Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Learning Another Foreign Language

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

After having been learning English for nearly ten years(from secondary school to college), I plan to learn a second foreign language, here is some candidate languages I like to learn:

• German
    • French
    • Italian
    • Spanish
    • Portuguese
    • Russian
    • Other
    So which language do you guys think is more suitable to a Chinese learner?
    Disclaimer: I won't plan to learn some Asian languages such as Japanese, Korean or Thai etc

Sheva

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

French, it is the only language other than English that anyone should know to be able to communicate in Europe. Go for French, the language of Diplomacy.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Dutch! Tongue Out

If you're going to, you might as well pick the one that many people view as the most difficult and the most impossible to pronounce of the European languages. Smiley

I mean, who needs grammar rules? We have an exception for virtually everything! Likes articles: they have gender, but we just attach them randomly making horses genderless and chairs male.

• User profile image
    Tensor

As you speak Chinese and English, why not go for Spanish - that way, you have most of the world covered.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Why not an Indian language like Punjabi, they are your closest neighbours.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

There is no 1 Dutch language. The Dutch, spoken in Belgium is totally different from the Dutch, spoken in The Netherlands. Even within Belgium, there's a big difference between the Dutch spoken in the different areas.

• User profile image
    footballism

Tensor wrote:
    As you speak Chinese and English, why not go for Spanish - that way, you have most of the world covered.

Good idea:p
    AFAIK Spanish is much simpler than any other European languages in terms of pronunciation and grammar.

Sheva

• User profile image
    footballism

Harlequin wrote:

Why not an Indian language like Punjabi, they are your closest neighbours.

I've said that I wouldn't plan to learn any Asian language except my mother tongue:p

Sheva

• User profile image
    footballism

DevilsRejection wrote:

French, it is the only language other than English that anyone should know to be able to communicate in Europe. Go for French, the language of Diplomacy.

I've dabbled with French for a quite short period of time, and from my understanding, French words are hard to pronounce, what's more French grammar is quite complex, every noun in French has a gender and this is quite different from Chinese and English.

Sheva

• User profile image
    Tensor

I think you will find all the Romantic European languages have gender - so thats French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese.

Of those, I have been told that Italian is the easiest to learn. Spanish is the mostly widely spoken, though.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

If you think French is harder than Chinese then you have problems lol. And if you know Frecnh you can learn Spanish, and Italian and Portugese very quickly since they are all the same Latin derivative.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

TommyCarlier wrote:
    There is no 1 Dutch language. The Dutch, spoken in Belgium is totally different from the Dutch, spoken in The Netherlands. Even within Belgium, there's a big difference between the Dutch spoken in the different areas.

There is only one official Dutch, known as Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands (General Civilized Dutch). Flemish, despite being spoken in another country (Belgium), is actually quite similar to Dutch; sure there are some different words an expressions, but most Dutch people can understand Flemish and most Flemish people can understand Dutch, at least to some degree. The other true Dutch dialects, Fries and Limburgs, despite being spoken inside the Netherlands, are actually much harder to understand.

Seriously though, I recommend Spanish for the reasons given by others already. Of course, there is no one Spanish either... take for instance the Andalusian dialect.

• User profile image
    Wil

Although the Chinese and Russians have had their fallings out from time to time,  there are still plenty of Russian instructors in China from "the old days" when the two countries were close allies, and of course Russia is still your next-door neighbor.  For those reasons, and because Russian is an important language for science and engineering, you may find more use for it there in China than you would for the other languages on your list.  Of course, your training in English won't help you very much in learning Russian - the two languages are not especially similar.

• User profile image
    Karim

If Chinese is your native language, you are proficient in English, and decide to learn Arabic, you'll probably ALWAYS be able to get a job working in an intelligence agency.  LOL

• User profile image
    Shiv

i was suggested spanish will be better (its another matter that i don't know any europian language other than english)

how about chinese or japanese. are they similar ? which is easier to learn?

• User profile image
    jlowgren

Swedish, for no particular reason what so ever.

Edit: Although you will likely be able to understand Danish and Norwegian as well if you do decide to take on Swedish.

• User profile image
    dahat

You could always go with the language from which many of the European languages were in some way based... Latin!

• User profile image
    Karim

jlowgren wrote:
    Swedish, for no particular reason what so ever.

I wanted to learn Swedish for several reasons:

1) the indescribably wonderful album by the group Komeda, Pop På Svenska ("Pop in Swedish") 

2) to understand the nuances of character dialogue in Ingmar Bergman movies (apparently Wild Strawberries should be really called Strawberry Patch?)

3) the Swedish Bikini Team

4) the hope that the product names in the Ikea catalogue would make more sense

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.