Coffeehouse Thread

37 posts

We're Hiring!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

Hey there Niners...

Just a quick note to let you know we're hiring for the Channel 9 Team.  I've posted details over on my blog at http://jeffsandquist.com/hiring/

And as Charles would say... Keep on posting!

Thanks!
    -Jeff

Here's the post from my blog...

Ok, I am biased but I think I've got the best team inside Microsoft and guess what, we're hiring!

First I'm looking for Developers who love the web and are experienced with ASP.NET, SQL, and CSS.  Your passion should be for shipping breakthrough user experiences on the web work as part of a team to help build sites like Channel 9, MicrosoftGadgets.com and even cooler stuff we can't talk about yet.

In addition to Developers we are looking to add to our interview crew for Channel 9.  The ideal person will be well versed in the current wave of Microsoft developer technologies, industry trends, and competition. They should also have experience in software development is preferred but not required. Strong digital video filming, editing, and compression skills are required as we shoot, edit, and produce our own content. 

Do you like to ship, takes chances and effect change?
    Can you work independently and pride yourself in the ability to get things done?
    Want a work on a team thats fun and where you'll make an impact on day one?
    Do you wan to help care and feed a unique community?

Then we're the team for you! 

Interested?

Send an email to me at JeffSandatMicrosoftdotcom with the subject line "Channel 9 Careers" and include your answers to the following questions:

1. What project are you the most proud of? (if you can, send a link)

2. What is the toughest technical problem you personally had to solve?

We look forward to hearing from you!

• User profile image
    billh

Tempting...tempting...

[6]

But I'd rule with an iron fist. Mad

And then I could lock JonathanH's threads. [6]

• User profile image
    footballism

billh wrote:

But I'd rule with an iron fist.

Sometimes, dictatorship and iron fist can really get things done, such as the situation in China and Russia:p

billh wrote:

And then I could lock JonathanH's threads.

But, sometimes authority and power can be abused if executed inappropriately:p

Sheva

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Thanks for editing your post to include your post from your blog, Jeff Smiley

prog_dotnet wrote:
    http://jeffsandquist.com/hiring/ The page cannot be displayed. ( IE 7.0 Beta) The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Yeah, I got that as well.

Reloading brought it up, though.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

For those who had the 404's on my blog.  I think it is fixed.  I had Dasblog set to send a 404 to referral spammer links but for some reason it was triggering everying time.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

edit: link fixed http://jeffsandquist.com/hiring/ The page cannot be displayed. ( IE 7.0 Beta)

So I use the following instead..

http://www.jeffsandquist.com/TheChannel9TeamIsHiring.aspx

hmm...this is weird...when clicking on the .aspx page, the page cannot be displayed is shown, but the page is loaded when I copy the link and paste it into the adress field.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

jeffsand wrote:
    Strong digital video filming, editing, and compression skills are required as we shoot, edit, and produce our own content.

Now there will be no excuse for video backlog.  Big Smile

• User profile image
    jonathanh

billh wrote:
    Tempting...tempting...

But I'd rule with an iron fist.

And then I could lock JonathanH's threads.
    You must use your Force only for Good, young billh....

...unless they really p*ss you off... then you can lock 'em Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

...are you allowed to work from home at all?

• User profile image
    Jaz

W3bbo makes a point, what if a european wants to join up and work in europe going to placeslike the cambridge research labs, MS Reading and errr the MSN offices in London?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    I'll do all the C9 video editing for free, just because it would be fun but also because I like to transfer 99GB raw MPEG 2 files from the US

MPEG2 isn't "raw", *.dv is Smiley

Besides, can't you hijack your universitie's Internet2 connection to get at the videos instead?

• User profile image
    Manip

I'll do all the C9 video editing for free, just because it would be fun but also because I like to transfer 90GB raw MPEG 2 files from the US Tongue Out

Manip interviews Gates:

Manip: So do you think having developers waste time creating flashy 3D effects was really the right way to go?
    Gates: Vista adds a lot more than just Aero Glass; we have also re-written the audio stack and decreased application loading time...
    Manip: OK, so you've had thousands of developers working for four years almost eight hours per day and all you can come up with are two REAL improvements in Vista?
    Gates: Don't forget our new foundation classes, that will support development for the next ten years!
    Manip: Isn't that just a nice way of saying -- "We ran out of ideas so made it easier for more creative people to do it for us" ?
    Manip: Plus with the graphic buttons getting bigger and bigger in Vista, and the next Office gaining the same kind of interface aren't you basically saying - "Our customers are morons?"
    Gates: Our customers vary in their abilities; we want to make computers easy to use!
    Manip: Should I take that to mean you're going to keep dumbing down Windows until even the stupidest common denominator can use it? Isn't that was Bob was supposed to be?
    Gates: Bob wasn't one of our greatest mar-....
    Manip: IT SUCKS
    Gates: Well it wasn't the be-..
    Manip: It blows big time ...
    Gates: OK, do you have any other Vista questions?
    Manip: I've read about Vista's new DRM; and to help you in your day to day life I have brought you in this digital voice recorder -- it encodes to WMA.
    Gates: Wow thank you .. I always love to try our new products and innovations!
    Manip: Well first off the voice recorder runs a derived BSD OS, because having a powerful enough CPU to run CE would cost around five hundred dollars per unit... But more so, when you record voice onto it that sound is placed in a WMA file that has DRM which means you can't move that sound off the device.
    Gates: What use is it if I can't copy it to my PC?
    Manip: What use is high resolution video you can't watch on your high resolution monitor?
    Gates: That isn't how Vista works....
    Manip: Oh yeah.. It is up to the content provider how much they screw you over... And we all know they are trustworthy and don't abuse their monopoly, right?
    Gates: I think I'll have to leave it there, I am a busy guy...
    Manip: Yes, I'm sure drinking $90 cups of coffee is very time consuming... Expressionless
    Gates: Hope we can do this again sometime

[Gates picks up phone]
    Gates: Security -- I want this idiot out of the building and off the campus in five minutes!

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Too bad I don't live in the US Expressionless

• User profile image
    irascian

Steve411 wrote:
    Sending e-mail now, Charles. If you hire me for the video position that'd be one of the greatest moves that C9 has made since...the day i got hired.

- Steve

Don't take this the wrong way, but....

The first lesson in applying for ANY job is to read the job ad THOROUGHLY.

Inundated with applications and a limited time to review them, the rejection process can be pretty brutal. And the first applications to get cut in the initial round of pruning things back to a manageable level are usually those who don't follow the rules clearly laid out in the job ad.

So you might want to re-read that job ad and post at the top of this thread to see who it is you're supposed to be emailing and who it is doing the hiring (Clue: it's NOT Charles).

• User profile image
    Manip

W3bbo wrote:
    MPEG2 isn't "raw", *.dv is

Sorry, I just call stuff badly compressed or of high quality "raw" even if it is technically inaccurate... I call DVDs 'raw' for example... I really need to cut it out.

Steve411 wrote:
    Sending e-mail now, Charles. If you hire me for the video position that'd be one of the greatest moves that C9 has made since...the day i got hired.

- Steve

In order to try and not upset or offend, I'll just say this: I don't think you are the 'right' guy for the job.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Sending e-mail now, Jeff. If you hire me for the video position that'd be one of the greatest moves that C9 has made since...the day i got hired. Smiley

- Steve

• User profile image
    Steve411

irascian wrote:
    Steve411 wrote: Sending e-mail now, Charles. If you hire me for the video position that'd be one of the greatest moves that C9 has made since...the day i got hired.

- Steve

Don't take this the wrong way, but....

The first lesson in applying for ANY job is to read the job ad THOROUGHLY.

Inundated with applications and a limited time to review them, the rejection process can be pretty brutal. And the first applications to get cut in the initial round of pruning things back to a manageable level are usually those who don't follow the rules clearly laid out in the job ad.

So you might want to re-read that job ad and post at the top of this thread to see who it is you're supposed to be emailing and who it is doing the hiring (Clue: it's NOT Charles).

I skimmed it and i do understand the positions available, however getting the posters name is a fair mistake and i hope you dont hold it against me.

ps. (Didn't charles post the last "We're hiring" thread?)
    -Steve

• User profile image
    Steve411

Manip wrote:

In order to try and not upset or offend, I'll just say this: I don't think you are the 'right' guy for the job.

I'll just ignore that.

- Steve

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.