Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Anyone understand this error?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Fritz

    When i click disconnect on my net connection the computer just goes to a blue screen with white writing that says windows got an error. and if its the first time i see this screen then reboot, if it pops up again check all your hardware is properly installed.

    The thing is i havent recently downloaded new hardware... well ok i have but ONLY from re formating and reinstalling windows. I did all that cos i kept getting this error and after I format and reinstall XP it still happens!! anyway when I reboot after the blue screen a microsoft windows box (the send or dont send box) says windows got a serious error and all the details are just lots and lots of numbers that i dont think anyone would understand. However these 2 files are mentioned in the error report..

    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070504-01.dmp

    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

    Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this error i keep getting?
    Thanks

  • User profile image
    PeterF

    What hardware do you use?
    Which motherboard, modem etc?
    You could try installing the chipset drivers from the manufacturer, like the Inf Chipset installer from Intel or the 4In1 drivers from VIA.

    My first hunch would be to try and get the latest drivers...

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    And what was the result of sending this report to Microsoft? Most of the times they can specify which driver caused the crash on their website.

  • User profile image
    Staffan Gustafssson

    To get to know more about the dump, you can use windbg (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx)

    After adding it to your path, you can run the following in your command shell:

    windbg -c".ecxr;kb" -y SRV*c:\temp*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols -z C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070504-01.dmp

    It should give you a call stack of the module that crashed (IIRC). Maybe the command "!analyze" could give you information too...

    The help in windbg will give you more information on the commands above (basically "debug my dump file with microsoft symbols, and the first thing you should do is change to the exception context and give me a stack trace"

    Regards,

    /Staffan

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    Fritz wrote:

    When i click disconnect on my net connection the computer just goes to a blue screen with white writing that says windows got an error. and if its the first time i see this screen then reboot, if it pops up again check all your hardware is properly installed.

    The thing is i havent recently downloaded new hardware... well ok i have but ONLY from re formating and reinstalling windows. I did all that cos i kept getting this error and after I format and reinstall XP it still happens!! anyway when I reboot after the blue screen a microsoft windows box (the send or dont send box) says windows got a serious error and all the details are just lots and lots of numbers that i dont think anyone would understand. However these 2 files are mentioned in the error report..

    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070504-01.dmp

    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

    Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this error i keep getting?
    Thanks



    This is the exact same thing that happened to me when I disconnected my USB cable modem from my PC. I switched over to the ethernet port and I haven't had any problems ever since.

    By the way, you might want to have 1 thread on this as it is the same issue.

  • User profile image
    PeterF

    You could also try to disable HyperThreading in the BIOS. Some drivers of cheap-tech companies will crash on multi-CPU computers.

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    PeterF wrote:
    You could also try to disable HyperThreading in the BIOS. Some drivers of cheap-tech companies will crash on multi-CPU computers.


    I had this same problem back when I had a P2 with my usb/ethernet cable modem. I'm positive that the problem is that the modem is a usb modem.

  • User profile image
    Fritz

    PeterF wrote:
    You could also try to disable HyperThreading in the BIOS. Some drivers of cheap-tech companies will crash on multi-CPU computers.



    Shall give it a go... how is that done?

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    Fritz wrote:
    PeterF wrote:You could also try to disable HyperThreading in the BIOS. Some drivers of cheap-tech companies will crash on multi-CPU computers.



    Shall give it a go... how is that done?


    Via the BIOS.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    Staffan Gustafssson wrote:
    To get to know more about the dump, you can use windbg (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx)

    After adding it to your path, you can run the following in your command shell:

    windbg -c".ecxr;kb" -y SRV*c:\temp*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols -z C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070504-01.dmp

    It should give you a call stack of the module that crashed (IIRC). Maybe the command "!analyze" could give you information too...

    The help in windbg will give you more information on the commands above (basically "debug my dump file with microsoft symbols, and the first thing you should do is change to the exception context and give me a stack trace"

    Regards,

    /Staffan


    Excellent advice, Staffan.

    How about posting the stack trace here so we can debug this together? There's certainly plenty we can all learn.

    Hmm. Community debugging. Now that's a good way to way to learn together.

    Charles

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.