Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Playing Flight Simulator from the "10 foot view"?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    z33driver

I just picked up a new apartment, and I am thinking about getting one of those new 50" Dell Plasma's and wall mounting it.  What I'd like to do is run a Media Center PC connected to it.  I'm not sure what kind of resolution the plasma's get, but I started thinking and I was wondering how it is for playing Flight Simulator?  Is it a really awesome experience or is it not so great?

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

the resolution is 1366 x 768

• User profile image
    rhm

What is up with manufacturers of plasma displays? HD specs have been available for years and yet they still make displays with weird resolutions. Most 42" plasmas still have too few pixels for 720p and the 50" has too many (better, but still not ideal).

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

MS Flight Simulator used to be good, but is now seriously outclassed by its competitors. Check out IL2 Sturmovik.

• User profile image
    z33driver

Seriously outclassed by its competitors?  At least Flight Simulator actually works.  I sold IL-2 on ebay after I couldn't get it to work, it is buggy as all heck and crashed to desktop repeatedly.

I'm interested in if anyone has actually tried playing Flight Sim on one of these big screens while sitting on their couch.  What is the experience like?

• User profile image
    Manip

How is IL2 Sturmovik even remotely like Flight Sim? What flight sim does is offer a super-realistic simulation, the challenge is not to crash and kill people...  IL2 Sturmovik looks like a very poor World War II fighter game ....

I don't own the latest Flight Sim game but only because the new planes they added I think kinda suck so I'm sticking with the very solid 2000 edition.

Oh and Train Simulator also rocks... I'd love to see a more UK-centric version of that.

• User profile image
    z33driver

I also just noticed that Dell is offering $400 instant savings on their 42" plasma, so for $2k I am seriously tempted to just get one of those instead of waiting for some unknown period of time for the 50" which will cost I think around $3800.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

When I was stationed in Afghanistan we hooked up a PS2 to our Viewsonic projector and played GTA about 10 foot wide (Loved the tank cheat code). It was pretty cool and it helped alot instead of just looking at a TV and having to crowd around 5 other soldiers to see what was going on.

A flight sim...I really can't say for sure sorry.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    MS Flight Simulator used to be good, but is now seriously outclassed by its competitors. Check out IL2 Sturmovik.

IL2 isn't the same class of game at all as Flight Sim. Do you have air traffic control in IL2? Real landscapes, cities, airports and planes? IL2 is a combat sim. Flight Sim is a huge, awesome flying sim.

I have a number of friends who are real pilots / ATC's and they use Flight Sim to get themselves acquainted with new equipment before beginning training on it (generally to find out if they like the plane first).

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Manip wrote:
    Oh and Train Simulator also rocks... I'd love to see a more UK-centric version of that.
    It's a shame they cancelled TS 2 and never explained why in the flight simulator video topic.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

jonathanh wrote:
    When MSR Cambridge moved to a new building a few years back, we got a nice auditorium with a couple of kick-(I need to watch my language) monster projection screens. This was also when the XBox had just been released in the US, but wasn't out yet in the UK. And it just so happened that I had a trip to Redmond planned, with some room in my carry-on luggage on the flight back...You can see what's coming next, right?You got it, one of the first games of Halo ever played in the UK, in glorious 20-foot tall color Gave the sound system a good workout, too!

We did something similar at work the week Xbox came out. Sound system wasn't as good as the Halo Room at the MS Museum in Redmond though;)

• User profile image
    jonathanh

When MSR Cambridge moved to a new building a few years back, we got a nice auditorium with a couple of kick-(I need to watch my language) monster projection screens. This was also when the XBox had just been released in the US, but wasn't out yet in the UK. And it just so happened that I had a trip to Redmond planned, with some room in my carry-on luggage on the flight back...

You can see what's coming next, right?You got it, one of the first games of Halo ever played in the UK, in glorious 20-foot tall color Smiley Gave the sound system a good workout, too!

PS: The Flight Simulator team seems to have started blogging in a big way - 1, 2, 3, 4.

• User profile image
    z33driver

Do you think that Flight Simulator would be fun to play with a Media Center wireless keyboard and a wireless joystick while sitting on a couch, with a 45" AQUOS?  I'm thinking about getting one, it runs at 1920x1080.  Would FS2004 be playable from 10 feet away on one of these?

• User profile image
    rhm

z33driver wrote:

Do you think that Flight Simulator would be fun to play with a Media Center wireless keyboard and a wireless joystick while sitting on a couch, with a 45" AQUOS?  I'm thinking about getting one, it runs at 1920x1080.  Would FS2004 be playable from 10 feet away on one of these?

You have too much money.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Jeremy W. wrote:
    Do you have air traffic control in IL2?

Yes
    Jeremy W. wrote:
    Real landscapes

Yes
    Jeremy W. wrote:
    cities

Yes
    Jeremy W. wrote:
    airports

Yes
    Jeremy W. wrote:
    and planes

Yes

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

To be honest, this looks more like a bragging thread than one that poses a real question. Not that theres anything wrong with that Wink Anyways, how could playing Flight Simulator on a 42" screen while sitting on your couch not be fun?

• User profile image
    Karim

Just as a heads up... many plasma displays are subject to "burn-in," that is, if you leave a bright, static image on the display for a long period of time, it can be permanently etched into the display (kind of like a CRT...)

Would suck if you played FS for hours and then popped in a movie, and you could still see the FS instrument panel on the bottom half of your screen Tongue Out

LCDs are better for gaming; even though they don't have as high a response rate, they don't have burn-in issues.  If you are going to use your plasma for gaming, make sure you have broken it in properly by playing moving video on it (not static images).

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.