Coffeehouse Thread

96 posts

Reality Check

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Cairo

So far so good.

My small list of nits:

1. FreeTextBox is intermittently dysfunctional in firefox (flash of content followed by blank box when quoting/editing).
    2. The scrolling bar of "who's online" is a little annoying. I'd love to be able to turn it off.
    Thanks for working to improve this place!

• Manip

Cairo wrote:
    The scrolling bar of "who's online" is a little annoying. I'd love to be able to turn it off. Thanks for working to improve this place!

Motion seconded. And I would like to add that loading all those avatars increases total page loading times!

• thepuffin

Charles wrote:
    How are we doing? What's wrong? What's right?

Speak up. Speak out.

C
    Be nice if the plain textbox you get when you post from Opera (and Firefox sometimes) was able to parse UBB and HTML and line breaks properly. Hint: this post was properly formatted before I sent it.

• Yggdrasil

The FreeTextBox is annoying, even on plain vanilla IE6. It waits until all icons - emoticons and toolbars - are loaded efore it lets you type which sometimes takes a minute on slow wireless connections. And the actual typing is slow too, with a slight lag that's just plain annoying.

But of course, I wouldn't want to go back to plain text editing. And I don't know if you've got the possibility, not to mention the time and energy - to delve deep into the FTB code and fix/rewrite the annoying bits. But if you're bored...

• Yggdrasil

Oh, and to give some positive feedback too:

Adding the new moderators was a great move. JonathanH's presence is felt - not too trigger-happy, not too politically correct. The place doesn't feel like a dumping ground for trolls anymore. Smiley

• MasterPi

It would be nice if more MS employees engaged in topics rather than just the same 6 or 7.

Other than that, everything's fine.

The scrolling bar at the top is kind of annoying. A cool dropdown would be better.

• Steve411

mVPstar wrote:

It would be nice if more MS employees engaged in topics rather than just the same 6 or 7.

Other than that, everything's fine.

The scrolling bar at the top is kind of annoying. A cool dropdown would be better.

Unless Adam somehow made the drop down look cool! But yeah I agree it's annoying and completely worthless.

- Steve

• Nata1

I think its time to upgrade to Community Server 1.2 (we can get the build if we ask) -

Some things like tagging would be somewhat tough, the video forum section would be challenging but we could pull it off

A very cool feature would be an intelligent search agent - by coupling a couple search engines together with RSS, notify people on a subscription basis whenever something 'cool' that they are interested in is being blogged about...

Like 'Windows CE' lets say I want to know what people are saying - under the profile page on C9, let people sign up for a couple search agents - and every day send an email report - or better yet - email notification that brings them back to channel 9

And Ajax used on the profile spinner thingy at the top

And the Search needs to be overhauled - again, Upgrading to CS 1.2 would be great.

We could migrate parts of the site to CS 1.2 such as the forum first -

That's just a start - don't want to write a novel - Channel9 is pretty solid - and there's definitely lots of cool features possible as other systems/tech evolves.

Should be on .net 2.0 also

• AdamKinney

littleguru wrote:

I'm missing a little bit the total of how much guests are on the page and how much people are logged in...

Otherwise: GREAT!

You can still view that here which is exposed via the page icon next to the "3,000,000 online" in the sitebar

Stitch 2.0 wrote:

Now, having said that, a "Mark all posts read" link would be great!

Interesting idea.

Red5 wrote:
    Optimizing the PocketPC experience would be most wonderful. 

I agree, this is an issue that has come up before (JKelley, myself, and now more in this thread).

Cairo wrote:
    So far so good.

My small list of nits:
    1. FreeTextBox is intermittently dysfunctional in firefox (flash of content followed by blank box when quoting/editing).
    2. The scrolling bar of "who's online" is a little annoying. I'd love to be able to turn it off.
    Thanks for working to improve this place!

I just started using TinyMCE for my blog and have been pretty happy with it.  Its very simple to use but has a lot of functionality.  I need to check browser compatibility next.

Yes, the scrolling bar will at the least become a switch in your profile.

Nata1 wrote:

I think its time to upgrade to Community Server 1.2 (we can get the build if we ask) -

Should be on .net 2.0 also

Yes, we've got dialog going on between us and the Telligent guys about our current situation.  More on that as it develops.  If you keep an eye out for the next version of MicrosoftGadgets.com, you'll get a preview of where we're going.

• eagle

Audio files, lets get our voice on C9!

• Charles

Great feedback. Please keep it coming.

C

• Cairo

TinyMCE looks pretty good!

• amotif

Forum feature:

There appears to be no way to go directly to the first unread reply in a post. Sure, the thread icon is dimmed if I've read it all, but it doesn't give me an option to start reading the new posts on a thread. I'm left to open the updated thread--guessing which page I last read if it's a multi-pager--and scroll around to see where I left off reading last time.

A means to get to the first unread post in a thread particularly from the forum "Threads" page would be quite convenient. It certainly is convenient on another forum I visit.

• Eric Falsken

Less "How do I do x in y" and more interesting stuff. For all those "programming questions" point them to the MS newsgroups, or the new Microsoft Forums (which are awesome).

• Nata1

Charles wrote:

Great feedback. Please keep it coming.

C

offer a plethora of video and audio formats -

The easiest way is to write JScript.net code to automate Vegas.  Actually all that is needed is JScript wrapper over C# (cause you can't use C# in Vegas .net scripting)

the trick is to programatically create projects, add your source file (what do you guys have, DV?) - and then iterate through a set of render templates - programatically name things and publish to your ftp, and then programatically update the CS post (I mean forum II post)

Vegas is a little tricky, but with .NET, its actually quite fun - a C9 render farm would be pretty neat - have .mov, .wmv, .mpg, and a couple resolutions - and maybe even audio? real?

What would be super neat would be to have super high rez, huge video files - all on a channel9 DVD(s)

• reedracer

Manip wrote:
    Cairo wrote: The scrolling bar of "who's online" is a little annoying. I'd love to be able to turn it off. Thanks for working to improve this place!

Motion seconded. And I would like to add that loading all those avatars increases total page loading times!

Yes, it is truly neat to have, but to have it reload on every page is a bit much.

• Nata1

and while your at it, if you guys can take over GotDotNet, that would be great Tongue Out

GotDotNet seriously sucks, but its an incredible concept - imagine how cool it would be if they upgrade to Team System, get community server messageboards, galleries, and blogs for projects

It would be great to see C9 create something like a sourceforge... but with source control that works with VS (I know there are some convoluted workarounds but they aren't dependable or fast enough)

C9 is a great developer community, it would be great to see it create lots of smaller developer communities as well.

• reedracer

amotif wrote:
    Forum feature:

There appears to be no way to go directly to the first unread reply in a post. Sure, the thread icon is dimmed if I've read it all, but it doesn't give me an option to start reading the new posts on a thread. I'm left to open the updated thread--guessing which page I last read if it's a multi-pager--and scroll around to see where I left off reading last time.

A means to get to the first unread post in a thread particularly from the forum "Threads" page would be quite convenient. It certainly is convenient on another forum I visit.

This would be totally outrageous!!

Another PITA in my book is when I get to the bottom of a 22 comment thread, I have to scroll back to the top to get to a nav bar so I can go to the root of a forum to read another thread.

How about some bottom navigation, and a read next unread type of function?  I'd even settle for one of those navbars that follow you around.

I love Channel 9 and wish there was an MS site for SysAdmns that was similar1

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.