32 posts

Video iPod, going to get one?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

The new iPod, who on C9 will buy one?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Man that looks like a beast...my daughter owns something similar...

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Probably not me.

I have an iMate Jasjar, a Media Center PC, and a 1Gb SD card. Who needs anything else?!

• User profile image
    rhm

I'd like one (would like a Nano too), but I refuse to buy them while they use Apple proprietary DRM. I mean DRM is bad enough, but when it's a format that only one company supports - that's a kind of lock-in I'm not happy with. If they supported WMA I'd be there like a shot.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rhm wrote:
    If they supported WMA I'd be there like a shot.

What if it were Microsoft's preferred implementation of WMA that involves subscription-tethered downloads? Wink

• User profile image
    eagle

Well, guess what iPod doesn't get WMA, so when are we going to get a cool gadgit that gets WMA?

My Pocket PC gets WMA, but nobody talks about Pocket PC's anymore....

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    My Pocket PC gets WMA, but nobody talks about Pocket PC's anymore....

Which is a shame, because PocketPCs with multimedia-cards can store up to a gigabyte initially, then add another gigabyte for only £35.

Apple's first-generation iPod held 5GB and cost around $599.

You can get a decent PocketPC and enough hot-swappable sticks to give you at least 5 times that capacity for the same price nowadays.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Me: "Hey, look - iTunes is selling commercial-free episodes of Desparate Housewives for two dollars."

Her: "OO, really? Buy the pilot!"

That didn't take long.

• User profile image
    eddwo

Not going to be getting a Video iPod anytime soon, I just got a 2Gb Black Nano 3 1/2 weeks ago. (Though to see all the scratches you'd think it wasat least as old as my Rio Karma I've had for 18 months)

The rest of the annoucement.
       iMac, Oh they do still make computer then, speed bump, shrink.
       Built in video camera is kinda cool. Can see internet cafes having rows and rows of them installed.

Front Row, Apple's answer to MCE, without the TV recording capability. Looks nice enough, the remote is a bit small, but you can only get it on a new iMac G5? How about selling a remote control/software upgrade bundle?

Video iPod, sounds like the processor is only capable of decoding 320x240 30fps H.264. Not exactly the HD devices people were expecting. It will look OK on the device itself but terrible when attached to a big TV. The PSP is much more capable.

I don't believe there is yet a chip to do HD H.264 decoding that is low power/cheap enough to be put in a mass market portable device, it still requires some serious processing power.

TV shows to download. Nice idea, bit pricey compared to DVD box set of a series considering the poor quality. Cheap enough for a one off purchase to catch up on a missed episode. There don't seem to be any available on the UK ITMS, the only new videos are the Pixar shorts.

iTunes6, they only just fixed the bugs in 5, and what new features are there to deserve a full version number release? Most of it seems to be ITMS stuff, (gifting, recommendations, reviews etc) which is all implemented on the server side.

Lots of hype, but hardly significant technically.

MS should probably give up on WMp-PMC though, not going to see many sales now.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Beer28 wrote:

Is this really a contest. The PSP isn't that much bigger. Anybody that buys an eyepod over the PSP is foolish.

No, I think Sony will lose. The PSP is great for teens, but I see the College ager's and greated (maybe even in High school) going for the iPod. Girls don't clamor over PSPs the way they do with iPods. And, besides, Apple is far more cool than Sony, in their eyes.

For the rest of us, cool stopped being important when we turned 18.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

not me... I was thrown out of the Apple store for not being hip enough.  Because they blatantly market to the hipster crowd.  I'm not a trend, uhm, trend-lady-of-the-night

• User profile image
    BuckyBit

nope. i thought steve jobs is on the edge of loosing the momentum. i was dissapointed about this video-ipod announcement. it was expected and is useless without content. now that questions will be answered by someone else - not by apple.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

BuckyBit wrote:
    nope. i thought steve jobs is on the edge of loosing the momentum. i was dissapointed about this video-ipod announcement. it was expected and is useless without content. now that questions will be answered by someone else - not by apple.

Aren't they providing content?

• User profile image
    eagle

Jobs_rocketboom

Finally! As pretty much everyone predicted, the Video iPod is here. I know the rest of the blogosphere has already commented on this, but I think it's pretty exciting in spite of the long slow buildup to this moment. Now I actually want one. I don't think it's going to have quite the revolutionary effect on video as the original did for music and audio, but it's certainly going to help bring video podcasts* video blogs into the mainstream. No longer the shameful retarded younger brother of podcasts, VIDEO has it's own spot on the iTunes sidebar. And lookee there - Steve Jobs has Rocketboom and Tiki Bar TV cued up!

Thanks Chuck; APPLE IS VLOG-FRIENDLY 

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

What is the battery life of the PSP?
    What is the battery life of the iPod?

• User profile image
    billh

Although I have never purchased an i-Pod, and am a little interested in the "v-pod", this was starting to look more interesting to me...

• User profile image
    eagle

How about a vPod phone, or should I say how long till will see one?

• User profile image
    n4cer

eagle wrote:
    How about a vPod phone, or should I say how long till will see one?

Not a vPod, but Samsung has a Windows Smartphone (SGH-i300) w/ 3 GB harddrive that should come to the US soon (not sure if it's already in other markets).

http://www.samsung.com/me/products/mobilephones/gsm/sgh_i300.asp

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,9108&sid=80d8c948204f7d6b44f51fb3065ec1b2

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59859&sid=e80a16cc2a5595a10f3e8050d9e338d5

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.