Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Rescue cd for Longhorn

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

What do you guys think of my ideas for Longhorn's rescue cd?

http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.LonghornWiki

• User profile image
    Jaz

repair files via the internet.  i don't think so, bandwith and stuff for this non critical application is pointless.

http://bit-tech.net/review/328/  take alook at this though

• User profile image
    PeterF

Sounds a lot like what WindowsPE is doing...
    To make your WindowsPE cd, go to BartPE and check it out.
    But nevertheless, it would be nice to be able to do this  without a third party tool. (although with very limited functionality because Bart has done a great effort supporting tools)

Good luck,
    Peter

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Jaz wrote:
    repair files via the internet.  i don't think so, ...

Nonono, when repairing the system the program checks windowsupdate to see if there is a newer version of a system file. Otherwise you could just repair to the original Windows version and you would have to download every update again.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Personally, I think that updating any files to the latest RTM version should be handled by Windows update (or maybe by both) and not the rescue CD (at least alone). By the way, maybe the general purpose one could be intergraded with the installation disk. Also, I don't think I'd like the ability to run Office from a CD-ROM drive (it is slow and not writable) but to each his own. Additionally, getting it on to the computer (which has a busted Windows installation) from the LAN really is in the jurisdiction of the BIOS manufacters.

Other than that, I like your ideas.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.