Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Widespread Keyboard Destruction

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    billh

    Recent true conversation I (er, uh, my Creator), had with a co-worker when helping her figure out how to do tables in Word:

    Bill: What happened to your keyboard? Where did the those keys go? [points to the missing Scroll Lock and Num Lock keys]

    Her: They're in my desk here.

    Bill: Did they fall off? Or did they blow off the keyboard because you were typing so fast?

    Her: I took them off.  I keep hitting them all the time when I type.  The IT guy downstairs says people do that all the time.

    Okay, that is a first for me.  I've never seen people deliberately pry off certain keys so they don't hit them when they type.  Apparently this practice is "widespread". 

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Not in my case.

    Some of you may remember the time I cleaned my keyboard.

    I lost my "End" key, as a result, I felt "naked" for the week or so it took for me to find the missing key.

    I don't think I could live without any of my keys.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    I don't have a problem with scroll lock and num lock, but I tend to hit the key that's next to backspace once every while. On regular keyboard that's insert, on my keyboard (MS keyboard with the alternate function key block) it's home.

    I also quite often hit enter when I mean to hit the apostrophe. Especially annoying in messenger.

  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

    A couple of years ago, I used to pry out the Windows keys - they kept getting in the way when I wanted to press Alt. I did get used to them, though.

    Of course, then there's my big keyboard. which doesn't have too many keys anyway.

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    I've had users pry off all of the keys on their keyboard and individually hand clean them.

  • User profile image
    RandyRants

    Caps lock was the first thing to go on all of my keyboards.  First day, *POP* and off it went.  That's typically the only key I hit by mistake...

    These days I just remap it to a Shift key so I have a much larger Left Shift key, but still: the key is useless.

  • User profile image
    vandil

    I know plenty of gamers who remove the windows key so that they don't hit it in the middle of a fight, switch to their desktops, then frantically switch back in time to see themselves die.

  • User profile image
    Andrei P

    I could live without the numpad. The only use I found for the numpad currently is hitting it with the fist in times of anger.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    keyboards? How very son century! in.

  • User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

    I never remove keys, but I think one of them is lost... I don't seem to be able to find my Any key... Sad

  • User profile image
    dentaku

    I wouldn't mind having a keyboard with the numpad on the left.
    I never use it other than to use the ALT-0233... etc. combinations to type é or è.

    Otherwise it's just in way of my mouse.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    dentaku wrote:
    I wouldn't mind having a keyboard with the numpad on the left.
    I never use it other than to use the ALT-0233... etc. combinations to type é or è..


    That's what Alt-Gr is for Wink

    Alt-Gr + E = é
    Alt-Gr + A = á
    Alt-Gr + 4 = €
    Alt-Gr + U = ú

  • User profile image
    Karim

    billh wrote:
    Her: I took them off.  I keep hitting them all the time when I type.  The IT guy downstairs says people do that all the time.


    For some reason I am picturing a woman with four-inch long fingernails, each nail exquisitely painted in colors not normally found in nature and festooned with sparkles and tiny rhinestones.  (Hence the ability to hit the Scroll Lock key when she is in fact reaching for Backspace.)

    And chewing six pieces of Juicy Fruit as she talks.

    Close?

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    W3bbo wrote:
    dentaku wrote: I wouldn't mind having a keyboard with the numpad on the left.
    I never use it other than to use the ALT-0233... etc. combinations to type é or è..


    That's what Alt-Gr is for

    Alt-Gr + E = é
    Alt-Gr + A = á
    Alt-Gr + 4 = €
    Alt-Gr + U = ú

    Depends on your keyboard layout. Not all layouts even have an Alt Gr. And on mine Alt Gr + 5 = €, not Alt Gr + 4.

    Plus I can make é by typing 'e. To actually get the output 'e I need to do '<space>e. Same goes for most other characters like that, from õ to ç to û to ë.

    My layout is the US International layout.

  • User profile image
    BlackTigerX

    billh wrote:
    Recent true conversation I (er, uh, my Creator)...

    hillarious

  • User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

    I have a keyboard where letters with accents such as é, è, à, ç, ù, ... have their own keys!  Also, € is Alt Gr + E, makes sense doesn't it? Smiley

  • User profile image
    billh

    Karim wrote:
    billh wrote: Her: I took them off.  I keep hitting them all the time when I type.  The IT guy downstairs says people do that all the time.



    For some reason I am picturing a woman with four-inch long fingernails, each nail exquisitely painted in colors not normally found in nature and festooned with sparkles and tiny rhinestones.  (Hence the ability to hit the Scroll Lock key when she is in fact reaching for Backspace.)

    And chewing six pieces of Juicy Fruit as she talks.

    Close?



    Nope...short, unpainted nails.  But she does get a great deal of work done as a call rep--sometimes the work of two people it seems, so I my Creator didn't argue.  She is left handed, though, and has her mouse buttons reversed, too, so every time you say to "right-click" on something it tends to confuse her, until you remember "her buttons are swapped".  When she isn't taking calls, she reads, to the tune of several romance novels a week.  She claims to remember them all, too. 

    She is friendly, doesn't gossip, is awed by technology, and is too young for Charles.  She talksamileaminute, cooks, takes care of her kids, and yes, she's married.

    I my Creator shall continue researching this curious "keyboard phenomenon" tomorrow.  Perhaps the long nailed, rhinstone studded, "I'm going to asphixiate half the floor because I like to use hairspray on the job" sales reps (95% women) down the floor do this. 

  • User profile image
    kriskdf

    vandil wrote:
    I know plenty of gamers who remove the windows key so that they don't hit it in the middle of a fight, switch to their desktops, then frantically switch back in time to see themselves die.


    This was the first key to go when I got a new machine with Windows 95 on it and keyboard with the windows key.  Doom2 was almost impossible with that newfangled key in the way.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.