Coffeehouse Thread

96 posts

Reality Check

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Charles

nektar wrote:

I agree with the suggestions of previous users that:
    1. The search facility is awful. I can never find anything. And when I say anything I mean anything. It is useless. I use Google for searching the site. However, even with Google it is sometimes difficult to find old videos.
    2. Gotdotnet is a very good idea however it is badly implemented. Gotdotnet needs to become as popular as Channel9. Gotdotnet should not only be concernated on .NET development. But its sample galery and workspace facilities need to get more visibility. Perhaps integrate them with Channel9. It is really a shame that Gotdotnet has been around for so long and no real improvements have been made to it and no big effords to get more users interested in the site. Perhaps the Channel9 and Gotdotnet teams should get together.
    Thanks.

All of our videos are tagged. You should be able to find what you are looking for using this facility.

Yes, the search mechanism leaves a lot to be desired. It's the default CommunityServer implmentation, but an old version...

Thanks for the feedback!

C

• Charles

Minh wrote:
    AdamKinney wrote: Actually any threads that we are watching do show up on the front.  We just haven't been watching anything besides videos lately.  There was a XAML screencast up there a little bit ago.
    Can we each have a watched feed?

Yes. This was present in the old site and will come back. So, you can still watch threads, but we've not provided a way for you to easily find them. This was a mistake in the new design. We'll fix that.

C

• Bark at the moon

Alerts for new videos, podcasts, screencasts and photos in MSN messenger, I'd like that.

And more podcasts. While my time for the videos is limited (however much I love them), I have enough time for podcasts. I wish Technet Radio would up there output but failing that (and liking the free format of C9) podcasts are nice. Or maybe even mp3/wma version of videos that are not too visual (like the Bill and Steve ones, but others with some visual stuff as well).

And of course: more companies besides Microsoft doing the C9 thing. Channel9.company.com should become a standard. But that is out of the hands of the team.

C9 cool? C9 is 0 Kelvin Big Smile

• johnbrien

HOW ABOUT SOME FREE SOFTWARE FROM MICROSOFT

• codeDebate

Video Script Please Big Smile

• Dr Herbie

Can I add my vote for properly threading the forums?  It kind of puts me off when I want to replay to a message, but I know that my reply will appear several messages below it and seem out of context.

Other than that its all good.

Dr Herbie

• KenIII

Love the tagging system.

Only thing for me, on a lot of the videos you will zoom in as someone shows you code on their screen.  A lot of times this is hard to see because of the angle or lighting.  I don't know if there is anything you can do about it (like a mix of video and screencast).  Only thing that has jumped out for me. 

Love the site though, keep up the great work. Smiley

• j0217995

Its great but some place for systems admins or something to come together and chat.  Maybe a Channel10 or something. 
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the odd man out being a systems admin, but I enjoy learning cool new stuff and most of the converstations here.

• Novan

I agreee with most of the other people here. I have only been playing with Channel 9 for about 2 months. So far I have found everything interesting and informative. Keep it up[H]

• Nata1

nektar wrote:

I agree with the suggestions of previous users that:
    1. The search facility is awful. I can never find anything. And when I say anything I mean anything. It is useless. I use Google for searching the site. However, even with Google it is sometimes difficult to find old videos.
    2. Gotdotnet is a very good idea however it is badly implemented. Gotdotnet needs to become as popular as Channel9. Gotdotnet should not only be concernated on .NET development. But its sample galery and workspace facilities need to get more visibility. Perhaps integrate them with Channel9. It is really a shame that Gotdotnet has been around for so long and no real improvements have been made to it and no big effords to get more users interested in the site. Perhaps the Channel9 and Gotdotnet teams should get together.
    Thanks.

That's the spirit - now what would be really cool would be giving users the option to use the C9 search engine, or MSN Search... or some appliances - that would be super awesome when gaging which search is the best.  When I did that (I allowed the engine to be switched by setting an attribute in the aspx/ascx page where the server control lived between Index Server, Google, and Nata) the biggest thing was that not all engines support the same elements - like Google and Nata have categories but Index server doesn't.  But with just your basic search results UI - Hit Title, Hit Uri, Hit Page blurb, and a relevancy icon, we could easily switch between lots of engines.  Scoble would have a field day with that one.

I like the spirit on the GotDotNet problem - I think that if a Microsoft sponsored community is sucking then either Telligents or C9 should just take over.

• dentaku

The scrolling bar of user icons at the top of the page is annoying. Every time I pass over it is starts moving. It's distracting.

• billh

Charles wrote:
    How are we doing? What's wrong? What's right?

Speak up. Speak out.

C

There is some functionality loss in the profile section, as probably addressed by others.  Plus, I still can make your search engine hiccup without a lot of effort.  For instance type "C++ code" in the search box...it kicks back an "unknown error".  I'm figuring it is probably the "++" which is doing it.  Not good. I haven't tried other symbols, though. Maybe it tries to interpret the first plus sign as an "AND" operator and then sort of chokes.

Then again, I really haven't tried to make an all-out effort to try and find bugs in your site/search engine. Do you want me too? :O

Be careful what you ask my creator for.  The list might be quite extensive and my creator doesn't even have much security training. [6]

I also think you should hire my creator.  My creator's pretty sharp in multiple areas and tends to see the "big picture" a lot better than most developers, and heck, most managers.  In fact, my creator is currently witnessing a massive "global intranet redesign" project unfold like a slow-motion train wreck.  We are talking about 20,000 web pages worth of a wreck.  Of course, there is a deadline involved and guess who gets to clean up the mess! Even though my creator warned several people higher up about many of these issues months ago (and asked several questions to try and save time down the road), the project manager plowed ahead, not realizing the consequences or the implications.  Such is life, I guess, and some insist on learning the hard way. Mad

But hey, my creator just rows da boat, eh?

• Nata1

billh wrote:
    Charles wrote: How are we doing? What's wrong? What's right?

Speak up. Speak out.

C

But hey, my creator just rows da boat, eh?

I didn't know god was in the software business too...

• billh

Nata1 wrote:
    I didn't know god was in the software business too...

Well, maybe not God, as in "the big guy", "the guy upstairs", or some kind of weird George Burns/John Denver thing.

Bill, this is your creator.  You should try to not be so sarcastic and harsh with people.

:O

I mean, uh...I don't know.  I never thought about it that way.  [A]

I suppose there is some sort of abstract class kind of concept to this.  Kind of like inheritance in C++.  With some loss of functionality and POWER.

Although my creator puts up with a lot of crap, and if I was in his shoes, I'd...

Careful, I'll smite thee.

Channel 9 is the greatest! [C]

• cissmjg

How's about more focused (permanent) forums like :

- Multithreaded programming under .NET

- CLR Performance Tricks/Tips

etc.

• SlackmasterK

I grant you this is an unlikely turn of events but some of us would love to see it:  Use AVI format with DivX and MP3 compression for videos.  This yields superior quality at lower size.  I generally use 1000 kbps video and 192kbps audio. It compresses to about half a gig per hour. DivX is available free and legally at www.divx.com .

The only reason I can fathom for not doing this is that DivX is actually derived from a hacked version of Cinepak.  DivX is obviously not a MSFT product, but Cinepak is - or so I believe.

• Charles

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Can I add my vote for properly threading the forums?  It kind of puts me off when I want to replay to a message, but I know that my reply will appear several messages below it and seem out of context.

Other than that its all good.

Dr Herbie

This is what the Quote facility is for Smiley

C

• Maurits

billh wrote:
    For instance type "C++ code" in the search box...it kicks back an "unknown error".  I'm figuring it is probably the "++" which is doing it.

Heh, I've actually run into this problem on search engines I've made. Smiley

It's not the ++, it's the C... "C" is a noise word by default so it's not included in the full-text catalogs.  Doing a full-text search with any phrase that contain only noise words will result in an error.

My solution was to take "C" and "IT" out of the noise word files, and rebuild the catalogs.  It probably results in a lot more false positives, but for some reason people are happier with false positives that can be easily explained ("There's the word 'it' right there, see?") than they are with "unknown error" or "Please enter a search that contains a non-noise word."

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.