Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Remote Support in Windows XP

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • michael.​janisch

Is there an easy way to control another PC for remote support  without using the messenger to establish the connection?

I do not mean a remote desktop session, I mean the remote support implemented in Windows XP Messenger, where I can share the screen, mouse and keyboard with the user on the remote PC.

I am using PC-Anywhere now but I think there must be a way to use the technology already implemented in Windows XP.

I do not want to buy a third party software when the whole stuff is already build in.

thanks for any ideas an this matter.

• Sven Groot

You can also send an invitation for remote assistance via e-mail.

• LaBomba

^^^
    Yes you can click remote assitance on your start menu, and send an invite through outlook.

You want a direct pc to pc connection......well obviously microsoft is going to make it so it's involved with one of their services.

Messenger, makes it very user friendly. I don't see why you would want it any other way?

- LB

• michael.​janisch

Yes, but what if the user on the remote PC has no mail client configured or problems with it.  This is one daily scenario for my support people.
    Now with PC-anywhere it's a 1-click solution to have control over the remote pc, having the user still on the phone.

• michael.​janisch

we support networks with a few hundred PC's and no messenger installed.

• Sven Groot

LaBomba wrote:
    Messenger, makes it very user friendly. I don't see why you would want it any other way?

Connecting over Messenger also has another advantage; it works when either of the two parties are using NAT (though not when both are, that'll never work). The e-mail invite will not work if the person sending the invite is behind NAT.

• Sven Groot

michael.janisch wrote:
    we support networks with a few hundred PC's and no messenger installed.

I don't think RA was designed with a corporate network scenario in mind.

• W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    michael.janisch wrote:we support networks with a few hundred PC's and no messenger installed.

I don't think RA was designed with a corporate network scenario in mind.

Actually... I remember reading something about Microsoft creating a "support center" application that sysadmins would use that the desktop users would connect to using Remote Assistance.

...shame it never made it out to RTM. Perhaps some of the Softies here could forward the suggestion?

• badriram

Use the following url in IE. It opens up part of the help center where you can offer someone remote assistance. I use it at work, however I do not know how well it works in a non domain environment.
    [hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm]

Or you go to Help and Support under XP, select Tools and there should be "Offer Remote Assistance". Or search for "offer remote assistance"

Badri

• MurphyB2005

Logmein.com ....fast free (trial) and easy to setup!!

• burtriddley

I just used copilot.com recently to setup my brothers new computer. It is based on VNC and works when both computers are behind a NAT. All traffic is tunneled through copilot's servers to the performance is so-so. (YMMV etc.). It is very simple to use. You've a client to run, but it's zero install. It's costs $10 per 24 hours.

• Thomas B

I use UltraVNC SingleClick (SC) Works like a charm, the user just launch a program then it automatically connects to my computer IP. Nothing to install.

Oh and it's free Wink

• Cybermagell​an

michael.janisch wrote:

I do not want to buy a third party software when the whole stuff is already build in.

thanks for any ideas an this matter.

Yeah I don't think your going to be able to find a built in solution. I did Network Admin for the Army for 5 years and had over 1,500 PC on two seperate domains (Total 3,000 PCs One Secret/NonSecret) and we either diagnosed the problem and sent an email on how to fix it or we pushed VNC on the next install script. Remote Assistance wasn't really "MultiPC minded" 

• Cider

This is something I had a look at.  Eventually, the only way I could see to manipulate Remote Assistance in a multi-user environment was that I wrote a pretty basic Call Management System in C#.

Basically, when a user has a problem, they load up the help system, type in the problem and then press commit.  That file then gets put into some sort of database (be it a proper database, each call as a file, or whatever).  The Remote Support also has an application, which monitors the database/directory/queue and then alerts the Support when a call enters the system.  The support guy then can Offer Remote Assistance, which is basically that hcp:// page someone else mentioned, and the Remote Assistance takes care of the rest.

Effectively, in my app, the CMS just acted as a handshake to twist the call around so the Remote Assistance functionality used was Offer Assistance.

I got some distance with it but it got bogged down in stupid politics.  Its something I would like to look at again, but am sure whether I would do it again using Remote Assistance, as the same CMS method could be used to wrap VNC.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.