Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

LaTeX anyone?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mrichman

Who here still uses the LaTeX typesetting system?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

LaTeX is pretty much still the defacto standard for writing papers at University. Some teachers even require you to use it.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    LaTeX is pretty much still the defacto standard for writing papers at University. Some teachers even require you to use it.

What about PDF or some SGML-derivative?

• User profile image
    Erisan

I do.
    And I usually use LyX as a graphical interface.

• User profile image
    Sophocle

I do use Latex for complex documents.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sven Groot wrote:

Also here. I don't like it much, although.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: LaTeX is pretty much still the defacto standard for writing papers at University. Some teachers even require you to use it.

What about PDF or some SGML-derivative?

You don't write stuff in PDF. PDF is just a way to distribute it, and there are many ways to get from TeX to PDF, although postscript is used more often than PDF.

I've never seen any SGML based language (I assume you're talking about (X)HTML) used for papers meant for print.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    I've never seen any SGML based language (I assume you're talking about (X)HTML) used for papers meant for print.

No, IIRC, there are a few SGML-derivatives used for marking up "ordinary" (i.e. non-hypertext) documents.

For instance, the Oxford English Dictionary is authored in SGML.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I dated a girl once with a LaTeX fetish....fun times...fun times....

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I tried sooo refraining myself from posting that joke...

• User profile image
    AndyC

LaTeX is a great tool that produces really professional looking results, it's not exactly easy to use though and googling for help can return, um, interesting results...
    :O

• User profile image
    SvendTofte

I do. LaTeX produces beautiful math IMO.

• User profile image
    ingenious

I use LaTeX too, especially for university reports and stuff. I know Microsoft is pushing Word, but it would be really nice to see a LaTeX addin for Visual Studio (just an idea Wink ). VS is has the a very powerful text editor and is a highly customazable and extendable IDE, so it is not a big deal to write a LaTeX addin.

The only reason I haven't written myself one is because I'm not much into the MiKTeX interface and VS extensibility, but this could save a lot of effort spent in struggling with all these awful LaTeX front-ends for Windows out there.

P.S. Why, on Earth, isn't there a good LaTeX IDE for Windows? All available are either ugly, or pretty limited as editors. I miss VS when TeX-ing....

• User profile image
    AndyC

ingenious wrote:

P.S. Why, on Earth, isn't there a good LaTeX IDE for Windows? All available are either ugly, or pretty limited as editors. I miss VS when TeX-ing....

Best I've ever found is TeXnicCenter, it's not great but it does a pretty good job on the whole. It was certainly the best of a bad bunch last I looked.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

I've learned few bits in university. Enough that I could say I hate it. Latex should get XML-fied... (but then it would not be latex anymore, would it? Smiley )

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Big Smile with Lyx... but... (nothing) Embarassed

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

RoyalSchrubber wrote:
    I've learned few bits in university. Enough that I could say I hate it. Latex should get XML-fied... (but then it would not be latex anymore, would it? )

I know, it just screams XML to us doesn't it.  I think it's testament to Knuth's abilities that he came up with all this in the late 70's, only 20 or 30 years before the rest of the IT industry grasped the idea of separating content from style ....

Herbie

• User profile image
    Wil

Dr Herbie wrote:
    I think it's testament to Knuth's abilities that he came up with all this in the late 70's, only 20 or 30 years before the rest of the IT industry grasped the idea of separating content from style ....

It's always amusing how the pendulum continues to swing.  When UNIX started to catch on in the early 1970s, one of the main selling points was that it included troff (and nroff, for daisy-wheel and typeball printers), a word-processing program that used embedded markup commands.  Later on, when WYSIWYG-type programs such as Wordperfect and MS Word came along, people couldn't imagine doing thing any other way than on-screen editing with the markup hidden.  Now everyone is refactoring everything to reflect a "separation of concerns", so that all you need to do to change a document's look and feel is swap XSLT stylesheets.  I wonder what's next?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.