Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google Reader

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Here at Web 2.0 in San Francisco Google Labs just announced a new blog and news reader called Google Reader. Looks great, be the first kid on your block to try it!

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Yeah, saw that a couple hours ago.

Looks very nice, except for all the errors I'm getting in IE.

• User profile image
    NetRyder

From the looks of it, I'm one of the (too) many kids on the block trying it out right now. Tongue Out

I got a glimpse of the UI and it seems to have potential, but it's pretty much unuseable at this point. Needs some serious performance tweaking. Two whole minutes and my OPML file still hasn't been imported yet. I'm just sticking to NewsGator Online for now. There's no fancy AJAX stuff in NGO, but it's hell of a lot more useable.

I'll wait for Google to resolve the performance issues before I even consider looking at the features and other stuff. Disappointing release, if you ask me, but I'm willing to give it another shot when it gets better.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

holy omg, booting up my laptop now to get my OPML file, jesus christ dude thank you thank you thank you.

you have made my day.

my title serves me well.

edit: ehh shes a little slowww and laggy

NetRyder wrote:
    I'll wait for Google to resolve the performance issues before I even consider looking at the features and other stuff. Disappointing release, if you ask me, but I'm willing to give it another shot when it gets better.

my thoughts exactly

• User profile image
    CplCarrot

Tried it and no thanks.
    I have 65 feeds in my list and the UI has no grouping features. Combined with the big blocks each feed takes up on the left hand pane means that there is no apparent way of seeing what is new in the list if it is not in sight. The only feature of note was the search and staring features but that is hardly new.
    The whole thing seems to be a "me to" job to keep up with the blog wave.

Charlie

• User profile image
    Karim

Google ♥ RSS.  <rolleyes>

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

and here i was thinking that this would bring some serious competition to newsgator and bloglines.

what they are showing off now is horrible. it doesn't work for me AT ALL, and the one time i got it to work it was slow as bullocks.

• User profile image
    Karim

So you're saying it's another Gmail, only suckier?  LOL

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

don't mock gmail. i love the interface, conversations feature is the best thing on gods greatest earth.

i give it a few months but this isn't even in alpha quality.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Just as a question....

Eagle do you work for Google? I notice everytime they have something out your one of the first ones to mention it.

Not attacking...just asking.

• User profile image
    LCARS

Wow, yet another toy from google!

I like a lot of the things they do *hugs his gmail account*... but somewhere I heard they are teaming up with Sun and want to make an online version of Open Office or some such. That I am not too crazy about at all. I haven't bothered to research it so I dunno if its true but still, I think some apps should be kept local.

I'll try out Google Reader when they fix most of the bugs!

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

this is perfect too because google now can have a central store of rss feeds that gets fed into a database (cough sun cough) which is now fully searchable.

• User profile image
    joshnuss

They're missing a link to "add RSS to my subscriptions", when you do a regular google search, and the results contain RSS feeds.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.