Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

New Microsoft Hardware!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Carlos

Hi!

Greetings from the MS Hardware team...

We've finally started releasing some of this year's new products...

Care to take a look and tell me what you think?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2004/jul04/07-08StarckMouse.asp

Carlos

• Manip

If I wanted pretty arty rubbish I would buy a Mac, I think Microsoft are moving in the wrong direction and I think sales will reflect that. PC uses want functionality and comfort not something that looks all nice but hurts your hands after a few hours.

Also if Microsoft thinks throwing around designer names is going to increase sales then they are clearly living in their own little dream world (this is not the fashion industry, nobody cares!!).

• life

OMG! Same guy that did the C9 doll? It looks like a p***y.  (and that isn't all bad ya know).

• lenn

Manip wrote:

If I wanted pretty arty rubbish I would buy a Mac, I think Microsoft are moving in the wrong direction and I think sales will reflect that. PC uses want functionality and comfort not something that looks all nice but hurts your hands after a few hours.

Also if Microsoft thinks throwing around designer names is going to increase sales then they are clearly living in their own little dream world (this is not the fashion industry, nobody cares!!).

Personally ... I think this is brilliant and I hope to see MORE of this type of work and not less.  You don't have to be a Mac user to appreciate the value of good design.  Good design makes tools more functional when done right and adds beauty to our surroundings.  Personally I dream that Apple would make hardware for Windows.  It looks stunning in my home.  Yet I struggle to find a PC that I do not want to hide away in a closet or under a desk.  Bringing talent like Phillipe to Microsoft is a GOOD thing. 

Not everyone will want one ... not everyone will buy one.  But there is a class of consumer out there who is underserved and never gets to enjoy using a great OS on beautiful hardware because there are few options for them. 

Bravo ... more more more. 

• jackbrewster

I saw a Kenneth Cole mouse in our local Big Lots! (overstock resellers - i.e. bargain basement) just the other day.  It was on sale for $6. How long till I see this designer mouse there?

Does the blue and orange light make my computer go faster?  Stop BSODs?  Secure my wireless network?

Apple has already cornered the market on color as a feature.  Let them have it.  Get back to work on keyboards that aren't broken with F-keys or non-standard layouts.

• MisterDonut

Manip wrote:

If I wanted pretty arty rubbish I would buy a Mac,

I think that sums up my opinion. I would like to know how practical the mouse is, ease of use, etc.. Currently, I use an MS Bluetooth mouse and like most things about it (although a re-charging station would be nice..).

If Microsoft is going to go in the artsy direction, they need to have matching keyboard / monitor / computer, etc.. After all, the same people that are most likely attracted to the new-age mouse would not want to put it next to a square-box-of-a-computer.

Lastly, if Microsoft is trying to attract the more artsy people, like graphic designers, etc.., they need to convince them that not only can they do the same things on Windows that they can with a Mac, but that it is better for them to do so.. I.E., Microsoft's own "switch" campaign.

I wish them the best of luck, however. I can't stand most of the Mac designs.. Gimme a plain old box with a monitor.. Smiley

• JKelley

I personally don't mind the color or basic shape of the mouse.  It looks more distinctive than the Intellimouse Explorer sitting on my desk with its eerie red glow coming from under it.  I do have one comment about it, and I have the same problem with my Logitech mouse I use at home.  The thumb button is placed right where I tend to rest my thumb leading to accidental clicks.  The Logitech goes one worse and makes the button slightly undersized in height so when you DO mean to click it its very awkward.  I like the button placement on my Intellimouse (dual extra buttons on either side of the mouse raised up so I have to hit them on purpose).  I do miss being able to map the right extra button to bring up the Explorer window though.  The last version of the mouse software I installed got rid of that VERY useful feature.

If it has enough buttons for gaming, looks like modern art, and doesn't kill my hand after a couple hours then I'm all for it.  Ergonomics does not have to mean the end of pleasing visual design.

-Jeremy

• Jaz

I love the look of the stark mouse, i think it's really nice, and i can't wait to get my hand on it so i can see how nice it is to use, or horrible i guess. 

will it go on sale in the Uk or this american only Sad

• Shining Arcanine

Are those two hemispheres mouse buttons? Does this make the mouse easier to use? Why should someone who cares more about the comfort of the design (MouseMan) rather than how "high tech" it looks buy this mouse? Is it infrared? Is it Wireless? Does it have a Lithium Polymer battery?

lenn wrote:
    Manip wrote:

Personally ... I think this is brilliant and I hope to see MORE of this type of work and not less.  You don't have to be a Mac user to appreciate the value of good design.  Good design makes tools more functional when done right and adds beauty to our surroundings.  Personally I dream that Apple would make hardware for Windows.  It looks stunning in my home.  Yet I struggle to find a PC that I do not want to hide away in a closet or under a desk.  Bringing talent like Phillipe to Microsoft is a GOOD thing. 

Not everyone will want one ... not everyone will buy one.  But there is a class of consumer out there who is underserved and never gets to enjoy using a great OS on beautiful hardware because there are few options for them. 

Bravo ... more more more. 

Personally, I think Dell has the best designs on the market.

Jaz wrote:
    I love the look of the stark mouse, i think it's really nice, and i can't wait to get my hand on it so i can see how nice it is to use, or horrible i guess. 

will it go on sale in the Uk or this american only Sad

I don't see why it wouldn't be avaliable worldwide.

• themaffeo

Manip wrote:

Ha! If macintosh though that by making a sleek, cute little iMac they will increase sales they are clearly living in their own little dreamworld! This isn't the fashion industry!

Ha! If ferrari thinks by making their cars as sexy as all get out they will increase sales despite ridiculous prices they are living in their own little dream world!  This isnt the fashion industry!

Ha! If Motorola thinks that by making their cell phones small, curvy and flippy they will increase sales they are living in their own little dream world! This isnt the fashion industry!

Nobody cares!

Except for, uhhh the customers, but ... oh yea... wait...

P.S.

Sorry to be snarky manip, but I was a little taken aback at your response to someone proudly showing off their new wares.

• lars

Some people even put windows (the not the software) in their computer cases and light it up like an xmas tree. So there is a market.

• Shining Arcanine

themaffeo wrote:
    Ha! If Motorola thinks that by making their cell phones small, curvy and flippy they will increase sales they are living in their own little dream world! This isnt the fashion industry!

The quality of their phones has actually gone down since they started that.

• themaffeo

Carlos wrote:

Care to take a look and tell me what you think?

I like its look (i'm a sucker for glowing blue or green lights).

What woudl be the real kicker for me is how it feels.  If the price is right I'd probably put down for one (to get all my co-workers to go 'ooooo!') but if it doesnt feel good....

Keep up the good work though.

• eagle

PC's are changing, modding is cool...computers are changing shape, Windows Embedded will soon be networking everything to your PC.

• Carlos

Yikes!
    Thanx for the feedback (all of it!)

I really like seeing what you guys think, like and don't like... one day we'll hit the holly grail of mice that EVERYBODY will have no option but to immediately fall in love with... Smiley

A few replys to some of the comments:

Worldwide availability? It actually launched in Europe first, but it should be soon available in the US. Other markets? Typically we do a pretty good job of covering the Americas, Europe and Asia so I think it should be soon worldwide available. (sorry, engineering is my area, not logistics)

Is it confy to hold? do you accidentally push the buttons?

Those were actually two of the main concerns of that product. Some of the discussion points with Stark were making the living hinges so that you would NOT accidentally press the buttons. You guys will tell us if we got it right Smiley

Does it look cool?
    You bet! we've never put that many cool colored LEDs in anything before... and the wheel is translucent to match the color... very very cool looking if you ask me... BTW it still has the RED light underneath (the one that is used to track)

How functional is it?
    Well it only has 3 buttons (left right and wheel), and the wheel is the regular wheel (not the smooth scrolling, side tilting one), the big strength of this mouse is the design. 

Do we think cool looking mice sell well? We really hope so... and we'll find out Smiley

You may also want to check out the new skins of the wireless mice, I know that at least 3 new ones that are out there...

Carlos.

• Jaz

carlos, could you hint that if starcks mouse takes off big then maybe more designers will be asked to do something?

• eagle

Just saw that mouse at the Partner Conference here in Toronto...was more impressed with the next wireless keyboard/mouse combo coming out for $79. I will be using them with all the systems I build from here on!

• FrankCarr

All I want is the functionality that was in the 4.12 mouse drivers to be restored in the 5.0 drivers. That's all. No fancy artsy mouse can compensate for cutting 50% of the functionality of the underlying driver.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.