Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Can WMP do this?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

No, no it can't.

...and people wonder why WMP never caught on amongst the gamer/photoshop community, despite having much more flexible skins.

Tell me, when will WMP allow playlist export to XHTML?

• User profile image
    Tensor

Maybe when it does, you'll be abel to put filters on to remove the embarasing tracks *cough* jamie cullum *cough*

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

enough with the skinning, this is the very last thing that programmers should worry about. just make it usable and a pleasure to use and people won't care what it looks like.

A la, google, gmail.

• User profile image
    bushidocoder

Cher and Kelly Clarkson?  W3bbo, we knew ye not.

Other than that, a pretty good playlist.

• User profile image
    Spitfire15

Where is the metal/heavy metal?

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

1) WMP can, indeed, do this. With the proper plug-in, just like Winamp.

2) The day a music player is rated by its ability to ego-publish my playlist on the web is a sad day indeed. I like WinAmp precisely because it's a slim, no-nonsense player.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Spitfire15 wrote:
    Where is the metal/heavy metal?

Well, there's plenty of "Nu-Metal" and "Generic Rock" like Queen

I'm not really into "heavy metal", I've been building up "Progressive Rock" instead, like Pink Floyd.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Yggdrasil wrote:
    1) WMP can, indeed, do this. With the proper plug-in, just like Winamp..

The problem with "WMPlugins.com" is that its too closed.

They don't allow user-submitted plugins or skins, it doesn't have the same "community" feel WinAMP.com has.

The WMP SDK could be distributed better too.

• User profile image
    Red5

W3bbo wrote:
    I'm not really into "heavy metal", I've been building up "Progressive Rock" instead, like Pink Floyd.

Say what?  I always considered Pink Floyd to be more "Classic Rock" in its genre, but progressive when it was released.  Maybe its a culture difference?

Speaking of which, looking forward to seeing AussieFloyd in a couple of weeks here in Minneapolis.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I have a question? Who cares about exporting playlists to XHTML? Why in the bloody bluest blazes of hell would I want to share my playlists?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rjdohnert wrote:
    I have a question? Who cares about exporting playlists to XHTML? Why in the bloody bluest blazes of hell would I want to share my playlists?

If you were...say, a computer "hacker" wannabee 13 yearold who thinks he's "elite" by putting his WinAMP playlist on his Tripod webspace and maybe on his MSN Spaces "blog" and LiveJournal?

• User profile image
    Tensor

Like, er, you have? :O

• User profile image
    andur

Here's the big question: do you actually legally own all of that music?

Totally pointless feature if you ask me.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

From here:

Set objPlayer = CreateObject("WMPlayer.OCX" )

Set objPlaylists = objPlayer.PlaylistCollection
    Set objAll = objPlaylists.getByName("Dire Straits Playlist")
    Set objList = objAll.Item(0)

For i = 0 to objList.Count - 1
        Set objSong = objList.Item(i)
        Wscript.Echo objSong.Name
    Next

Modify the echo line to suit. Write it to a file even.

• User profile image
    badriram

I do not know if you have tried opening the playlists in any text editor. They are in xml, however they do not have the standard notation on top. I am sure you could write a xslt that would output an xhtml from the playlist.

Ofcourse DCMonkey's solution would be better in the sense that you can obtain more information about the tracks if you need from the wmp library

• User profile image
    NetRyder

I personally don't find a feature like this important enough to be included in the media player itself. Besides, there are plugins one can install to enable this functionality, as someone already pointed out.

One of the features that I missed when I switched from iTunes to WMP10 (I never liked WMP9) was the ability to share the library easily and seamlessly across the network. I did find a plugin that was able to do it, but it wasn't quite as nicely implemented as the Rendezvous (now Bonjour) sharing that iTunes has. I still liked several other aspects of WMP10 enough that I gave up this feature and switched over.

I was just looking over the screenshots of Build 5231 and noticed that WMP11 will support media library sharing over the network.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/vista_ctp2_04.jpg

Good stuff. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.