Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone else fed up?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

I was just reading an article on Abcnews about violent video games, and just read on it that (and I paraphrase), "It doesn't matter what ratings the games are, kids will play them anyway."

Hello, doesn't someone have to "buy" them for the kid? Aren't you, as a responsible parent, supposed to know what your kids are watching on TV and playing for video games? Aren't you going to take responsibility for raising your child? Or are you just going to whine to the government to do something about it?

Sorry, guys and girls.. Just venting.. But, is anyone else fed up about crap like this?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

When I was 15 I bought "Postal 2", an ultraviolent game, banned in 14 countries, over Amazon using my dad's credit card without his knowing.

So no, I guess you can't stop them Wink

But hey... playing Postal2 never made me want to whack people's heads off with a spade, kick them around the street, urinate on people, throw molotov cocktails at Osama-bin-Laden lookalikes, nor shove a gun through the rear-end of a cat and use it as a silencer.

So... no, I don't believe that computer games cause behavioural changes to those who are emotionally stable and old enough to realise "its just a game". Whilst the sale of violent games certainly shouldn't be encourged to minors, I think the whole issue is overblown.

Its not as though your average 12 yearold hasn't seen an Arnold Swarzzenger film is it?

And since when did playing Cowboys and Indians as children turn people into Native-American hating xenophobe as they grew up?

• User profile image
    dahat

W3bbo wrote:
    I don't believe that computer games cause behavioural changes to those who are emotionally stable and old enough to realise "its just a game".

Isn’t that the problem though? You might know the difference or be able to keep things separate... but can everyone?

Last night I had the TV on and there was a documentary on about ‘thrill killings’, people (often kids) who go out and kill someone else who they often don’t know... just to see what it feels like. Thankfully, there are not many of those people out there... unfortunately there is no useful profile in determining who is likely to become such a killer.

For each person you have who can play a violent video game and keep it separated from reality without engaging in violence because of it... there is an unknown number of people who it will affect.

The campaigns against violent video games, firearms, various drugs, rap music, and who knows what else generally is out to protect us from those few who are irresponsible, rather than allowing the majority to make responsible choices.

• User profile image
    Red5

dahat wrote:

W3bbo wrote:I don't believe that computer games cause behavioural changes to those who are emotionally stable and old enough to realise "its just a game".

Isn’t that the problem though? You might know the difference or be able to keep things separate... but can everyone?

Last night I had the TV on and there was a documentary on about ‘thrill killings’, people (often kids) who go out and kill someone else who they often don’t know... just to see what it feels like. Thankfully, there are not many of those people out there... unfortunately there is no useful profile in determining who is likely to become such a killer.

For each person you have who can play a violent video game and keep it separated from reality without engaging in violence because of it... there is an unknown number of people who it will affect.

The campaigns against violent video games, firearms, various drugs, rap music, and who knows what else generally is out to protect us from those few who are irresponsible, rather than allowing the majority to make responsible choices.

Don't forget kitchen knives, baseball(wicket?) bats, matchsticks, and ballpoint pens.  All are very dangerous weapons in the hands of unstable people.

Bad people will almost always be bad people and will almost always do bad things, no matter what is legislated.

• User profile image
    BigZ

I can offer two sides to this discussion.  First as a father of 3, the onslaught of this type of material is often overwhelming.  And the constant arguement of "You're the parent, change the channel" gets kind of old and tired after a while.  I do very closely monitor and control the TV, movies, music, and video games that my children are exposed to; and let me restate: that is a full time job itself and can be very overwhelming.  And I have noticed very specific effects of certain types of games on my kids, not that I think any of them will be repeating columbine (sp?) anytime soon, but it does affect them.

The other side of it is I am avid gamer myself, I've been at it since video games were invented.  I definately don't like the idea of anyone telling me what I can play and what I cannot play, and in general I'm always weary when the govenment wants to "protect me".

It's difficult to reconcile the two, and as someone already pointed out, I cannot ALWAYS be there to make sure my kids aren't doing (or getting ahold of) something I don't want them to.  So where do you draw the line?

• User profile image
    Manip

When I was 15 I had a current account with Visa Electron; I could order anything I wanted from sites like Amazon without a problem... Completely bypassing any age restrictions.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Same I've had a Visa card hooked up to my bank account since about the age of 13. My parents didn't care what I played or watched on tv.

I don't like Americans for this reason, restrict the world and one day your kid will take it in with great excess.

Example: I have been "drinking" since age 12. A glass of wine with dinner, a beer after mowing the lawn with my dad, not an alcoholic but you know casual.

I go to college, kids are going OMFG BEER OMFG ALCOHOL and you know what, two girls i know went to the hospital for alcohol poisioning. i had a beer or two and enjoyed myself at a party, what in the flying hell is wrong with these people who drink till they die.

Exampl 2: Sex, my parents were very open about it, hell they let me watch those late nite cinemax movies because that is just plain life. Me in college: ok people flashing me, big deal, i've been to nude beaches in europe all the time. my friends OMFG DUDE LOOK MAMORIES TITTIES WHOA WHOA WHOA. Seriously.

As a kid who grew up with little to no restrictions please parents let your kids explore and enjoy the world. Otherwise they will consume the world in excess and crash and burn.

• User profile image
    Manip

DevilsRejection wrote:
    Exampl 2: Sex, my parents were very open about it, hell they let me watch

No wonder the devil rejected you.. Wink

• User profile image
    BigZ

DevilsRejection wrote:
    I don't like Americans for this reason, restrict the world and one day your kid will take it in with great excess.

I think that's an over-simplification;  I think there are distinct cultural influences that have a lot to do with the differences.  But I don't think we all want to get into that can of worms. Smiley

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Manip wrote:
    DevilsRejection wrote:Exampl 2: Sex, my parents were very open about it, hell they let me watch

No wonder the devil rejected you..

LMFAO talk about taking the wrong content

hey has this thread been keeping track of this Jack Thompson shenanigans, he sent the cops out to get Penny Arcade.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

DevilsRejection wrote:
    Same I've had a Visa card hooked up to my bank account since about the age of 13. My parents didn't care what I played or watched on tv.

Example: I have been "drinking" since age 12. A glass of wine with dinner, a beer after mowing the lawn with my dad, not an alcoholic but you know casual.

I go to college, kids are going OMFG BEER OMFG ALCOHOL and you know what, two girls i know went to the hospital for alcohol poisioning. i had a beer or two and enjoyed myself at a party, what in the flying hell is wrong with these people who drink till they die.

Exampl 2: Sex, my parents were very open about it, hell they let me watch those late nite cinemax movies because that is just plain life. Me in college: ok people flashing me, big deal, i've been to nude beaches in europe all the time. my friends OMFG DUDE LOOK MAMORIES TITTIES WHOA WHOA WHOA. Seriously.

As a kid who grew up with little to no restrictions please parents let your kids explore and enjoy the world. Otherwise they will consume the world in excess and crash and burn.

I agree with your position %100.

I raise my kids liberally and put as much responsibility on them as they are able to understand.

My goal is to protect my children. IMHO, ignorance is a bigger threat to my kids than loss of innocence.

I was raised strictly and exploded into the world without much common sense; everything fobidden was novel and had to be explored to the fullest extent to make up for lost time. Not so for my wife, she was raised liberally and has always kept her pace.

So, yes, DevilRehab, I agree with you.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

W3bbo wrote:
    When I was 15 I bought "Postal 2", an ultraviolent game, banned in 14 countries, over Amazon using my dad's credit card without his knowing.

Postal 2 is a great game just because its so insane.  Its trying very hard to be deliberately offensive.  I loved cat-silencers.

Anyhow, Jack Thompson = words that would be replaced by (I need to watch my language!!1)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

DoomBringer wrote:
    Postal 2 is a great game just because its so insane.  Its trying very hard to be deliberately offensive.  I loved cat-silencers.

"I guess it would be more politically correct to kill the women and the minorities first"

But the thing is, its impossible to win the game without killing people. For instance, when the Osama-bin-Laden lookalikes take-over the Church and convert it to a Mosque, its impossible to get outside without sniping the Osamas with the rocket launchers.

Or how about the fight with "Krotchy" in the shopping mall? you can try to run away but his homing rockets always kill you before you leave the store.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Not really fed up. I am not sure if beating a hooker and then getting your money back is respectable behavior. I think it is important for kids to understand things like respect and morals and if they are getting them from video games we have problems.

While I do not think we could prevent kids from getting the games they should at least know why they are restricted.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

W3bbo wrote:
    "I guess it would be more politically correct to kill the women and the minorities first"But the thing is, its impossible to win the game without killing people. For instance, when the Osama-bin-Laden lookalikes take-over the Church and convert it to a Mosque, its impossible to get outside without sniping the Osamas with the rocket launchers.Or how about the fight with "Krotchy" in the shopping mall? you can try to run away but his homing rockets always kill you before you leave the store.
    Well, you can make it through most of the game without killing too many people.  Sure, I usually went bat (I need to watch my language) loco and killed everyone, but I did try it without killing too many.  It was a bit of a challenge at times.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

harumscarum wrote:
    Not really fed up. I am not sure if beating a hooker and then getting your money back is respectable behavior. I think it is important for kids to understand things like respect and morals and if they are getting them from video games we have problems.

While I do not think we could prevent kids from getting the games they should at least know why they are restricted.

Children should not be permitted to play M rated games.  Its the same thing as R rated movies.  They shouldn't be able to buy them.

That said, I'll wager that violent video games aren't terrible and destructive to one's mental state.  I'd be more worried about a 16 year old buying a 9mm and several hundred rounds than a 15 year old playing Doom3.

• User profile image
    Prelsidente

I completely agree with DevilsRejection. I'm from Europe but once in a while travel to the states and I get amazed with the amount of censorship and over-protection of everything. What happened to your freedom?

Anyway, I'm fed up too. Is there something we can do about it?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.