Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Secure IM

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    armbrat

Can anyone suggest a secure IM client?  One that's encrypted?

• User profile image
    Manip

Define secure.... Secure from whom?

Have you tried this?

• User profile image
    armbrat

Encrypted over the wire (ie, secure from eavesdroppers)

• User profile image
    armbrat

French.about.com?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

armbrat wrote:

AIM supports encrypting, but I don't trust it.

There are various Jabber implementations, as well as Secure IRC.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

hamachi

it is used to created a very simple password protected vpn and yes the connections are encrypter. built in is an IM client, so both of you install it, one of you make a server and the other one connects to the server, then you use the built in IM features and you are golden.

it is also very nice to network two computers nicely and protected.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Hmm... there's two levels of encryption.

Client-to-Server

The server knows what you said, but traffic between you and the server is encrypted.  Google Talk and many other Jabber implementations support this.  AIM supports this.

Client-to-Client

You and your buddies swap public keys, and messages are encrypted to the recipient.  The server just relays messages, but cannot snoop.

Some Jabber clients support this too, like Psi (it uses GPG for the encryption layer)

EDIT: W3bbo scooped me Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

armbrat wrote:

As I said, from who? Your boss? Your wife? The US government? The little devil that sits on your shoulder and whispers things in your ear?

• User profile image
    databyte

Try Trillian.  It's also multi-client and can access AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc.  But it only supports encryption on the networks that allow it or from trillian-to-trillian.

There are also a few other suggestions here:
    http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=530866

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

databyte wrote:
    Try Trillian.  It's also multi-client and can access AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc

Watch with that though because AIM just blocked the TOC 1.0 protocol so anyone using that will be dropped. MSN and Yahoo! I can imagine MSN may do the same thing to try to control the viri and such that float around on it and Yahoo! may not though because of honestly being such a small userbase they don't need to modify the protocol as often.

Just a few words of wisdom

• User profile image
    ST

Hello,

armbrat wrote:
    Can anyone suggest a secure IM client?  One that's encrypted?

You can try Brosix www.brosix.com. It is a corporate instant messenger built with security in mind. It encrypts all the traffic and whenever possible  establishes direct connection between you and the buddy you want to excahnge files, video, voice etc.

Brosix.com offers you to build your own Instant Messaging network. But if you don't need an IM network, then you can use their free public network www.brosix.net This is the free version of the corporate messenger, with all of its features, but it is running on a separate network opened for everyone.

Best regards,
    ST

• User profile image
    ironichi

I've used SimpLite http://www.secway.fr/us/products/simplite_msn/home.php with much ease and success.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Secure IRC is crap, unless you mean SILC, which just looks like IRC. But there are no real graphical clients for it.

If you want secure IM, get your peers and you to use Pidgin with the Off-the-Record plugin.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

You can set GMail to use SSL, and then use their chat thing.

• User profile image
    msemack

Isn't Skype encrypted?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

msemack said:

Isn't Skype encrypted?

Yes, it protects from casual eavesdropping and I imagine is secure from MITM too, but they let nation's police forces tap into their comms, so they've either got a backdoor or the encryption is only to their switchboard servers and not end-to-end.

• User profile image
    intelman

I'd try Skype or Pidgin's Off The Record plugin.

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.