Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

So far so good:

From my confirmation email:

Venue:        ICC, Birmingham
    Date(s):        8th November 2005
    Time:        09:00

So I go on to TheTrainline.com and look up some times, but the horrror!

The earliest train from my town, Knutsford, to Birmingham New Street Station is at 6:34am and arrives at 8:59am, the event starts at 9am.

Erk!

Anyone got any suggestions?

• User profile image
    Manip

Go the night before?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    Go the night before?

Well, I've got a few friends in Redditch I could crash with, is that far?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Okay, so the event really begins at 10am, so I can make it on time.

But now I have to justify the £43 ($90) train fare to myself.

Would anyone say its worth attending?

• User profile image
    Manip

You have already registered... Don't waste seats in the sessions by not turning up...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    You have already registered... Don't waste seats in the sessions by not turning up...

True, but its still 2 months in advance, I can always cancel.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

W3bbo wrote:

1. Are you married? If yes it's worth going by yourself
    2. Will you get a free copy of VS? If yes it's worth going
    3. Do you have $90 to spend? See #1 and #2

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

W3bbo wrote:

Where's your rich uncle drawing draughts these days?

I'd say it is worth it, but then again, I didn't pay the $2,000 for a PDC ticket either.

• User profile image
    Wil

W3bbo wrote:

You can buy a book on VS2005 for a lot less than that, and you will learn a whole lot more about the new features than you would by attending the launch.

• User profile image
    andokai

W3bbo wrote:

If you can afford the time then I would say absolutely. A free copy of VS 2005 and SQL Server 2005 and a chance to network with people in the industry would be easily worth the price of the train ticket.

• User profile image
    Sabot

W3bbo wrote:

The software will be worth the asking price all on it's own.

You will be in a place where everyone is like you ... a Microsoft Geek. I usually go around and get talking to people and learn lots and make new contacts and friends. Also it's cool if you can meet up with people you see on C9 and put a real face to avatar.

Scoble wasn't a shock. It's funny but my mental image of Robert wasn't all that far from the real thing.

But Robert mate ... I think it's time to hit the gym. I can say that now. I've lost a stone !!!! Target weight here I come.

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:

Hard to tell. I've been to some of these "launch" events and they've been a waste of time - all dry ice, Bill Gates (or some stand-in) saying nothing with any substance that's worth listening to and long queues to get a train at the end.

But then I lose a day's income on top of any train fare so I'm biased on judging the value of these things.

This looks to be a good use of time. There are some sessions that should deliver something of value, a day's training (or conference) covering the same material would want £300 registration fee from you, and the fact there is a community session at the end of the day suggests there will be a chance to talk to peers - often the best value at an event like this.

Of course if all the reports of the £1000 software giveaway to each attendee prove true then you've got yourself a bargain and will be grinning from ear to ear at the bargain you've got.

It's your choice, but frankly if you're worrying over whether a day about the latest tools release is worth £45 then this event probably isn't aimed at you.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    It's your choice, but frankly if you're worrying over whether a day about the latest tools release is worth £45 then this event probably isn't aimed at you.

Alright, I'll attend Tongue Out

...is anyone else going to the Birmingham event?

Its being held at the ICC, so it can't be a "small time" thing.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Redditch is about a half hour train / bus ride from New St (may be faster now they have the new fangled electric trains, I haven't lived there in a long time!) New St is maybe 10 - 15 mins walk from the ICC

£43 doesn't some to bad to me. I'm sure I'll have to pay more than that to get there from Norwich but I'll take the opportunity to visit the folks.

• User profile image
    z33driver

Think about it another way, you are a student.  It could be valuable when looking for a job in the future to make some real contacts and network a little at an event like this.  You'll get the tools, you'll learn a little about how to use them, and you'll be that much farther ahead of your classmates.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ooookay then.

Can everyone attending the Birmingham event exchange contact details?

FYI, my mobile number is 07111 111 111.

Anyone can feel free to send me SMS messages, they're free to receive here in the UK (I hear you yanks pay 5 cents to open a message and 10 cents to send)

• User profile image
    koorb

This is the first I have hared of this. Where do you get more information about the event?

• User profile image
    irascian

koorb wrote:
    This is the first I have hared of this. Where do you get more information about the event?

Click on the link in this post

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.