Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

RSS vs. ATOM?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So I decided that I was going to begin a blog on blogger VERY similar to Mini-Microsoft and one of the first post was bringing out a new feature however I noticed one thing...

In trying to demonstrate the feature, I realized that my.msn.com doesn't recognize ATOM? Only RSS, why is that?

Prehaps someone can explain this?

• User profile image
    Steve411

Yes. Lazy coders, not enough interest in the service, the coders werent' payed enough to want to integrate ATOM functionality. Bill Gates don't care.

Pick one.
    - Steve

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

I don't know about my.msn.com, but I do know ATOM feeds are supported by Start.com and the RSS Platform for Vista supports ATOM feeds as well.  So the support is coming, ATOM just finalized at the end of the summer.

• User profile image
    matt0210

Microsoft has commited itself to RSS only. Why is a good question. General consensus favours Atom as a more versatile and superior format. But I've never seen an istance where Atom was required...

• User profile image
    mw5300

To tell you the truth, I have never seen a reason to use atom over rss. I have heard allot of people make vague comments on how atom is better, but never any proof or examples. Also, one time I wanted to make a web program that generates feeds. So I went to the rss site and saw a sample document and the spec right there. The I went to the Atom site and couldn't find any simple way to learn how to use it. RSS is better because it is simply, it works, and it can be extended. I don't see any reason for MS to use Atom over RSS.

• User profile image
    eagle

Atom 1.0 draft: draft-ietf-atompub-format-11.txt

HTML: draft-ietf-atompub-format-11.html

Relax NG: atom.rnc

(These files will be updated when the RFC is published)

More Information

Follow Atompub WG activities: The Atom Wiki

Follow The Atom Publishing Protocol at Bitworking

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Steve411 wrote:
    Yes. Lazy coders, not enough interest in the service, the coders werent' payed enough to want to integrate ATOM functionality. Bill Gates don't care.

Pick one.
    A quick search shows that MyMSN used to support Atom 0.3.

But as Adam said, Atom reached 1.0 a couple months ago, and iirc the Atom folks are being pretty hardcore about getting 0.3 feeds shut down - to the extent that their validators now reject any 0.3 feed, for example.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.