Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

VS2005 RTM on MSDN 14th October!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

Just seen the following email from Microsoft UK which I thought a few here would be interested in:

"Whilst the Ascend program for VS2005 has now finished I thought I would give you one last update re the final release schedule.  Release of VS2005 will be October 14th, subject to any last minute hitches.  On October 14th (US time), all the different versions of VS2005, express aside, will be available for download by MSDN subscribers from the MSDN downloads site.  Also, in case you aren’t already aware, Team Foundation Server has been delayed by 3 months however there is already a Beta3 version available and a refreshed version of Beta3, compatible with the release of VS2005, will be available on October 14th from the MSDN subscriber download site. November the 7th is the official launch date, at which point the full express editions will be available for download and you will be begin to see VS2005 available in the shops.

So from October 14th you can download, build and redistribute your applications on the released version of VS2005"

• User profile image
    borosen

This is great news.

Thanks for the info irascian ...

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Great news Ian, but what about the .NET Framework? Will version 2.0 be complete, and ship at the same time as Visual Studio 2005? I'm assuming WPF and WCF are still en-route to a Vista launch... or has there been word otheriwise?

• User profile image
    littleguru

GREAT news!

• User profile image
    Manip

Which means that the thing about "free" VS 2005 at the launch were indeed just rumours (If it isn't released until Christmas)... Which is a good thing, if people cancel their places at London I might be able to switch to some good sessions Big Smile

• User profile image
    AndyC

Er, don't want to rain on your parade Manip but Oct 14th is before the official launch events so it's perfectly possible for them to be giving copies away then.

• User profile image
    Manip

Opps misread something, nevermind. Sad

• User profile image
    VBASPCoder

October 14th eh? It's almost 5:00p.m. PDT, but I haven't seen the product uploaded on MSDN Subscription site as of yet...

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Theres been a slip in the schedule due to regression testing IIRC. There are a couple threads floating around on the forum regarding it.

• User profile image
    irascian

VBASPCoder wrote:

October 14th eh? It's almost 5:00p.m. PDT, but I haven't seen the product uploaded on MSDN Subscription site as of yet...

The key phrase in my original post is "subject to any last minute hitches".  Sad

If you look at postings made over the last 48 hours you will see there are differing theories on when exactly VS2005 will be made available on MSDN Universal.

In summary, there are claims over on LonghornBlogs that the VS2005 product manager has said it definitely won't be available on MSDN Universal before the official launch date of November 7th.

This contradicts not only the Microsoft-sourced email I extracted above, and the information we were given at the start of last week but also a Channel 9 video interview with Microsoft staff that said it would be on MSDN "before 7th November".  My sources told us at the beginning of last week that regression testing had revealed a problem and there would be a delay, probably of a few days. The truth is decisions get made on an almost daily basis (especially when looking at bugs, their likely impact and time to fix) and so it's hard to tell what the real story is.

I'm still optimistic that it will be up on MSDN Universal by next weekend, but I may be being overly optimistic (which as a self-proclaimed pessimist is rather worrying Wink)

• User profile image
    scobleizer

irascian wrote:

The key phrase in my original post is "subject to any last minute hitches". 

I'm hanging out with a C# team member. He says it'll be next week sometime.

• User profile image
    irascian

scobleizer wrote:

I'm hanging out with a C# team member. He says it'll be next week sometime.

Thanks for that, Robert.

• User profile image
    Zeo

irascian wrote:

I'm still optimistic that it will be up on MSDN Universal by next weekend, but I may be being overly optimistic (which as a self-proclaimed pessimist is rather worrying )

So you’re a walking contradiction eh?

Your the world first optimistically pessimist person, at least when it comes to Microsoft ship dates right?

Or is it the other way:

You’re pessimistically optimistic about Microsoft ship dates?

So to put it another way....your expecting to be satisfactorily let down about when exactly Microsoft ships.

Either way. I’ve confused myself now....(goes walking around in circles)

Just joking...

I think (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) that you’re just eager to get your hands on VS2005...because while the ship date may not be 100% accurate, VS 2005 is 100% awesome. 

• User profile image
    irascian

I once got contacted by despair.com asking me if I'd talk to  the Wall Street Journal for an article they were writing about the new "pessimism" approach in the business world. It turns out that I'd ordered so many "Pessimism" awards and "Pessimism mugs" (they're goblets with a marker half way up and the slogan "This mug is half empty" alongside it) for my dev team I was considered one of their best customers! I've always taken the attitude "hope for the best but expect the worst" because I've got burnt way too often by the nascent optimism of developers and project managers that invariably screw up expectations, costs and delivery dates.

That being said, nihilism will doom a project before it's gotten off the ground, so being pessimistic all the time is NOT a solution to the problem.

When I left a client I'd contracted at for four years the head of architecture there said he would miss my "unique approach of  approaching each project with a sense of gloomy optimism" (although "happy pessimism" would probably fit just as well) which probably best describes the whole pessimism/optimism thing! The trick is to be optimistic and encouraging with your team members whilst making it clear to management when they are being blinded by their own hype and ridiculously over-the-top optimism.

As for VS2005 it's a bit more personal than that. I've just started a new project for a client as "technical lead".  It involves taking a large amount of existing framework code and adapting it for delivery of a new product for one of their clients around Christmas time, with a hidden objective of refactoring the code where possible to better position it for the future. I've fought quite hard for this to be the client's first VS2005 web project. There is, as you'd expect, considerable opposition, because it's seen as high risk. Fortunately, the CTO supports the use of VS2005 (although the CEO and BAs regard it as too high risk) and basically I think I've won agreement that I can have "one day" to get the code up and running ready for regression testing.

There is a LOT of code and a lot of changes to sort out and I've basically agreed that that "one day" will be a Friday or a Monday (which gives me a weekend in addition, albeit in my own time). The timescales really needed that "one day" to be this Monday!

The delay screws me somewhat in that it messes some very tight deadlines up and next weekend isn't a lot of use to me as I am away at the Developer Developer Developer day (early start to drive to Reading, late return after the geek dinner) so effectively I'm going to have a rather shortened Sunday to try and get up and running, assuming that VS2005 is not only uploaded but downloadable over my rather poor 512MB broadband connection before next weekend(assuming I can have it all downloaded by the Friday evening).

Truth is that if it doesn't get released in its RTM version before next weekend I'm not going to be doing any "real" work with VS2005 until next year. Hence the extreme interest in it being available early.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Is SQL Server 2005 subject of the same delays as VS2005?

• User profile image
    Zeo

This changes by the hour....last I had hear was early next week around tuesday...

Saturday, 10.15.2005

"We're hours away from releasing to manufacture (our way of saying "ship it to the customers") Visual Studio 2005. This is a big deal for the developer division. There are tons of people who've worked for years on this series of products. The launch event is November 7.

To get ready for RTM, we wanted to sit down with one of the guys who runs the team and talk about what it took to get here. Hope you enjoy this little chat with one of the top managers at Microsoft where you get to learn a little more about some of the challenges of building the tools that much of the world's software is built on."

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=126992

• User profile image
    irascian

I had heard "Tuesday or Wednesday" on Wednesday last week but of course RTM could have been today with them needing three days to get it up on MSDN Universal, mirrored etc.

So your source could be correct in that it's ready now, but your earlier information could also be correct in that it won't be on MSDN Universal until Tuesday.

• User profile image
    irascian

And an update received this morning:

"There have been some last minute things found which the SQL team want to resolve before release, so we can expect a delay of a week or two."

Sad

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.