Coffeehouse Thread

96 posts

Reality Check

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • jmacdonagh

AdamKinney wrote:

Answer to 2)  That because you're subscribed to "What we're watching", which is a selection of posts we bubble up to the front page.  They don't have to just be videos.

Video RSS link

That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the placement of the XML icon. On the main page all we see are the videos that have bubbled up. Given that, shouldn't the XML icon next to that only aggregate the videos?

• AdamKinney

Actually any threads that we are watching do show up on the front.  We just haven't been watching anything besides videos lately.  There was a XAML screencast up there a little bit ago.

• Tonatiúh

I miss some more collaboration capabilities at the Sandbox... Just for playing all Niners along with our developing projects.

Well... I need to tell this: Charles, if you would like me as for writing some of the T-SQL stored procedures needed (if it happens to be so) for implementing such an enhancement of the Sandbox, I am willingly on trying to develop it as a voluntary collaboration... In addition, I want to make my self clear in that, though I have dreamt long years working for a Company as Microsoft is, certainly I am not pursuing in any way to deserve a position there... Just because I know me not been capable as for enduring one of such an stress, as that you are under with almost 24/7.

Tonatiúh

• moofish

Sometimes in videos the programmers say well we would like to include many more suggested features but we just cant, it would be good to know what they are and have C9 viewers vote on them, or have a submission section for features and pic the 10 best to vote one.

I still dont think C9 ties in with .Net Passport well enough, I'd like to read threads through messenger when I logged in or something.

I dont like the C9 emoticons

I think users should be allowed to upload PNG's for thier avatars

I think the pictures section should be afforded more attention, after a vieo it would be nice to get some still Screen Captures from the team after so users can view them

• DuNuNuBatman

Email notification of thread replies...
    This will be my only post on the matter as I will inevitably loose track of this thread and forget about it Wink

• MasterPi

DuNuNuBatman wrote:

This will be my only post on the matter as I will inevitably loose track of this thread and forget about it

Email isn't needed.  We have RSS feeds.

• Harlequin

When viewing forums like the Video and ScreenCast forums, for example, I'd like to see the dates. Seems more important that Replies and Views.

• DuNuNuBatman

mVPstar wrote:
    DuNuNuBatman wrote:

This will be my only post on the matter as I will inevitably loose track of this thread and forget about it

Email isn't needed.  We have RSS feeds.

Yea, but I don't want to create a rss feed for each topic that I am a part of. That getts really messy really fast.

• rjdohnert

Better Opera Browser support. Thats the biggest complaint I have heard and have. Opera doesnt give you the same controls that Firefox and IE give you such as advanced editing, adding smilies etc Smiley What are you doing right, Moderators are good. better content and longer videos are a plus. Chasing off the riff-raff helped alot. Channel9 is a great resource and a great community, keep it up guys.

• Larry​Osterman

AdamKinney wrote:
    Actually any threads that we are watching do show up on the front.  We just haven't been watching anything besides videos lately.  There was a XAML screencast up there a little bit ago.

Fixed Smiley

• Fonze

as jmacdonagh has said, you should make it easier for people to subscribe to the media content on this site, such as the videos and podcasts. I use a podcast agregator to download all videos and podcasts as they come in. I expect to only have the latest videos or podcasts download with one of these apps, the default behavior of your xml links in the media section sort by activity and not by release date.

The most recent video or podcast should be at the top of the feed, followed by the second newest, etc.

to get arround this I played with the feed link and figured out how to make it sort by release date. As a user, I shouldn't have to do that. That should either be the default behavior, because it is a very popular feature, or give me a visual choice on the page to get the xml feed sorted by release date.

btw, for anyone that is interested

Channel 9 Videos: sorted by release date

Channel 9 Podcasts: sorted by release date

• Minh

AdamKinney wrote:
    Can we each have a watched feed?

• Shark_M

allow us to send you qestions before you inteview anyone so these questions get asked to the experts

• WinInsider

Scoble, for my own sanity (and sanity of others), no video avalanche Big Smile  – for next few weeks, please.  I am still viewing ones from PDC.

More videos with developers!  After so many videos one can get the impression that only PMs are developing software at Microsoft.  We had few videos with PM and few developers in a room, but PM always monopolized the discussion.  Have few developers (and only developers) from a team that worked on a part of a product discuss challenges, features, and benefits to users, etc...  Maybe give them some topic areas few days in advance.

Charles, you are onto something, on few video you asked questions along... what makes good language, what makes good code, your interviews tend to gravitate towards architectural discussions.  Your deep dives series is the most insightful videos.  Keep asking questions along the lines of “elegant code”, code level architecture, and good design patterns.  Keep MC++ discussions going, hang around Visual C++ team.

The following maybe already in place, in Bill Gates’ video C9ers did put forward some questions, if I am not mistaken.  How about allowing C9ers to put forward questions for upcoming interviews.  Ofcouse you guys decide which questions get asked.  Sometimes you get several minutes with some of the greatest minds in the company and you would like to ask some insightful question, but the interview ends prematurely because there are no more questions to ask.  The list of questions would provide a healthy pool of good question to draw from when you get precious minutes with someone that actually wrote the software or is an architect on the project.

Last but not least, screencasts also very good, keep them coming (no more then 10/15 minutes in length).

Mike

• Tyler Brown

reedracer wrote:
    Another PITA in my book is when I get to the bottom of a 22 comment thread, I have to scroll back to the top to get to a nav bar so I can go to the root of a forum to read another thread.

How about some bottom navigation, and a read next unread type of function?  I'd even settle for one of those navbars that follow you around.
    I find that the Home button on my keyboard works quite well to jump up to the top of the page. Alternatively, the Backspace key works well for going back to the previous page. Although I rarely use either on Channel 9 as I open up all windows in tabs, keeping my mouse hovered over the close tab button, and use the Page Up/Page Down keys to scroll.

• jonathanh

Yggdrasil wrote:
    Adding the new moderators was a great move. JonathanH's presence is felt - not too trigger-happy, not too politically correct.
    That's the nicest thing anyone's said about me all day Smiley

• nektar

Add a real-time interactive chat room in which users and MS emploies can talk. This would be much better than the current forum style way of communication. It will be more like face to face and MS emploies can really exchange ideas with users with less efford. This might increase the participation from emploies who could then have the chat room open on their screen whenever they feel like it and answer casually to comments from that users that interest them, while doing other work as well. Also, an online chat room will allow us users to talk more freely and perhaps will even lessen the need for moderation in the forums.
    In addition a good idea would be more integration with MSN Messenger. Like for the users that have provided their Passport in the prophile, we could click a link which will open an instant message window with them. This idea can be extented to group chats as well. So, image that we could choose a number of users and create a chat real-time group on MSN Messenger or on the site, in which we can talk.
    Finally, we certainly need more MS emploies to participate in the discussion on this site. After all, this site is to exchange ideas and not only to watch lovely videos.

• nektar

I agree with the suggestions of previous users that:
    1. The search facility is awful. I can never find anything. And when I say anything I mean anything. It is useless. I use Google for searching the site. However, even with Google it is sometimes difficult to find old videos.
    2. Gotdotnet is a very good idea however it is badly implemented. Gotdotnet needs to become as popular as Channel9. Gotdotnet should not only be concernated on .NET development. But its sample galery and workspace facilities need to get more visibility. Perhaps integrate them with Channel9. It is really a shame that Gotdotnet has been around for so long and no real improvements have been made to it and no big effords to get more users interested in the site. Perhaps the Channel9 and Gotdotnet teams should get together.
    Thanks.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.