!" Mad

• User profile image
    Manip

Shmuelpro wrote:
    so basiclly you are saying that if we had the hardware at the time and we would have win95 and its equivilant technology at the time we could do all those flipping windows and effects?

I am saying, that if todays hardware had existed in 1995, Microsoft could have updated Windows 95 with the Vista-like effects and released it as Windows 98.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Manip wrote:

I am saying, that if todays hardware had existed in 1995, Microsoft could have updated Windows 95 with the Vista-like effects and released it as Windows 98.

Well, yes, but Vista is a bit more than a few fancy effects. If todays hardware had been available in 1995 I'd sure as hell would've expected an OS that was more stable, secure and efficient than Windows 98 - with or without fancy graphical effects.

• User profile image
    Manip

AndyC wrote:
    Well, yes, but Vista is a bit more than a few fancy effects. If todays hardware had been available in 1995 I'd sure as hell would've expected an OS that was more stable, secure and efficient than Windows 98 - with or without fancy graphical effects.

What exactly is your point? He said you couldn't do all the stuff Vista *does* (functionality) in 1995. I said that I disagree and if the hardware had been in place then you could have done exactly what Vista can do in 1995 (except Speech and Tablet stuff).

All Vista really does is add useless junk to waste the new hardware. The more powerful the hardware gets the more ways Microsoft find to waste it. That is why Windows 95 can run faster on a high end machine from the time when compared to a new Windows XP machine today.  

• User profile image
    Carlos Luna

we'll see flying cars Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Andrei P

What you call "useless junk" I call evolution.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Manip wrote:
    That is why Windows 95 can run faster on a high end machine from the time when compared to a new Windows XP machine today.  

...and blue screen a lot more often.

Stability, security and reliablity are features. They make the OS better to use. Do they impact performance? Yes, of course they do to some extent but the point is that the trade off on todays modern machines is small enough that it's worth doing.

As to the assertion that Vista wastes hardware, that's just plain wrong. Vista makes much better use of the hardware in your machine - right now your GPU is sat around doing nothing whilst the CPU is busy drawing things, that's a waste. It's one of the reasons that Vista is already faster than XP on most hardware.

• User profile image
    Wil

Manip wrote:

What can we expect from Microsoft by the time it hits its sixtieth birthday?

Cairo, release 1.0

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

On its sixtieth birthday Microsoft will be the one true media and corporate congolmerate in existance.  Microsoft will get into the defense market and produce weapons and technologies that will help keep the United States and the planet safe from aggressors either domestic or interplanetary.  We will all be forced to read Bil Gates books and Scobles Blog will be the main source of news to the world.

• User profile image
    typhoon121

Happy birthday MS   Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.