Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

RSS Reader

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

vandil wrote:
    Nothing that you won't get with FeedDemon. And FeedDemon looks better, too.

As far as the reasons I use it, it does everything I need in a client, is free, and doesn't use much memory.

I use FeedDemon too (and the next release is looking like it's going to have even more really good features) but it is NOT free (although there is a limited time evaluation version): http://www.bradsoft.com/download/index.asp 

• User profile image
    vandil

Nothing that you won't get with FeedDemon. And FeedDemon looks better, too.

As far as the reasons I use Thunderbird, it does everything I need in a client, is free, and doesn't use much memory. Also, since I'm using Thunderbird as my email client, I don't need to have a separate program for it.

• User profile image
    vandil

Sorry, I was a bit unclear in my post there. I use Thunderbird, which is free. I was responding to DevilsRejection, who posted earlier that he uses FeedDemon, and was asking me why I use Thunderbird. I edited the post to make it more clear.

• User profile image
    Sabot

harumscarum wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: RSS Bandit is great imho.

ditto

The Bandit is the dude!

Now what is a decent RSS reader for a PDA???

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Sabot wrote:
    harumscarum wrote: Sven Groot wrote: RSS Bandit is great imho.dittoThe Bandit is the dude!Now what is a decent RSS reader for a PDA???
    needs more windows presentaion foundation everywhere. member the keynote with the kick (I need to watch my language) netflix site. some should start building an rss reader with those same technologies.speaking about pdas, will there be another version of windows mobile out before vista?

• User profile image
    cyanbane

Online:
    http://www.netvibes.com  (Clean slick interface, I use it as my home page)

Offline:
    http://www.onfolio.com  (Great for organization, research)

Does anyone else thing Google Reader blows UI wise?  The Ajaxian swiftness of it is neat, but I read over 300 feeds, and man it just is a mess to try to navigate. (and I am a big fan of Gmail)

• User profile image
    bonk

Rake wrote:
    what's a good and free rss reader?

I have been comparing all the rss aggregators floating around lately and I have come to the conclusion that Newsgator in conjunctions with Newsgator's latest Feedemon is the best rss solution I can currently get. At least for my needs , wich might be somewhat ... exaggerated. This is basically what I wanted:

I wanted to read my feeds on 3-5 diffreent PCs and 1 Mobile Device (with Windows Mobile OS). On 2 of the PC I would be able to install a newsreader on the other ones I won't. So wanted to be able to do the following:
    1. Read the Feeds in a offline newsreader app on the machines where I will be able to install it.
    2. Read the Feeds via the Webinterface on the machines where I can not install a newsreader.
    3. Organizse my Feeds on both. That means:
      • When I mark an item as read in the newsreader app, they shall be marked as read in the webinterface (server) as well (and vice versa).
      • When add, delete or rename folders or feeds in the newsreader app, the webinterface (server) should get updated (and vice versa) too.
    4. Read the Feeds on my mobile device (minimized traffic and minimized UI) and synchronize the unread/read state also when reading on my mobile.
    5. The offline reader app must be as comfortable and featurerich as possibe.
    6. The webinterfaces for pc and mobile device and the reader app must be capable of handling a large amount of feeds (400+) so I can :
      • organize my feeds by adding (sub)subfolders
      • get a list of all new entries of all feeds in a folder when clicking the folder
      • easily read and skim through a large amount of new entries
      • add a srearch feed for my feeds, so I ge a new feed based on a search string for eample: "all new entries in folder 'Microsoft bloggers' that contain the word 'Vista' and 'Buena'"
    It seems that Newsgator with Feedemon can satisfy all my wishes. I think if you want to snychronize your feeds across different machines and still have a good reading experience - that newsgator thingy is pretty cool.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.