Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

E-Books: Does Anybody Buy Them?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsrfc58

I'm curious...does anybody (other than Tablet PC owners I guess) actually buy/use e-books?  I'm wondering how big the market is for them nowadays.  For reference books I can see this happening, but how about for non-fiction or even fiction?

Thanks in advance...

• User profile image
    reedracer

If a book is available as an ebook, I prefer that format.  Followed by audion and plain old paper.  I have an H2210 Pocket PC.  I can read it anywhere, do not need a light to read in bed, can keep track of time very easily, and can annotate or bookmark anything in context.  I prefer Microsoft reader over the rest, as well.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

No, because ebooks are generally overpriced.

• User profile image
    Red5

I prefer e-books for the same reasons as reedracer. I not only read them, I make them for MSReader. You can find may e-texts at project gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org

• User profile image
    z33driver

I do, but then again I'm a Tablet PC user.  But, for things like fiction books (I'm a big Tom Clancy fan) I usually like to buy the actual book, because when I'm done with it I can sell it and recoup some of the cost.  I've never tried to sell an ebook I already bought, and I'm not sure if its even possible.

Edit:
    http://www.ebooks.com/">http://www.ebooks.com is actually kind of impressive with some of the esoteric titles that are available in electronic form too, like TheStreet.com's "The Master Swing Trader: Tools and Techniques to Profit from Outstanding Short-Term Trading Opportunities" and "http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_display.asp?IID=183680">Trade Like a Hedge Fund: 20 Successful Uncorrelated Strategies and Techniques to Winning Profits".  Pretty cool.

• User profile image
    jabancroft

I read ebooks almost exclusively on my Pocket PC devices. They're cheap at www.ereader.com (formerly Palm Digital Media formerly Peanut Press). Lots of recent and interesting titles, and I pay an average of $6-7 dollars per title. Less than paperback, and far more convenient - they're always with me, it remembers my place automatically, and I can read at night with the Pocket PC backlight and not bother my sleeping wife (as much as a full on light).

Josh Bancroft
    www.tinyscreenfuls.com

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Don't buy eBooks if you don't have a handy portable solution, like a tablet. And if you intend of reading them on a CRT, don't even think about it.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

I've just purchased Dan Brown's Deception Point as an e-book. This is the first e-book I have purchased.

I have an m200 tablet pc which I found got to hot (even with the backlight on low and the proc set to min), also I was very nervous with the thought of dropping of to sleep and dropping it.

I then switched to reading the same book on my PDA, which as others have said is the best way. The light doesn't bother my wife-to-be at night. If I drop it, which I have it doesn't break.   Big Smile

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Yeah, I use them. Specifically, I have a copy of the NIV and ink on it at church. I get the strangest looks.. Smiley

• User profile image
    ghos

Ooh Deception Point, nice book.  I like all of Dan Browns books.

As for e-books, I tried getting into them a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately without a portable solution they aren't viable. 
    I was able to try reading one on a pocketpc and it was better than desktop, but I read fast and I felt like I was turning the page every few seconds.
    I think a tablet PC sounds like the most idea way to read a e-book.  If I had one I might purchase e-books as they are usually cheaper than the real book alternative.
    Still nothing like having a real book in your hands and turning the pages.

• User profile image
    Karim

MisterDonut wrote:
    Yeah, I use them. Specifically, I have a copy of the NIV and ink on it at church. I get the strangest looks..

Come to Neighborhood Friendship Church!   There are no strangers here, only friends.  We have an energetic pastor, a wonderful choir and a vibrant community service program.  In addition, we also offer free Wi-Fi.  Come worship with us!

LOL

• User profile image
    brussell

reedracer wrote:
    If a book is available as an ebook, I prefer that format.  Followed by audion and plain old paper.  I have an H2210 Pocket PC.  I can read it anywhere, do not need a light to read in bed, can keep track of time very easily, and can annotate or bookmark anything in context.  I prefer Microsoft reader over the rest, as well.

Same with me.
    I have also been checking e-books out from the library.

• User profile image
    z33driver

brussell wrote:
    reedracer wrote: If a book is available as an ebook, I prefer that format.  Followed by audion and plain old paper.  I have an H2210 Pocket PC.  I can read it anywhere, do not need a light to read in bed, can keep track of time very easily, and can annotate or bookmark anything in context.  I prefer Microsoft reader over the rest, as well.

Same with me.
    I have also been checking e-books out from the library.
    Have you seen http://www.netlibrary.com?  I tried to see it, but it tells me my browser (IE7 beta) is not supported.  Anyway, its supposed to be an online ebook library.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.