Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

19 years old, what path should I take to work at Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

    I do not code, but I love to think of ideas for programs, and how many of the apps out now can be improved.

    I was a CS major, fun but not what I thought it would be : /

    Now I am a bio major to become a doctor but i really don't like learning all this material when my passion is technology and economic trends.

    I am moving out of my parents house after this semester is complete and I want to know what can I do to work at Microsoft?

    I can move to Redmond pretty quickly after saving up some money for an apartment, but after that what should I do?

    What courses do I take, major in what? I just want to be apart of this family more than ever.

    If it involves being a janitor for the first 4 years while I'm in school I will do it. As long as I get to play with the latest vista builds and talk to developers about how I think the product could be more concrete. I live and breathe computers all day and the Redmond campus just seems like the right place for me to spend my entire day.

    Thanks to anyone from Microsoft who can reply!

  • User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

    That requires I find good developers.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    DevilsRejection wrote:
    That requires I find good developers.


    Well, I'm available Wink

  • User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

    Why not just ask for a slot on the Vista Beta program if you want to test the latest builds that much?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Andre Da Costa wrote:
    Why not just ask for a slot on the Vista Beta program if you want to test the latest builds that much?


    Uhm... what?

    His post didn't put much emphasis on wanting to test the latest builds, but more about a general "what is my fate?"  musing.

  • User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

    W3bbo wrote:
    Andre Da Costa wrote:Why not just ask for a slot on the Vista Beta program if you want to test the latest builds that much?


    Uhm... what?

    His post didn't put much emphasis on wanting to test the latest builds, but more about a general "what is my fate?"  musing.


    yea thanks for clearing that up haha. this isn't just about vista, i just said that as an example.

  • User profile image
    prog_dotnet

    DevilsRejection wrote:
    I do not code, but I love to think of ideas for programs, and how many of the apps out now can be improved.

    I was a CS major, fun but not what I thought it would be : /

    Now I am a bio major to become a doctor but i really don't like learning all this material when my passion is technology and economic trends.

    I am moving out of my parents house after this semester is complete and I want to know what can I do to work at Microsoft?

    I can move to Redmond pretty quickly after saving up some money for an apartment, but after that what should I do?

    What courses do I take, major in what? I just want to be apart of this family more than ever.

    If it involves being a janitor for the first 4 years while I'm in school I will do it. As long as I get to play with the latest vista builds and talk to developers about how I think the product could be more concrete. I live and breathe computers all day and the Redmond campus just seems like the right place for me to spend my entire day.

    Thanks to anyone from Microsoft who can reply!



    Microsoft has over 10 000 Windows Vista Beta testes, and not to mention all the msdn subscribers also. Sure you can play with any OS of your choosing, but you only learn the high level stuff.

    If you want to dig deep into the core functionally of an operating system, a CS operating systems course is highly recommended.

    The computer science department at Berkley has put some of their courses online with streaming lectures in real player format.

    Take a look at the CS 162 course; Operating Systems and System Programming.

    http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses/archive.php?seriesid=1906978246


    The instructor for the 2005 fall class, John D KUBIATOWICZ, have friends at the Microsoft campus and are really, really smart.

    I would take a look at the other courses also; they are quite informative to put it mildly.

  • User profile image
    ACT10Npack

    Design a better OS then what Microsoft is doing now. Then release beta version of the new OS. When that happens, wait for Microsoft to buy your OS and then ask them for a job. But you would be rich and you want to start a software company on your own.

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    [I nuked a few nasty posts there. Don't make me do it again.]

    I'm betting that best shot you have at improving your chances of working at Microsoft is to get an internship.

    http://www.microsoft.com/College/ has more info on this.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Invent an innovative idea, develop it, becomes popular over the internet and then wait for them to call you.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    The first time manip ever revealed any personal information and you nuked it!

  • User profile image
    El Bruno

    Manip wrote:
    Invent an innovative idea, develop it, becomes popular over the internet and then wait for them to call you.


    That's the way to do it !!!

    Bye from Spain Big Smile

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    eagle wrote:
    The first time manip ever revealed any personal information and you nuked it!


    What was it?

  • User profile image
    billh

    jonathanh wrote:
    I'm betting that best shot you have at improving your chances of working at Microsoft is to get an internship.

    http://www.microsoft.com/College/ has more info on this.


    Thanks!!!

    JonathanH, YOU ROCK!

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    Hehehehe... billh is getting cranky again...

  • User profile image
    billh

    jonathanh wrote:
    Hehehehe... billh is getting cranky again...


    No...it is just the ol' standard line.  That's all.  I'm surprised that everybody wants to work there so bad given all the evidence.

  • User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

    thanks looking at internships as we speak

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    Check your e-mail, DevilsRejection.

    _ Steve

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.