Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Launch 2005 Screencast Contest

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

Be a video jockey! Create a screencast starring Microsoft Visual Studio Team System, Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005 or BizTalk Server 2006...and you!

The Microsoft East Region Developer Evangelism Team and TechSmith have come together to promote the Launch Tour 2005 with a screencasting contest. To join in the fun - and competition - download a free, 30-day version of Camtasia Studio. Then record all your onscreen action, your audio, and even your webcam feed...to show off your rock star personality.

Winners will be selected for the following tour cities: New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Atlanta, and Orlando. If you have a winning entry, you will receive backstage passes and rock-star treatment at the event, as well as various prizes, including a copy of Camtasia Studio. For the New York City event, the grand prize winner will also be flown to New York City (From within the continental US) to give a demo live, onstage, during the Steve Guggenheimer keynote!

The winning screencasts will be featured here on Channel9.

1. Register for the event you'll be attending.
    2. Send your AVI screencast submission to Thom Robbins. Entries must be received at least 2 days prior to each event.

Official rules, Camtasia download information and additonal details can be found here.

Good luck!

• User profile image
    Manip

No terms and conditions? ... So I could be a Microsoft employee or be in the UK? ... Is this open to UK-ers? ...?

• User profile image
    javamdk

Why can't a winner be selected from the Chicago tour? [C]

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Or anaheim, ca?  Sad

• User profile image
    trobbins

I think these are all great questions. We have posted the rules for the contest here -

http://www.techsmith.com/community/launchcontest.asp

We are only offering back stage passes for the New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Atlanta, and Orlando.  For these locations you are responsible for getting yourself to the launch location.

For the Super Star who wins for New York you must be located in the Continental US.

• User profile image
    Lorin

Wow, neat-o!  This should be lots of fun.  Please don't be offended if I sign up for the New York launch, but actually plan on attending the Anaheim one since it's closest to me.  That is unless by some amazing stroke of luck my submission gets chosen!

A few questions:

1. Can you submit more than one video?  Don't worry, I won't inundate you folks, at most probably 3 videos.

2. After the event, can I use any video(s) I've created that are not chosen for my own purposes?  (I just want to post it on my website recompressed as good quality WMVs, free of charge for viewers.)

3. The info on the TechSmith site mentions "not to be afraid of the webcam".  Would it be okay to use a camcorder to get better quality video, and then edit that part in later as a "picture in picture" type window of my mug, yappin' as I'm typin' along?  (Pretty easy to accomplish using two great freeware tools: AVISynth and VirtualDub.)  The big advantage there is less processor overhead while recording the keystrokes, so a smoother looking video overall.

4. What is the recommended resolution for capturing?  The screencasts I've seen on C9 are 1024x768.  I just wanted to verify that this is a good choice.

Again, sounds very cool.

-Lorin

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.