Coffeehouse Thread

37 posts

We're Hiring!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

Steve411 wrote:

however getting the posters name is a fair mistake and i hope you dont hold it against me.

-Steve

Well I'm the wrong person to be asking, but I suspect Microsoft is probably the one company where you don't need to worry too much about simple and understandable mistakes like this. There are some excellent guidelines to applying for a job with Microsoft on a blog from one of their recruiters (I'm at work in my lunch break so don't have the URL to hand until I get home tonight).

I just wanted to give you a heads up for future opportunities because I've worked at some companies where it has been decided that the only way to "manage" the deluge of applications received has been to reject as many as possible for the vaguest reasons ("the font size is too small on the CV", "he's mis-spelt the job title so there's no quality to his work" etc).

• User profile image
    Steve411

irascian wrote:
    Steve411 wrote:
    however getting the posters name is a fair mistake and i hope you dont hold it against me.

-Steve

Well I'm the wrong person to be asking, but I suspect Microsoft is probably the one company where you don't need to worry too much about simple and understandable mistakes like this. There are some excellent guidelines to applying for a job with Microsoft on a blog from one of their recruiters (I'm at work in my lunch break so don't have the URL to hand until I get home tonight).

I just wanted to give you a heads up for future opportunities because I've worked at some companies where it has been decided that the only way to "manage" the deluge of applications received has been to reject as many as possible for the vaguest reasons ("the font size is too small on the CV", "he's mis-spelt the job title so there's no quality to his work" etc).

Thanks. Email sent.

- Steve

• User profile image
    Tensor

I have a friend who used to work in HR but is better now. He worked for a large multinational, and any job advertised would generate literaly hundreds of responses. The first round of filtering was much as you suggest, Ian.

Badly formatted CVs, overly long CVs, CVs that arrived 10 minutes after the deadline - all were not considered, because the shear volume meant you had to start filtering somewhere before you even started reading the damn things.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tensor wrote:
    I have a friend who used to work in HR but is better now. He worked for a large multinational, and any job advertised would generate literaly hundreds of responses. The first round of filtering was much as you suggest, Ian.

Badly formatted CVs, overly long CVs, CVs that arrived 10 minutes after the deadline - all were not considered, because the shear volume meant you had to start filtering somewhere before you even started reading the damn things.

Do companies accept PDF or XHTML CVs over *.doc or printed paper thesedays?

• User profile image
    andokai

W3bbo wrote:

I doubt there's a difinitive answer to that question.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

andokai wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: Do companies accept PDF or XHTML CVs over *.doc or printed paper thesedays?

I doubt there's a difinitive answer to that question.

The best format for Micrsosoft is Word or plain text resumes, as they ultimately get converted into play text once they make their way into the resume system anyways.

I'll tell you, the video position was one of the ones I nearly considered. Too bad it requires moving. Having done filming, editing, interviewing, makeup, sound and lighting for a number of national television shows for a year. Plus, the fun of meeting more Softies would be great.

Sadly, I'm very, very happy both in my current gig and in my current locale.

Ah well, maybe in 5 years Wink

Best of luck to the other applicants Smiley

• User profile image
    Tensor

W3bbo wrote:
    Tensor wrote: I have a friend who used to work in HR but is better now. He worked for a large multinational, and any job advertised would generate literaly hundreds of responses. The first round of filtering was much as you suggest, Ian.

Word, or printed. If the target audience has to spend 5 minutes trying to open the file, they wont open the file.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jeremy W. wrote:
    The best format for Micrsosoft is Word or plain text resumes, as they ultimately get converted into play text once they make their way into the resume system anyways.

Maybe they'd be uber-impressed if I wrote my CV in XAML with a 3D interface Wink

Complete with RSS feed, naturally Smiley

• User profile image
    billh

jonathanh wrote:
    You must use your Force only for Good, young billh....

...unless they really p*ss you off... then you can lock 'em

I'd lock 'em all. [6] They are like animals!

I can imagine it now (using a mod color of course!):

Beer28: You wanna buy a Linux laptop?
    BillH (using mind trick): You don't want to sell me a Linux laptop.
    Beer28: I don't want to sell you a Linux laptop.
    BillH: You want to go home and rethink your life.
    Beer28: I want to go home and rethink my life.

Besides, I don't know ASP like Jeff is requesting. So, considering the slush pile of resumes you'd have to go through, mine wouldn't even make the first cut.

[C]

Edit: Although, I really haven't turned my debugging skills towards the code on this site. So I suppose once I learned ASP and looked at the code I could probably make it so it runs twice as fast and takes up half the memory.

• User profile image
    s_jetha

billh wrote:
    jonathanh wrote:You must use your Force only for Good, young billh....

...unless they really p*ss you off... then you can lock 'em

I'd lock 'em all. They are like animals!

I can imagine it now (using a mod color of course!):

Beer28: You wanna buy a Linux laptop?
    BillH (using mind trick): You don't want to sell me a Linux laptop.
    Beer28: I don't want to sell you a Linux laptop.
    BillH: You want to go home and rethink your life.
    Beer28: I want to go home and rethink my life.

Besides, I don't know ASP like Jeff is requesting. So, considering the slush pile of resumes you'd have to go through, mine wouldn't even make the first cut.

Edit: Although, I really haven't turned my debugging skills towards the code on this site. So I suppose once I learned ASP and looked at the code I could probably make it so it runs twice as fast and takes up half the memory.

Don't you mean make it run infinitely fast and take up infinitely less space...?
    Cos everything can be done in infinite time Wink

• User profile image
    billh

I think the bigger question is...if you're hiring, who is leaving?

:O

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I don't think anyone is leaving.  If I recall correctly, covering the PDC and producing C9 video that week wore out the entire C9 crew.  It sounds like they could use extra people.

I hope that they consider adding a stenocaptioner to their crew as well to produce transcripts and text captioning.

• User profile image
    Charles

Steve411 wrote:

ps. (Didn't charles post the last "We're hiring" thread?)
    -Steve

Yes. I was also NOT the hiring manager then Smiley

Keep in mind that I may not be the hiring manager but I WILL be conducting interviews (the technical ones)... Either way, I'll end up reading your resumes...

C

• User profile image
    jeffsand

billh wrote:
    I think the bigger question is...if you're hiring, who is leaving?

Hey Bill,

Beth has retired from Microsoft so we're looking for someone to fill her capable shoes.   In addition to this position our team is growing in size to handle a few additional projects like the Gadgets site.

-Jeff

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

jeffsand wrote:
    In addition to this position our team is growing in size to handle a few additional projects like the Gadgets site.

You're doing that as well?

Good Smiley

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I dont know if I could work at Microsoft.  They may dislike my views and tendencies.  But, can I work with Windows 2000 should I go to work for MS?

• User profile image
    Steve411

rjdohnert wrote:
    I dont know if I could work at Microsoft.  They may dislike my views and tendencies.  But, can I work with Windows 2000 should I go to work for MS?

My views would be completely opposite of those present at the moment. But that's what makes it "good", right? Innovative and creative people who look at things from a different point of view.

• User profile image
    Nata1

I think they're looking for a Scoble helper monkey who can code... so I sent them my resume Smiley

chasing all the search teams down with a camcorder would be a pretty nifty job

hey - other than virtual earth, I don't think we've seen any search teams!  There's so many to choose from, but I imagine they won't interview until they evolve a bit further

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.