Coffeehouse Thread

96 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Reality Check

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Red5

SlackmasterK wrote:
    I grant you this is an unlikely turn of events but some of us would love to see it:  Use AVI format with DivX and MP3 compression for videos.  This yields superior quality at lower size.  I generally use 1000 kbps video and 192kbps audio. It compresses to about half a gig per hour. DivX is available free and legally at www.divx.com .

The only reason I can fathom for not doing this is that DivX is actually derived from a hacked version of Cinepak.  DivX is obviously not a MSFT product, but Cinepak is - or so I believe.

But I can't watch DIVX on my PocketPC...or can I?

• User profile image
    waltal

Channel 9 is a great thing.

That said, content is a time-sensitive thing.  But there seems to be a prejudice against showing dates and times here.

When did Joe post his rant on WSE-whatever?  I dunno.

When did Robert post that great interview of Steve?  I dunno.

How old is Chris' invitation to introduce yourself to the Channel 9 crowd?  I dunno.  Did anyone actually look at it in the last month.  I dunno.

Tags are nice, and so are timelines.  Add that extra dimension and call it a 4D website!  We'll all feel better-informed

Wow!  I conquered Starbucks and found the edit button!  Woohoo!

• User profile image
    waltal

Damn, I need more coffee!  Then I could get even more hyper about nothing.

I'm looking at the site and forgetting that more date info has already been exposed...the real lack is only in the index pages at this point.  My apologies!

How about a way to go back and edit or delete your own posts?  That would be great, like right now!

And how about a dummy button?  Like one that explains how to do things when the operator (me) can't "get it".  The forum sort options are kindof puzzling, some days.  We developers are required to provide something so we can send folks the dreaded "RTFM" message.  Isn't that software 101?  Or just too much coffee talking...

• User profile image
    Nata1

SlackmasterK wrote:
    I grant you this is an unlikely turn of events but some of us would love to see it:  Use AVI format with DivX and MP3 compression for videos.  This yields superior quality at lower size.  I generally use 1000 kbps video and 192kbps audio. It compresses to about half a gig per hour. DivX is available free and legally at www.divx.com .

The only reason I can fathom for not doing this is that DivX is actually derived from a hacked version of Cinepak.  DivX is obviously not a MSFT product, but Cinepak is - or so I believe.

Don't say Cinepak ever never again! Tongue Out

I love the DivX idea - if we had an automated render farm this would be feasible - Vegas works good, and is much cheaper than using boxes like Flip Factory - plus writing the automation code and gui in .Net is fun+powerful

• User profile image
    billh

Maurits wrote:
    It's not the ++, it's the C... "C" is a noise word by default so it's not included in the full-text catalogs.  Doing a full-text search with any phrase that contain only noise words will result in an error.

My solution was to take "C" and "IT" out of the noise word files, and rebuild the catalogs.  It probably results in a lot more false positives, but for some reason people are happier with false positives that can be easily explained ("There's the word 'it' right there, see?") than they are with "unknown error" or "Please enter a search that contains a non-noise word."

Hmmm. Beginning reverse engineering of Channel 9.

Click.  Whirrrrr.....

More testing yields...

Breaks the search engine:

a++ code
    charles++ code
    c+ + code
    c + + code
    c + code

Works in the search engine (zero or more results):

charlesfixthis++ code
    c-- code
    c+ code

• User profile image
    Maurits

billh wrote:

Breaks the search engine:

a++ code
    charles++ code
    c+ + code
    c + + code
    c + code

Works in the search engine (zero or more results):

charlesfixthis++ code
    c-- code
    c+ code

Interesting... not a noise word issue, then...

FWIW:

works (possibly no results:)
    c++c

errors
    c + hello
    hello + hello
    hello++ hello
    hello++hello

• User profile image
    Harlequin

waltal wrote:
    How about a way to go back and edit or delete your own posts?  That would be great, like right now!

I don't like post editing in a forum, let alone being able to delete your own post. Going back and changing what you just said? Bad etiquette. You type, you post, you're done. Cool

• User profile image
    mawcc

Ask MSDN UK if you can include their excellent collection of webcasts(http://www.microsoft.com/uk/msdn/events/nuggets.aspx).

• User profile image
    dnrfan

The video picture quality seems to have improved.
    Scoble's interviewing has improved.
    Scoble's 'mad scientist's laugh' seems to have subsided. Perplexed
    Some of the people being interviewed seem to have been smoking pot, as they go "Ummmm errrr, ummm errrrr" a lot.
    New forum design is much better.  Love the way the videos are handled.
    Haven't seen the 'Going Deep' series for a while.  Maybe I'm blind Wink
    A lot of the videos are of people piss farting around in the hall way.  Let's not waste time and bandwidth, hey?

• User profile image
    Charles

dnrfan wrote:

Scoble's 'mad scientist's laugh' seems to have subsided.
    Some of the people being interviewed seem to have been smoking pot, as they go "Ummmm errrr, ummm errrrr" a lot.
    New forum design is much better.  Love the way the videos are handled.
    Haven't seen the 'Going Deep' series for a while.  Maybe I'm blind
    A lot of the videos are of people piss farting around in the hall way.  Let's not waste time and bandwidth, hey?

Going Deep will return. Stay tuned for Vista Internals.
    C

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Charles wrote:
    Going Deep will return. Stay tuned for Vista Internals.C

:O

• User profile image
    The J

I'd like to see better Opera compatibility as well. All we get here is a text box to type in while other browsers can properly format posts (We can't even do line breaks!). Maybe there's a temporary solution: put a setting in profiles that says, basically, "I don't care if it might not work in Opera--load it anyway!" though I don't know how easy this would be to implement. I'm using Opera 8.5 if that matters. Also, telling Opera to identify itself as IE or Mozilla does nothing (it still say Opera8.50 in the User Agent heading no matter what setting is used).

• User profile image
    LCARS

I second the Opera compatibility! Also, how about a script to automagically add a download button for all videos or some such? Maybe rearrange the start page to make it clear what the latest threads and videos and such are (less cluttered). Kill the Niners Online bar (Besides, half the time it shows me logged in even when im not! I log off one night, go to the site in the morning and it shows me logged in) And finially, is there some kind of legend anywhere explaining what the icons on the threads mean?

• User profile image
    staceyw

Spell checker.  Cut and past VS code and have formatting (indents) stay.

Outside the box ideas:
    - Optional Word applet for editing replies.
    - Smart Client.
    - Maybe an Outlook addin or something. Msg threads.

Nice work!
    --
    WJS

• User profile image
    BryanF

Ok. I guess I'll add my laundry list...

Content-wise, I've been really pleased. With the PDC05 series in particular, you guys did a wonderful job producing stuff that was not only technically interesting but had engaging speakers. There were some exceptions of course; for instance the inking guy seemed a little out of it, but I'll just assume it's because he was tired from working so damn hard. Wink Also, I'd like to see more about how Microsoft itself works. One of the things that made C9 so interesting when it started was getting a sense of how decisions were made and how the software was actually produced. I'd love to learn more about Vista's revamped development process for instance.

In terms of the interface, here are the top things on my mind:

Automatic duplicate post deletion. If two sequential posts have identical contents and were posted within a minute of each other, it's probably a duping error. Such post should be filtered out by the forum engine so we have less "duplicate post deleted" posts.

*Please* no threaded forums. I could give you a long drawn out argument, but the bottom line is that they "chunk" conversations and make them tedious to read. Osnews.com recently introduced threaded forums and it's a pain; conversations get pushed to the right of the screen and people tend to be more likely to dwell on piddling points. Quoting is sufficent IMHO.

Consider a maximum cap on image sizes. When someone posts a large image, it widens the entire page, such that navigating or reading requires horizonal scrolling back and forth, which is a pain. Ideally, large images should be thumbnailed with a link to the full-sized picture.

Consider using text instead of ">>" and "<<". This is a real minor issue, but it'd be a nice touch up. The problem I have with <</>> is that they can be hard to hit with a touchpad or stylus or even with a mouse sometimes. Particularly when navigation reads ">> ... Last >>", I can't tell you how many times I've missed the first >> and went to the last page instead. Having text similar to how MSN search works would be great. Instead the navigation could read "First ... Previous 5 6 7 Next ... Last" or something along those lines.

Those are really the big things on my mind. Hopefully they're not too b!tchy/pedantic. I'd like to emphasis that been following C9 for a while (mostly as a lurker, I confess) and I've been real impressed. Thanks a lot. Smiley

• User profile image
    Tonatiúh

May we have a mean for choosing how many results should a Search delivery?

Tonatiúh

• User profile image
    Petrus Canisius

Hi!

I found a new book by AW about "The Build Master" from Vincent Maraia and I thought about seeing a video about the real build process in (for example) the office division for version 12 or the vista division.

Great side, great ideas!

Peter

• User profile image
    Nata1

dnrfan wrote:

Scoble's 'mad scientist's laugh' seems to have subsided.

Yeah - its hilarious when Scoble cracks up - but to keep it refined - that's the key - so when your daydreaming/sleeping at work, and you hear the mad scientist laugh, you know to rewind.  Before, you just didn't know if it was worth it or not (to rewind)
    dnrfan wrote:

Some of the people being interviewed seem to have been smoking pot,

Only way to get them to chill out from the Espresso machine abuse.  Then we get to see what they 'really' are thinking about.

dnrfan wrote:

gross!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.