25 posts

RSS Reader

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rake

what's a good and free rss reader?

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

I used SharpReader, which was good but memory usage was excessive. Switched to RSSBandit, which isn't bad, though occasionally sluggish.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

RSS Bandit is great imho.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Feed Demon is so good I bought it. That says a lot if you know me Wink

• User profile image
    MurphyB2005

DevilsRejection wrote:
    Feed Demon is so good I bought it. That says a lot if you know me

Well, we don't know you.

• User profile image
    gtox

you could use a webbased reader, such as start.com or netvibes.com, i love 'm Smiley

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Sven Groot wrote:
    RSS Bandit is great imho.

ditto

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

MurphyB2005 wrote:
    DevilsRejection wrote:Feed Demon is so good I bought it. That says a lot if you know me

Well, we don't know you.

Tongue Out :O [C]

• User profile image
    Ziadnb

try the latest google labs product, it looks ok, fast, and web based.
    if you did not find the link in google site then try this. 

reader.google.com

Enjoy! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Ziadnb wrote:
    try the latest google labs product, it looks ok, fast, and web based.

I checked it out today, and I must say I was seriously underwhelmed.
    The interface was very annoying - I have several dozen feeds in my OPML list and they were all dumped into one big unnavigable list. Too few of them shown on-screen at once, too much AJAX "we have keyboard shortcuts!" hype. No support for feed comments.

Bah.

• User profile image
    MurphyB2005

gtox wrote:
    you could use a webbased reader, such as start.com or netvibes.com, i love 'm

Netvibes is awesome IMHO. The refresh features are great and customization is not overwhelming. You can access your feeds from any computer with Internet access. A few bugs but it's still in its beta.

• User profile image
    craigvn

Try www.feedisgood.com. Brand new so may have some issues but generally pretty good. Solves the issue most readers have that once you have many (> 100) feeds subscribed to, it takes too long to read them all, instead allowing you to browse all unread feeds very quickly.

• User profile image
    mertsakarya

Check this...
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/drssreader

I am currently subscribed to 32 feeds. Some feeds contains more than 1000 items, many contains more than 500 items.
    When examine it under Task Manager, it consumes 50Megs of RAM.

It is pretty fast though.

Also support for OPML files and RSS, RDF and ATOM. And archiving capabilities...

The thing is I wrote it in Delphi 7 Wink  and looking for some support.

Mert

• User profile image
    jonathanh

I started out with SharpReader (too slow), experimented with NewsGator for a bit (that interface... ugh...), and ended up buying FeedDemon. Excellent product, keeps on getting better. I'm a bit leery about what the future will hold now that it's owned by NewsGator, but I figure if all else fails I can switch to RSS Bandit. Especially because now it supports FeedDemon "newspaper" styles Smiley

• User profile image
    leighsword
  • User profile image
    IanD

Watch out a big plug!

I have written an RSS reader for Windows Media Center so you can browse feeds from the 10 foot interface.
    I wrote it for myself to be able to check out feeds like C9 and Scoble using the remote from the sofa (I am too lazy to get up and look at the PC)

There is a free demo version here
    Oh and it's all written in managed code (vb.net and some c#)

Ian
    The Windows Media Center Show

• User profile image
    vandil

Thunderbird has great RSS support, and the 1.5 beta is even better.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

you know i installed the latest thunderbird beta, i don't see what exactly is so good about it...

tell me what you think is so good about it.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.