Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google Maps called Taiwan a Chinese Province???

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    j0217995

Interesting story here http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2005/10/04/2003274363

Wonder how much trouble that person got in.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=taiwan&hl=en

Thoughts?

• User profile image
    Tensor

If you were Google - who would you rather keep happy - the government of Taiwan, or the government of China?

• User profile image
    billh

I always thought China was a province of Taiwan. I mean, the original government was chased out of there in the 1950's (and went to "Formosa").

You know, Saddam Hussein once had a map where Kuwait was considered a province of "Iraq" and then of course there's the ol' famous Hitler globe which showed a giant swastika on it.

I'm sure it will get changed on Google maps soon...unless of course, they want to do business in China, which then means then...well, "This is the Internet According to China".

I wonder if they will eventually mess with the size ratios of the countries?

• User profile image
    Mr_Bing

It may be worth noting that Taiwan has yet to officially declare independence.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Taiwan is technically still part of the Republic of China (ROC) but is not part of the People's Republic of China (PRC), aka the Communist regime that governs the mainland.

• User profile image
    Karim

Google maps defines country borders based on popularity rankings of the map search results. 

There are more people in China, so eventually China will be whatever the Chinese say it is.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

It was probably Kai Fu that did that.

• User profile image
    Rossj

You think that's bad, I can't even find Tibet. At least (even if I can't search for it) it is labelled on VirtualEarth.

• User profile image
    Maurits

I think both Taiwan and China agree that Taiwan is a province of China.  They just disagree on where the capital of China is. Wink

As to Tibet... hmm... maybe Tibet has been rendered Unplottable by the monks? Perplexed

• User profile image
    rhm

Taiwan regards itself as province of Chinese Taipei, which you can think of as 'Greater China'. That is how Google should refer to it - it is recognised as such by the UN. Chinese Taipei is basically what you would have if the communist revolution hadn't happened on the mainland. Sportsmen from Taiwan (ok, I can only think of pool players which isn't really a sport, but bear with me) list their country as Chinese Taipei.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rhm wrote:
    Taiwan regards itself as province of Chinese Taipei, which you can think of as 'Greater China'. That is how Google should refer to it - it is recognised as such by the UN. Chinese Taipei is basically what you would have if the communist revolution hadn't happened on the mainland. Sportsmen from Taiwan (ok, I can only think of pool players which isn't really a sport, but bear with me) list their country as Chinese Taipei.

When I was at the International School in Manila, there was some swimming gala going on with both Chinese and Taiwanese participants, we had both the Taiwanese and Chinese flags flying, but about half-way through the event the Chinese embassy phoned up the school and demanded that we take down the Taiwanese flag.

...they did, but I don't know why, its not as though China was going to start bombing an American ally now, is it? Wink

• User profile image
    Eric Falsken

The truth of the matter is that the people of Taiwan claim they are not governed by China. And the chinese aren't willing to force them, and would rather try to scare everyone else into telling the Taiwanese that they aren't. Personally I think the Chinese government is just too damn proud to admit that when they chased out the former regime, they didn't follow through. If they didn't finish the job, then Taiwan is a seperate country. It dosn't matter if the Taiwanese gov't lost "most" of it's land. It didn't lose it all, and they're still there.

So it's a seperate country. Now if only China would grow up and admit it, Tongue Out or else put their money where their mouth is. Wink

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Obligatory Raymond Chen reference:
    Why isn't my time zone highlighted on the world map?

Being a huge multinational sometimes has its problems.

• User profile image
    footballism

j0217995 wrote:

Google Maps called Taiwan a Chinese Province???

Dude, what's the problem with that?

Sheva

• User profile image
    W3bbo

footballism wrote:
    j0217995 wrote:

Because it seems most people (not organisations) recognise Taiwan as being independent from PROC, not forgetting the island is fully self-sufficient and self-governing, as well as being democratic (hence why the US pledged to defend it from any PROC offfensive a while ago)

So whilst "on paper" Taiwan /may/ be a province of PROC, in practice it is its own country.

• User profile image
    leighsword

JChung2006 wrote:
    Taiwan is technically still part of the Republic of China (ROC) but is not part of the People's Republic of China (PRC), aka the Communist regime that governs the mainland.

in my option, we are both Chinese(the Greater China and Chinese Cultrue), but not belong the same government, just like Korea.

According to the logic from the stupid government, the Asia belongs them. in Chinese hisotry, Mongolia(includes most of east Russia) belongs China(the government), we still got the Inner Mongolia as a municipality, and the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) established by the Mongolian.
    Korea , Japan, Iran(Persian,波斯) and Turkey(Turki,突厥) belongs China, we conquered them as a vassal(蕃) in Tang Dynasty(618-907).
    East South Asia belongs China , we conquered them as a wild tribe(蛮) in the Three Kingdoms(221-263).
    Hungary and German belongs China, we call them as Hun(匈奴) in Han Dynasty(B.C.206).
    then what about China Town around the world?oh my god, what do they think?

• User profile image
    footballism

leighsword wrote:
    JChung2006 wrote:Taiwan is technically still part of the Republic of China (ROC) but is not part of the People's Republic of China (PRC), aka the Communist regime that governs the mainland.

in my option, we are both Chinese(the Greater China and Chinese Cultrue), but not belong the same government, just like Korea.

According to the logic from the stupid government, the Asia belongs them. in Chinese hisotry, Mongolia(includes most of east Russia) belongs China(the government), we still got the Inner Mongolia as a municipality, and the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) established by the Mongolian.
    Korea , Japan, Iran(Persian,波斯) and Turkey(Turki,突厥) belongs China, we conquered them as a vassal(蕃) in Tang Dynasty(618-907).
    East South Asia belongs China , we conquered them as a wild tribe(蛮) in the Three Kingdoms(221-263).
    Hungary and German belongs China, we call them as Hun(匈奴) in Han Dynasty(B.C.206).
    then what about China Town around the world?oh my god, what do they think?

WTF are you talking about?
    I don't get your point, and your statement is quite misleading, I cannot imagine that you a Chinese will make such a statement, do you really understand the history of China? what kind of philosophy you apply when learning history, metaphysics, materialism or idealism? please elaborate.

Sheva

• User profile image
    footballism

W3bbo wrote:
    footballism wrote:
    j0217995 wrote:

Because it seems most people (not organisations) recognise Taiwan as being independent from PROC, not forgetting the island is fully self-sufficient and self-governing, as well as being democratic (hence why the US pledged to defend it from any PROC offfensive a while ago)

So whilst "on paper" Taiwan /may/ be a province of PROC, in practice it is its own country.

Make no mistake about it, Taiwan is self governed, it has its own military, he has his own political system which is allegedly democratic, but I want to tell you that we Chinese don't have the same tradition of democracy as our western counterparts, Taiwanese are still Chinese, do you think that they can nurture democratic principle and democractic idea overnight?

Sheva

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.