Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

So Microsoft.....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

:PSo Microsoft.....

What's up with most Microsofties beginning most of their sentences with the word "So"?

For example: A conversation i had with a microsoft employee

ME: Hey, how are you?
    Microsoftie: So, i'm fine.

Every question you ask them, they'll start their reply with: "So....

I've noticed that from talking to them in person and on the Channel 9 vids, they all seem to do it.

Is it some sort of training you guys go through?

Just curious.

- LB

Edit: Nevermind, it's probably because most of you are nerdy programmers. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Larsenal

I've noticed the same thing.  Is it a MSFT thing or a regional thing?  I've never heard someone use that audible pause so frequently.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

It's a tactic...

Using So, is like saying "yes I am entertaining your question however I have to do it in a correct and professional manner...so I'm going to answer you however I'm thinking."

It's better than if they said "Um..."

• User profile image
    kriskdf

So are you saying there is something wrong with how we talk?

• User profile image
    Carlos Luna

Beer28 wrote:
    Furthermore, I suspect a plot where a few select MS employees plotted to propogate the use of the interjection "so...." immediately after seeing the film office space 6 years ago to create a domino effect in the industry(or at least their own company). They have so many people over there that speak english as a 2nd language, that it would be a prime seeding ground for injecting a useless interjection from a movie into people's everyday vernacular as some cruel inside joke.

So, who are youuuuuu? Big Smile

• User profile image
    LaBomba

kriskdf wrote:
    So are you saying there is something wrong with how we talk?

So what if there is?

I hear at google, they all start their sentences off with: "Well".

-LB

• User profile image
    mabster

That recent InfoPath video was a cracker - three or four times one of the women tried to start a sentence, but was interrupted each time. Each time she false-started, she was rephrasing the sentence (which is nothing out of the ordinary), yet each time she began the sentence with "so".

From my blog a while back: Scoble: Time for a "So" Jar.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

So, it's all my fault. Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

scobleizer wrote:

Once you get those transcripts down, I'll run a quick script on them to count the number of times "so" is seen.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

scobleizer wrote:

So, what else is new? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    JChung2006

So... maybe it's a Seattle or Pacific Northwest thing?  Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's not really any more annoying than Canadians ending every sentence they utter with "eh?"  Oh wait that's really, really annoying!

"Super" annoying even.  Haha, just kidding Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

Larsenal wrote:
    I've noticed the same thing.  Is it a MSFT thing or a regional thing?  I've never heard someone use that audible pause so frequently.

Fun time. Next time you watch someone present and have a Q&A session watch them repeat the question.

It's a great pause while you think "What the heck is the answer to this one?"

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

It's also good to repeat the question to make sure the whole audience knows what was it was.  SO a time to think and its helpful to the audience.

• User profile image
    blowdart

AdamKinney wrote:
    It's also good to repeat the question to make sure the whole audience knows what was it was.  SO a time to think and its helpful to the audience.

Yea I use the it's helpful excuse too Big Smile

• User profile image
    nineguycrazy

WOT R U ON ABOUT??? Mad   

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.