Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New Shared Source licenses

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Hey guys, its nice to see MS taking this approach and making their shared source licenses more understandable.  In the article it says you guys wont approach the OSI to get any of them certified as an Open Source license.  Probably a good move.  You're Microsoft and they would probably turn you down.  Not because they are trying to trim licenses but for other reasons.

Good move guys.

• User profile image
    jamie

i saw that ... went to check out the new Sample galleries

Checked out the Personal Website template.. no RSS, no comments, etc

plus you have to register - and click i agree to Licence

meanwhile - most ASP templates you just download = no muss no fuss

Seeing as ASP is your tech - why all the hoops and licencing to begin with

Just make some code - make it run on Windows / IIS and release it FREE.  Make it do way more

Non event from over here

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Doesnt really much matter to me, When the Mac goes Intel Im moving the household over to Macs.  Im keeping a close eye on Mono as well.  That doesnt mean Im going to dump Microsoft at work or anything like that, even if I did I would still use the server products.  But for my own personal use, Im going Mac.

Beer28 wrote:
    rj, before you get all excited. Check out what they are sharing...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/Licensing/Developer.mspx

Rotor was previously available, there's a wiki and a template library source. The entire source for MFC was available for years in the includes and src folders with visual C++.

This stuff seems like token shared source. Like they closed it just for the purpose of opening it as shared source just to say they have shared source available to developers.

EDIT: Like if Gnome src was closed next week, and pulled it from the public CVS, only to have the gnome.org team announce that they should be applauded for rereleasing it under a shared BSD license a week later. Except gnome is way too extensive and valuable to be compared to what they released.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.