Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Best blog hosting?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Cybermagell​an

Ok I know everyone kinda gets tired of hearing from everyone "Blog, Blog!, Blog!" but I have a few friends at work that want to start blogging but because they (As well as I) believe in being able to talk about anything and the power of the Internet don't want to use our own assets to blog...

That being said I like alot of different blog sites for alot of different reasons, however what would you recommend to someone for hosting a blog (Hosting your own is outa the question). I can think of a few off the top of my head...who am I missing?

AOL Journals
    MSN Spaces
    Yahoo! 360
    Live Journal
    Blogger
    Wallop

And maybe also why you are recommending them?

• footballism

How about Adam creates a blogging system for us on Channel9?

Sheva

• Yggdrasil

I have my blog up on http://weblogs.asp.net for two reasons:

1) It's a high-traffic .NET-oriented blog site, meaning I get lots of visits from the aggregated feed.
    2) It runs .TEXT, which supports threaded comments directly in the RSS feed - I don't have to open the entry in my browser to read the comments. I hate having to do so with other people's blogs, so I don't want to force others to do so for me. Got pretty much the same rich-text-editor we have here on C9 too, so it's homey. Smiley

I also have a LiveJournal account, for purely non-technical needs. I must admit their engine is getting richer and richer, with tagging, memories and full API support so you get excellent smart clients to write in (Semagic is my client of choice). The only problem is that a technical blog on LiveJournal will not receive proper attention, since LJ's main focus has always been social interaction, and clicking on the "Get Random LJ" button will still get you, 50% of the time, a 14 year-old angst-ridden teenage girl.

• Michael Griffiths

Typepad.

• fergbrain

Wordpress

• W3bbo

fergbrain wrote:
    Wordpress

Wordpress is an engine, not a hosting provider.

• Tyler Brown

Wordpress.

And by that I mean, get a hosting provider that provides the Wordpress engine. I use it for my blog and I absolutely love it. Although I host my blog on my own hardware...

• Jackco

I would say blogger.com Big Smile

• reedracer

W3bbo wrote:
    fergbrain wrote: Wordpress

Actually...
    http://wordpress.com/

Not sure how hard it is to get an invite.

• AdamKinney

footballism wrote:
    How about Adam creates a blogging system for us on Channel9?

Sheva

Hah, there's definitely an advantage to being a developer with webspace.  I've rewritten my blog engine enough times, though.  I'm starting to focus on the other side - aggregation.

• JChung2006

What would really be neat is if C9 could host blogs! *hint hint*

Edit:  Oops, what footballism said!

• Jeremy W

W3bbo wrote:
    fergbrain wrote: Wordpress

It's both.

Wordpress is an engine. Wordpress Multi User is a hosted solution for Wordpress 1.6 alpha (not stable yet). Wordpress.com is running WPMU.

And, yes, my recommendation would be to go with a hosted WP solution. It should provide you greater features, greater flexibility and greater portability should you want to move the blog later.

Getting an invite is pretty easy. Just ask one of the dev guys Smiley

• W3bbo

Jeremy W. wrote:
    greater flexibility and greater portability should you want to move the blog later.

...how, exactly?

Your blog would be stored on another database that you don't have access to, so how is it easier to move your blog posts from a shared database to your own website?

Ignoring RSS Export/Input, of course, since virtually all blogging engines can do that now.

• Custard555

I use http://www.squarespace.com/ and i think they are grate!Big Smile

• Jeremy W

W3bbo wrote:
    Jeremy W. wrote: greater flexibility and greater portability should you want to move the blog later.

...how, exactly?

Your blog would be stored on another database that you don't have access to, so how is it easier to move your blog posts from a shared database to your own website?

Ignoring RSS Export/Input, of course, since virtually all blogging engines can do that now.

Flexibility: in themes, in full access to the presentational code, in the ability to add your own themes, in full access to all of the Options panes of Wordpress.

The deal with WPMU is it gives folks the full power of WP, without having to host it themselves. So everything that makes WP better than any other hosted app is present in WPMU. Done.

In terms of portability, WP will import/export to any service. I have no idea what you mean by "RSS Import/Export", in terms of moving the site to another service, however WP is part of every major standards project out there from FeedMesh to the new OPML work being done to the new syndication work being done. Going with WPMU or Wordpress.com gives you the benefits of all of that, as opposed to just a massive XML file (if you're lucky) from the other services.

Again, with any WPMU-based system, you could literally do a WP backup, then a WP restore and you'd be set. Your theme would come, your posts / comments / authors would come and you'd be set. If you wanted to move to another service, you can pull your theme code and images down through WP, export your posts / comments / categories / authors and be set.

Many other services allow some of this, but the strength of WPMU is that it's WP, just abstracted out so that each blog is its own unique environment. You don't lose any of the features in the transition.

It makes Typepad et al look like crap.

As I said before, though, if you're looking for a more social app, then an WPMU-based host won't be the best way to go. Yahoo 360 or Spaces or whatnot will likely be better.

• DoomBringer

You forgot:
    Xanga (crap)
    and LiveJournal (almost crap)

• W3bbo

DoomBringer wrote:
    You forgot:
    Xanga (crap)
    and LiveJournal (almost crap)

Not forgetting MySpace and Sitespaces.

• rjdohnert

Yahoo 360, at least I can use foul language there

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.