Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista Features - What we want

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Khamul

A feature I believe Windows Vista (or any version of Windows for that matter) needs is a stay-on-top option built into the shell for every window.

• User profile image
    AndyD

That sounds like a nice addition. It could well be this sort of functionality that may be small but is very useful and makes Windows even better to use.

Personally what I'd like to see is something that stops windows stealing focus. It's really annoying when you're typing away and another window takes focus, forcing me to stop, give focus back to the original window and then work out where I had got to.Mad

• User profile image
    Manip

I think Microsoft should fix the: "Prevent Applications from Stealing Focus"  - so that it really works as it should, and doesn't turn off every hour.

I'm REALLY sick of typing and then having a IM window stealing focus when I have told it NOT TO DO EXACTLY THAT!

Always on top for every window would be helpful but only in a limited way, it would become a pain to have to turn on and off.

You could even write an application today that would do what you're asking, it wouldn't even be a challenge. Just get a list of running windows, pull their HWNDs, send them a SetWindowPos() and it is as good as done. Of course doing so might leave applications designed to run in 'On Top' mode in an unknown state which could result in incorrect information to the user or a crash.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip wrote:

You could even write an application today that would do what you're asking, it wouldn't even be a challenge. Just get a list of running windows, pull their HWNDs, send them a SetWindowPos() and it is as good as done.

It's even easier than that. All it takes is two lines of C:
    LONG_PTR exStyle = GetWindowLongPtr(hwnd, GWL_EX_STYLE);
    SetWindowLongPtr(hwnd, GWL_EX_STYLE, exStyle | WS_EX_TOPMOST);

That's all that's needed to make any window stay on top, and it would have no effect on windows that are already that way. There are already plenty of third party utils out there that can do this.

• User profile image
    Eduardo

Thats what **YOU** want Big Smile
    There's probably 400 gazillions apps to manipulate windows, go search

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.